News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

I did it, I bought a 6.9

Started by jjccp, 03 October 2006, 09:47 PM

jjccp

Check out my new ride:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300032339889&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1

I've been looking for years. I have gladly walked away from many 6.9's that were described as wonderful but didn't live up to the hype. This one has a virgin first aid kit, a complete tool kit with very shiny tools, and all 4 suspension blocks. I haven't seen a car this complete before. I'm happy with the condition of this California car. There's service history and receipts for many years back. It doesn't really need anything fixed in order to start enjoying it.

It moved out on the freeway and I got it at a great price too. No one else bid on this car after being listed several times in eBay.

Can you believe that you can buy a world-class super car for $5500?

Life if good.

Should I take the Ronal wheels off the 280 SE, paint them black and put them on the new car? I haven't decided yet. I might keep it looking like a total sleeper.

How long does it take, on average before you get your first speeding ticket? I haven had one in many, many years.

Talk soon,

Jim

1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

alabbasi

Welcome to the boy's club  :) Your going to have the drive of your life.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Des

Congratulations on your new ride, she looks pretty good, 6.9's are definitely the bad boy car. I used to think bad boys cars were Dodge Chargers or Challengers, but it's the 6.9! Ronin, Lost Highway.

oscar

Well done Jim.   ;D
I love the black.  Not sure about the ronals yet.  With nothing urgent to be done to the car, if it we're me I'd just keep driving all over the place enjoying it as is for a while.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

congratulations - we are all suitably jealous - you just have to promise to enjoy it as much as possible.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

robertd

Hi Jim,
The car looks great, I like the original alloys, If there in good shape just leave them on for a while until you get the feel of the car. Plenty of time to upgrade the wheels later.
Welcome to the club.
Regards Robert.
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

michaeld

jjccp,
Congrats on your new car.  Hope she's a good 'un for you!

I actually have to laugh at your post: here's a guy from Detroit all happy he was able to pick up a California car!  As a guy who has absolutely no problem picking up a California car I can say, "That's right; California cars rule!"  (By the way, according to the TV commercials, we have the happiest cows, too!).

Did you see the car before you bid, or did you just cross your fingers and take your chances?

One thing I picked up on from the eBay description that was interesting: he touted the fact that the car was a daily driver, as opposed to one that has been stored or driven rarely.  What do you guys think about that?  I know I'd rather buy a car that had a ton of long-distance freeway miles than one with low mileage from a hundred-thousand short trips.  And of course, I wouldn't be too happy to end up w/ a car that had sat around with bad gas in the tank for five years.  But would a properly stored car be "less appealing" than a daily driver?

I'm glad you have the service records.  I'd like to see some pics of the engine (call me weird, but when I look at cars on eBay, I tend to pass on cars if there are no pics of the engine.  I suppose you can't tell TOO much from a picture of an engine, but I just like to see the darn thing).

I STILL can't fully understand the appeal of the 6.9s, but I'm a lot further along in my appreciation of them than I was when I first bought my 450SEL.  I still haven't driven in one, or even laid eyes on one yet.  At this point, I'd like to have the M100, but wouldn't be too keen on the hydropneumatics.

Hope your car is solid.  She certainly looks good from the pictures.

P.S. I was driving mine around today and got two compliments on her in the parking lots.  The first guy asked if she was a diesel (and my car said, "I don't smell!"), and the second said, "That's a real pretty car you've got.  It's huge, but it's pretty" (and my car said, "I am not fat!").
Mike

AMG69

Michael, your car MUST be female (!)  ("I'm NOT fat")
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

oscar

Quote from: AMG69 on 06 October 2006, 12:42 AM

Well michaeld, if it ever asks "do these US 5mph bumpers make my butt look big?" You'll have confirmation. :D

I gotta agree with you about the engine pics.  With jjccp's seller, at least he took the liberty to take photos of the faults and was open with Q&A's.  How many times do you see only one poor photo or highlights of the good bits.  Together with an engine pic missing I usually get suspicious.  Add to that a fanciful story and the overuse of the "good for its age" description, I'm outta there.

One prospective 450sel  I was watching a couple of months ago had very little description and one or two external shots, but it was a nice black one.  Someone else beat me to the punch to ask "any pics of the engine?" To which the seller responded "there are no pics of the engine"??? ::) WELL, TAKE SOME THEN!!.  It reminds me of comments made in an earlier thread about unmotivated sellers.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

jjccp

Hello to all,

Thanks for all the positive comments. The 6.9 club is a club I've wanted to join for quite a while. I'm sooooo glad I waited for the right car.

I have an excellent local mechanic that I've used for years on the 280 SE. He's  been specially trained on the 6.9 and he has a German accent. That makes it easier to buy an older car like this.

I'm going to pick it up tonight.

Best regards,

Jim

1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

michaeld

Quote from: oscar on 06 October 2006, 05:03 AM
Quote from: AMG69 on 06 October 2006, 12:42 AM
Well michaeld, if it ever asks "do these US 5mph bumpers make my butt look big?" You'll have confirmation. :D

Well, it actually did ask me that once, and I said (and I quote), "I like big butts and I do not lie!"  After an altercation my 450SEL had w/ a concrete light post, I LOVE the "big butt bumper."  A flabby big butt is bad, nasty, and generally gross; but a solid, tight, well-assembled big butt is a whole other matter (at least when you're talking about bumpers.  We ARE talking about bumpers, right?).  If I'm the only one out there that loves the "big butt Benzes," fine; all the more buxom old Benzes for me! ::)

In the Navy, I'm told, ships are ALWAYS female.  Well, I wasn't in the Navy, but I was in the Army, and tanks are almost always deemed as females by their crews as well.  And, well, if my 450SEL isn't a boat, well, then, she's gotta be a tank...

I can also say that I've never had a more pleasurable driving experience in any car I've ever owned than I've had in my 450SEL (Other people might say, "Well, that's because you've driven crap-cars your whole life," but you guys know what I'm talking about).  And darn it, I guess I just want the thing that's giving me that kind of driving satisfaction and pleasure to be female!  Am I being an automotive homophobe? 

Man, jjccp, you better come back and post how the pick-up went.  And you darn well better have more pics of the car w/in 24 hours, or else (what, I'm not sure; but you just better!).  Also, tell us what your German-accented mechanic (which obviously gives him instant Benz credibility) tells you about your new addition.

Lastly, if you can't give me a picture, at least give me a vivid description: what is the expression on the guy in the other lane's face as you effortlessly pull away from his late-model Japanese *&%)$ in your 27-year old Benz?  You know the look?  That, "Holy-crap-what-does-that-guy-have-in-that-thing?"-look?

[P.S. That is the one thing I truly miss about my bored and stroked superbike: flying past expensive sports cars at the stop lights w/ a contemptuous flick of my wrist and leaving them behind like they were standing still.  Never gotten anything even close to that kind of juvenile joy-rush from a car.  With the motorcycle, it was like, "Howl at the moon and go nuts with me!!!"  With my 450SEL, it's more like, "You just relax and settle in to my nice cushy seat.  Everything's good.  I'm going to take care of you."  I really like the latter comfort and relaxation, mind you; but every now and then I DO miss the "moto madness"].

jjccp

Ok guys, here are some pics of the new 6.9, with a little 280SE thrown in for good measure.

1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

Des

Very nice, that black 6.9 just looks like it wants to get up to "no good"

Tomi

congrats, both cars look very good :). The only thing I can comment is that you have to get proper windshield wipers for the 6.9, that is correct length and metallic color. (I think in ebay pics the wipers are the originals).

s class

OK I give in, your garage is waaay cooler than mine.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL