News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

if you designed a w116 what would you change?

Started by gf, 26 February 2011, 07:05 AM

goldacre

Redesign the heater air mixing flaps so they do not jam when the feeble foam fades away. Agree there could be more effort to increase sound deadening material in keeping with the S class status.

G
12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

flutes

- Decent side mirrors (and electric)
- Properly designed electric windows
- More/better sound deadening
- A mirror and light on the driver sun visor (really scraping the bottom of the barrel here)
- A linear fuel gauge
- Whatever is it that's going to fail in my gearbox in the next few years and require a rebuild (can't remember what part it is but my mechanic has had a washer machined to fix the problem in other w116s)
- Chromed metal, not anodised aluminium around the window trimmings

And as others have mentioned:
- seat controls
- overdrive
- better designed drainage channels

For a 30 year old car, that's an incredibly short list.
Matt
1977 450SEL

pompy

Oh yes... I'd kill some of that road noise too

KenM

Agree with Joe's 3rd point, the fact that you cannot fully shut off the outside air coming in annoys me intensely, why the hell did'nt they think of this? Surely they had traffic jams in Germany in the 70's? I don't drive mine in the city, especially during summer cause you want the a/c on but then you're choking on fumes at the same time. grrrr.
Apart from that, it seems we are in fact the ones who are at fault, it's just that more people need to take up smoking, then the car would suit perfectly.. :-\

TJ 450

Yes, there is a recirc flap... the A/C needs to be in "DEF" mode though (blue knob turned clockwise all the way, or at least into the segment at the end.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

foss

The thing i would change is on the right hand drive cars the bonnet (hood) release lever is on the passenger side. >:( It's a small thing but very annoying.

1979 450sel 6.9 SOLD BACK TO ROBERT D.
2002 745i
1978 450sel 148,000kms SOLD
2004 S430
2019 S350D AMG line

gf

I think id agree with just about all the points made. And yes it is a really short list actually!Now if we could just post this to mercedes maybe they could remanufacture this car with modern saftey features. Id bet thered be quite a few buyers waiting. Maybe its performance would be lousy compared to a modern equivalent. but the buyer would know exactly what theyre getting and thats worth alot!!!!!!

gf

And its really interesting the whole cupholder/ food/ciggarette thing and how its changed. 20 years ago i remember a teacher saying whos dad lets you eat in the car? only 2 or so kids put their hands up in the whole class.A decade ago half the smokers would smoke in a car- not anymore! at least in australia

scraf

Maybe make the heater fan a tad more accessible ?

johnnyw116

i would change nothing

greetings : johnny  .                                             
JohnnyW116

jbrasile

Tim,

Def mode on the manual a/c system still alows 20% of outside air in. The flap in the air box does not close the opening completely, it is designed that way from the factory. It is possible however to modify it so it does give you 100% re-circulating air.

Tks,

Joe

Stork

Mine is fine but galvanizing the body would have been a smart production stop. If only.... there would be many many more W116's in the world!
Manual transmission for all markets...
Euro bumper kits (for US version) if you felt like giving the finger to the safety agency...
Aluminum hood and trunk option for non diesel W116
Different steel wheel size options
Larger fuel tank option
Maybe a race kit for the carb models, i.e. Intake manifold, maybe a double Solex setup, that would be cool...
Robert

Big_Richard

I think a re-release of the w116 today would be awesome,

modern engine & drive-line range - the 6.9 would be replaced with the AMG 6.2 litre v8 ;) etc..

interior to remain true to the style but incorporate modern creature comforts and technology etc.

Only problem is, reality -  the car would never pass any current safety or crash tests and to do so it would be so heavily modified that it would look nothing like the original version and be half made out of plastic. Probably would look as ugly as sin too :)

SO the next best thing is, buy one and do it yourself  ::)

koan

MT, so you don't think MB will be working on a retro look 116 for release soon, like the beetle, fiat, mini etc.?

Nor do I !

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

1974450SEL

Most definitely an overdrive to maximize gas mileage. 
Faster power windows.
Slightly larger outside mirrors.  (stretching here as well)

Crash tests: I bet this car would hold a candle and then some with today's standards.  There is more STEEL on this care than most today.  I feel safer in this care than I do most modern versions, especially the small compacts like the corolla, Honda, ect..