News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

I hit a deer...

Started by 1980sdga, 02 November 2011, 08:41 AM

Casey

I saw a Ford ad today that advertised how they have built in louvres like this into the grill that automatically close when possible to improve aerodynamics by blocking off airflow.

Seems like a pretty poor idea to me.  One more thing to go wrong (and cause overheating when it does).

Big_Richard

Quote from: Raptelan on 04 November 2011, 11:05 PM
I saw a Ford ad today that advertised how they have built in louvres like this into the grill that automatically close when possible to improve aerodynamics by blocking off airflow.

Seems like a pretty poor idea to me.  One more thing to go wrong (and cause overheating when it does).

allready experienced this ;)

drove into roadworks signs while not paying attention. system broke, louvers wouldnt open.

took a week for me to discover why the radiator fans were running all the time, i just forced them open and they never close at all now  8)

Casey

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 04 November 2011, 11:09 PM
allready experienced this ;)

drove into roadworks signs while not paying attention. system broke, louvers wouldnt open.

Oh, that other thread suddenly makes sense now.  I reckon that solution you came up with is a good one. :)

1980sdga

Casey

*gouges eyes out* :o :'(

I've got a new grille insert and damage-free left headlight door I could be coerced into selling...

1980sdga

It's like a wall of light...

300SDude

Those are weird little grille things.........I don't think I have ever seen them on any model.

Yeah, we have the deer issue here in the Great North West as well. I (knock on wood) am the only person on our property who has not hit one with any car. I am always worried when I have the Mercedes out. Dawn and dusk are the worst times for them here where we live.

If you see one, there is more.

Yeah, good thing it didn't bend the hood and stuff. Thank God for our 12 foot bookshelf bumpers here in the US or the European bumper and grille would have been toast. (Not that I particularly care for the US bumpers, but there is quite a distance between them and the actual grille of the car).

300SDude

Mforcer

I am still trying to work out what those "weird little grille things" are ???
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

TJ 450

There was a hole in the grille, the one on the car's left hand side is a patch, and I assume the other is to balance out the appearance.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Mforcer

I had been thinking they were the openings for the machine guns, James Bond style :P ;D
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Big_Richard

I'm pretty sure your lighting would be visible from say, the moon now.  8)

1980sdga

The louvres were made from the grille beneath the bumper. Armidillo got it  :P  I'm thinking about a skidplate to protect the oil pan and radiator.  I drove it for about 4 hours in the dark this morning and evening and the lights are working OK. Not stupendous, just OK. I need to align my lights...

Still a great car  8) 8)

Squiggle Dog

They made factory skid plates for the W116. I have a line on a couple NOS ones.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Adrianl

Beast of a car to take a hit like that and stand up so well!

Casey

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 09 November 2011, 01:37 AM
They made factory skid plates for the W116. I have a line on a couple NOS ones.

Got pictures?  I think I need these. ;)