News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

i just found a 6.9

Started by toey, 05 February 2011, 06:46 AM

toey

hi guys
im new around here.

today i was dropping off a customers commadore after detailing it and saw an old merc in the garage and asked if i could have a look. upon looking at it, found it to be a 450sel 6.9 with original owner!! the bonnet needs a respray and window rubbers replaced. hasnt been driven in few years but was moved 3 weeks ago under its own steam :)

so the even better part is this little old lady is going to sell it soon as a way of moving on after her husband passed away last year after many years suffering dementure. her kidshave been telling her to sell it as it takes up too much storage space of hers.

the best bit is she was looking to sell it for............................................$1000  :o so as you could guess i told her to call me when she is ready to part with it :)

Tony66_au

Nice find!

Welcome to the fold, So I assume you are now doing research or do you have any other benz's?

Cheers,
Tony

toey

no, doing research.

i have wanted a project seeing as i sold my modded ss commodore to buy a 2007 holden caprice because my wife injured her back and cant ride in a rough car.

the thing that stuck in my mind with this car was the 6.9L v8. i love big 8's :) i really like the idea of getting this car and restoring it in my spare time (what little time that is when working 2 fulltime jobs) would also be good advertising for my detailing business and i think the current owner would be pleased to see the car being bought back to life after being neglected for so many years.

what i have discovered is how prestigious and rare this car is and to find one so cheap and a one owner car is exceptional. we also live in a pretty dry climate here too so rust hopefully isnt an issue

TJ 450

Sounds like a great find toey.

Good luck with it... I have found the 6.9 to be a very robust vehicle once brought up to scratch mechanically. Sure, some parts can be expensive, but you would be hard pressed to find a more durable engine in particular. Then there's the torque, it leaves a lot of cars for dead. ;D

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

toey

ahh yes the torque of a big v8. i like the idea of having 2 limo's in the driveway with 12.9L of engines between them. ill be doing my bit for global warming :)

koan

Do check the VIN, stamped into firewall (not the ADR plate) make sure you're not just buying a 6.9 badge.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

If you can post us the VIN and we will tell you a lot about the car.

Welcome to the fold - rest assured it won't stop at $1000 but it will be a great journey and most of us will help anytime we can.

Bill

SELfor50

Nice find.  I'll jump in and help straight away.

Sentences start with Capital letters.  :o  :D  ;)

Welcome buddy, hope you manage to get hold of a 6.9.  Not much else like it.

John Hubertz

As a new 6.9 owner you'll also want to visit the m-100 forum (specifically for the large-engine 6.3/6.9 vehicles).  Here's a link: M-100  

Lots of unique 6.9 information is necessary to properly and for reasonable cost refresh and maintain that beast.

What a bargain - congratulations!   Do you have any pictures yet?
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

toey

i dont own the 6.9 yet. the old lady wants to sell the car soon but isnt quite ready to sell her late husbands car just yet. i didnt have my phone on me so no pics :(

im really interested to see the condition of the leather as it has had sheepskin seat covers on it for many many years.

calvin streeting

Thats a hard one as i take it you don't want to sound to pushy, as it is her late husbands and it probably holds a lot of memories especialy if they owned it from new (30 years plus some).. good luck a w116 is a pleasure (and a pain :) ).

So just take your time and if it ment to be it will happen...

toey

yeah im not going to push her on it. i have to get her commodore back in couple of weeks to fix up the very badly water etched windows and shampoo interior for her so i can mention it again then. good thing is its a small town and she deals with my wife on a weekly basis so im easy to get in contact with :)