News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

I miss my car... :(

Started by Neko, 07 June 2011, 12:21 AM

Neko

A few weeks ago, my '77 280SE just stopped working. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I know it happened the day after I topped up my oil, although I don't see how that could stop my engine from turning over. In short, I haven't driven it in about a month now, and it just sits in my garage. As weird as it sounds, it kinda hurts to just see it gathering dust. It needs to be on the road, not stuck in the garage. I'm hoping to have it fixed soon, but it all depends on money. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt2vWUc_tO0

koan

What's wrong with it?

Does it crank and not start?

Does it crank at all?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Neko

Yeah, the engine is turning, but it never actually starts. There are points when it seems like it'll turn over, but it never quite does. There's a clicky, gassy kind of sound that goes when turning, as well... I'm not sure how to describe it. It definitely isn't normal. It wasn't doing ANYTHING to start with, I cleaned the wires connected to the starter with sandpaper, and re-insulated them, and the car was then actually making noise at that point. The engine isn't seized, as I can turn the engine by hand. The starter motor is impossible to take out ourselves, it has been placed in the worst possible position.

Do you have any idea what it could be? There were NO warning signs before this happened. I simply drove into my garage, switched the car off, waited a few hours, put some oil in, and then then next day, it just didn't want to start.

arman

Does the fuel pump go when you turn the ignition? I had it once that i blew an old fuse that was for the fuel pump among others. I had to replace the fuse in the fuse box. Very easy... as soon as one has determined the cause.

Hope it is that simple :)
1974 W116 450 SEL 340.000km
Black exterior (040), olive green velours interior (966)
[url="http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/"]http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/[/url]

Neko

None of my fuses are blown, and I've checked my fuel pump, and it's working. I'm really not sure what it could be. Thanks for the advice, though. :(

jbrasile

Neko, if I understand correctly, does the starter actually turn the engine but it fails to start? or it wont even turn it?

Is the sound you describe a tec tec tec tec tec tec and the starter won't turn the engine when you hear it?

If you could post a video of what happens I am sure we will be able to help.

Tks,

Joe

1980sdga

The engine has to turn over fast enough for ignition. On top of that you need spark and fuel.

1- Make sure the battery is OK and it's spinning the engine fast enough when cranking with the key.

2- Make sure you're getting enough "fire" at the spark plugs. Maybe put an old plug on a plug wire from the distributor, then ground it to the block while a friend cranks the engine and look for spark. You may not need to "see" anything. Stop after you pee your pants  ;)

3- Ensure that fuel is getting to the engine.  I don't know much about FI systems but if you have cranking speed and spark at the plugs you could see if it'll run with a little application of starting fluid at the breather. Be careful with that stuff. You can damage your engine or set your car on fire with it...  Backfires could also damage some of your FI components like vacuum switches, etc. (Probably)

That'll help you narrow it down.

Good luck!

Neko

Thanks for the help guys. I'll record a video tomorrow of a real quick 'turnover attempt', so you can hear it for yourselves. Dad suspected a dead starter at the beginning, but we're not completely sure anymore. The battery is good, but arcs out when the ground wire is put on, I'm suspecting due to the CD/iPod Player being wired straight to the battery and not the ignition (which, in turn, drains battery after long periods of time, especially if I don't get charge back up every now and then with the alternator). It's obviously going to kill the battery after a while, so I should get around to re-wiring it...

calvin streeting

For the future, if the car is parked a long time in a garage, get a trickle charger as it will save you hassle and a battery

Calvin

Neko

Hey guys. As promised, here's a short video of me attempting to turn it over. The sound quality is actually quite good, so all sounds were captured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0UM5bUp0_o

jbrasile

Hmmm.... very strange noise mister....

It almost sounds like one of the spark plugs blew out of its hole, have you checked to see if the plugs are all nice and tight?

Have you had a friend try to start the car and observe if the engine is actually turning? You can tell by looking at the fan

Tks,

Joe

Neko

Yeah, spark plugs are all tight, they're definitely not able to pop out or anything. I haven't observed the fan during turnover myself yet, but a friend has. He didn't seem to say anything about it though.

jbrasile

Ok, if the fan turns it means the starter is actually turning the engine so you either have a fuel problem or lack of spark.

Did you do anything with the distributor cap while cleaning, how about the ignition wires? Are you 100% sure they are corrected in the right order? The wires are usually marked and so is the dist cap.

Tks,

Joe

koan

The engines turning, I can just see the markings on the fan belt pass by.

Very odd noise.

Where in AUS are you? Maybe someone local can take a look?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Neko

Yeah, all wires are connected in the right order, and I've only checked the dist. cap with dad, who reconnected everything (he's a mechanic).

My friend, who has helped me with the car in the past, rang a Merc dealership and described the problem to them. They told him that it was most likely a problem with the timing chain, but I'm not sure. I remember dad saying something about replacing the head gasket when I bought the car, though. Since I'm not the most advanced person when it comes to cars, could this be something that could cause this type of sound?

@Koan

I'm in SA, particularly outer Adelaide suburbs. I would have taken it to someone a while ago, but I don't have too much money, being 19 and all. I do have the help of my dad and my next door neighbour, who are both mechanics, so I can take any help they offer. :)