News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

I hit a deer...

Started by 1980sdga, 02 November 2011, 08:41 AM

1980sdga

Bummer:

No sheetmetal damage, just plastic.  I will say that the brakes/handling on the old benz are pretty good. I managed to maintain my lane on the interstate and almost missed him... I was in the right lane and he jumped out of the weeds to my right.

Big_Richard

doh!

at least the damage is reasonably minimal and confined to easily replaceable parts. Coulda been a lot worse. "count your blessings"  8)

Squiggle Dog

Your car held up very well! Too bad about the deer, but sometimes there just isn't enough time to safely react to avoid hitting them.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

1980sdga

Vintage Einzendopper dual cooler grill:

Used on the early models with quad thermolastic stabilizers. I thought about installing the double rear grills but figured plumbing would be more trouble than it's worth...

Big_Richard

that doesnt look right at all  8)

someone give the man a grill  ;D

Tony66_au

Oh Deer!

I have similar issues with Wallabies and southern grey Roo's at dusk when the bugger come to eat on the side of the road but I have a cunning plan for dealing with them.

I aim straight for them, So far its cost me an indicator lens.

I figure that the buggers always get you when you try and avoid them so aiming for em is a sure fire way to miss the buggers. :-)

I dont suggest you try this but I had to share.

Tony

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 02 November 2011, 06:09 PM

Used on the early models with quad thermolastic stabilizers. I thought about installing the double rear grills but figured plumbing would be more trouble than it's worth...

Does not compute.  WTF?

Casey

Quote from: Tony66_au on 02 November 2011, 10:18 PM
I figure that the buggers always get you when you try and avoid them so aiming for em is a sure fire way to miss the buggers. :-)

Ah, this works for wildlife too?  I thought it only worked on pedestrians...

1980sdga

Quote from: Raptelan on 02 November 2011, 10:41 PM
Quote from: 1980sdga on 02 November 2011, 06:09 PM

Does not compute.  WTF?

I was experimenting with removing the little tabs that hold the chrome strips on:

Sort of got carried away... I may paint it grey and run with it until I get a replacement.

KenM

That certainly is a bummer Jon, still I would say it could have been much worse, giving a deer a decent whack could ruin your entire afternoon I imagine. Reminds me of a recording of a 911 call that was doing

the rounds on radio when I lived in the US in 1992, was from Georgia too, very funny if you have heard it. How are you going to get the plastic grille insert? I have been looking for a couple of these here, seem

to be unavailable new, looks like buying a parts car with a decent one is the go, and that could take a while to find.

Big_Richard

what is that drawing on the hood  ;)

TJ 450

Lucky it was only the grille insert... That worked out OK.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Casey

Quote from: KenM on 03 November 2011, 04:22 AM
seem to be unavailable new, looks like buying a parts car with a decent one is the go, and that could take a while to find.

Joe can get them via the Classic Center.  I've got a new one that I found for about $60.  It was packed very badly and cracked in the top center during shipment, but I glued that back together and it hides behind the center chrome piece anyways.

1980sdga

Sometimes I get bored...  And build sh!t  :o

Squiggle Dog

:o FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUnny!
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+