News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

if you designed a w116 what would you change?

Started by gf, 26 February 2011, 07:05 AM

gf

Given the technological limitations of the time, if you designed this car what would you change? As im not mechanically minded, ill say its the manual seat tilting dials. they should be on the opposite side of the seat. Lumbar adjustment would be nice, maybe power assisted drop down disco ball at the back seat disco ball with MB logo, sharpened star for potential theives, thats all i can think of at the moment

oscar

Quote from: gf on 26 February 2011, 07:05 AM
the manual seat tilting dials. they should be on the opposite side of the seat.

Are yours towards the doors or transmission tunnel?  Generally speaking, early cars are towards the door and later cars, say 76 onwards have theirs towards the transmission tunnel, and later ones than that have dials that are much easier to grip.  So there's a possibility to swap front seats out to ones with dials where you want them.  FWIW, when it comes to tilting back rests, if not for electrics, I just wish they had levers rather than dials.

I don't mind that my 350 is devoid of some luxuries like power windows, power antenna etc, but if there's a couple of things I wish it did have it would have to be a true overdrive gear that would give better fuel economy on the highway.  I reckon all of the models could do with a better final drive ratio.  The other thing I miss but would like is some adjustability in the steering column too. 

Oh, I'd also like separate armrests for both front seats.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

calvin streeting

Drain points on body work.. basicaly engenier out common rust points..ie maybe a different sunroof tray material...

TJ 450

I'll go with Calvin's suggestion, and I think the seat back adjusters are second. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything, not even the gearbox.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

pompy

I'd give the V8's 4spd boxes or at least shorter 1st gears!

nathan

1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

WGB

Seven speed automatic and less overall noise - ESP wind noise.

Bill

adamb

An invisibility cloak when going past police at high speed  :P :P :P

Hemersam

My wife would ride in my '78 280SE if it DID have cup holders!
Hemersam

thysonsacclaim

Funny... no cup holders, but there are copious ashtrays!

I think my only changes, besides maybe an over drive gear that Oscar mentioned would be more storage cubbies in the front cabin and different placement of the fill cap and no groove where the upper chrome pieces abut the roof.

I find going from my truck to the 116 a little different because I use the little storage areas quite a bit. I think if I never used them in the truck I probably wouldn't miss them in the car, though.

For the fill cap, get a lot of rain that falls sideways. I found water in there when I opened the lid twice when getting gas.

And the chrome pieces are a nice touch, but I don't like that they catch twigs, acorns and leaves. Not found rust there, despite the debris Ive cleaned out.

In a perfect world, I'd never have to park near / under a tree.

oscar

Quote from: adamb on 26 February 2011, 06:10 PM
An invisibility cloak when going past police at high speed  :P :P :P

Brilliant :D

Quote from: thysonsacclaim on 26 February 2011, 08:37 PM
Funny... no cup holders, but there are copious ashtrays!
Cup holders v ashtrays.  Reminds me of robertd's goldie with a his and hers ashtray for the front.  Gives you an idea that instead of the ashtrays cup holders could be conveniently hidden in the lower dash behind a nice strip of zebrano.
But I echo the need for cup holders.  Don't know how many times in the past I've got a drink with a meal say from a drive thru and forgot to upsize to a bottle rather than a can or cardboard cup.  Doh!! And they just don't sell take away coffee in a container with a screw top.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

Ash trays were the cup holders of the 70's, and I don't think beverage consumption in cars would have been accepted in anything other than a purpose build stretched limousine, or a 600.

Actually, I wonder if 600s had cup holders?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

thysonsacclaim

Very true. It's still common to not eat or drink in some countries while in a car. I knew a couple exchange students from Japan and they found it appalling to eat while walking down the street or driving in a car. Very interesting that it wasn't too long ago and it was the same way in other places too

Type17

I'd specify a fully galvanised bodyshell. Although my own 116 has minimal corrosion issues, due to its sheltered life, rust is the biggest scourge of cars made before the 90's.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

jbrasile

1) I think I would improve the acoustics of the interior so you could have a decent sound system, better speaker locations, larger holes, etc...

2) A passenger side  electric mirror would be nice - actually in theory this is a possible mod using a mirror from a late 107

3) Deletion of the dreaded ACC as an option and have only the manual a/c system available with the possibility of having 100% recirc air for improved cooling - also a possible mod, I it did on my client's green 6.9 featured here, you just need to fabricate a flap to cover the surrounding area of the fresh air box that lets 20% outside air in.

4) Improved breathing for the Solex 4A1 carb on 280S's - if you look at how the air hose is routed it gives me the impression that MB could have done it  better.

Joe