News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

if you designed a w116 what would you change?

Started by gf, 26 February 2011, 07:05 AM

toxonix

I would have changed the rust :)
I cursed all of the drain spouts the first time I saw them and the hidden rot they caused. Water should go around the car, not through it. I do think they designed the car to be self draining should someone decide to stick a fire hose in the sun roof. But the drains are the major reason for its rusting.
Made a light weight option. Hood, trunk lid would be aluminum skinned with stamped aluminum girders. The seat frames and rear subframe could also be aluminum, although the subframe would be cost prohibitive compared to steel.

Big_Richard

was the technology available in the 70s to construct a decent monocoque aluminum chassis that also performed satisfactorily in regards to safety ?

If so, it should of been done. given the cost of these cars new, the ultra soft mild steel they are constructed from is my #1 complaint.  8)

Casey

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 12 May 2011, 04:51 PM
was the technology available in the 70s to construct a decent monocoque aluminum chassis that also performed satisfactorily in regards to safety ?

"Satisfactory safety" and the amazing safety these are known for are two very different things.  I prefer them as they are, though stainless steel would have been nice... ;)

I thought of one other thing I'd improve - the damn gas cap cover.  It's design leads to inevitable chipping up of the paint from fuel nozzles.  If I ever repaint my car, I'm going to have to carry a rag with me everywhere I go to stuff in between the lid and the nozzle every time I refuel, unless I can think of some sort of clever guard that will not show when the lid is closed.