News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Howdy from Australia

Started by crooken, 19 February 2019, 06:26 AM

crooken

Hi all, I a proud new owner of this 1980 SEL 280.  I'm not sure I love the color, but this is what happens when you make the inspection at night...  In any case condition is beautiful and mileage is (relatively) low so there has to be some trade offs.

Had a few minor things done after pick up; fluids, front end, rubbers, a/c and a bit of an oil leak, now she seems to run pretty well.  The car is currently located in Sydney and will be re-homed in Adelaide.  I've thought about shipping it, but figure these cars are meant to be used so will attempt the drive (a short 1,400km!).  Maybe not so sensible to attempt a long journey in an as-yet-unproven 40 year old car, but life is an adventure right!?

Wessel Badenhorst

Welcome here!

I like the color - a very nice example.

Enjoy the trip these cars eat highways for breakfast.
1979 280S Silver Green Metallic
1991 500SE Astral Silver Metallic

Pete49

Just do it. I have several MB's 1 x 1983 280TE W123 1x 1978 W123 300D and a 1975 W116 450SEL and all love long drives. Just returned to SA  from the gold coast and had no issues.
Pete
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

Justin280s

irvine

Welcome mate, I'm in Sydney myself and did the same but a lot shorter distance of a few hundred Km the day after buying the car with zero history, didn't even change the oil.
The m110 is regarded by my merc tech mate as the best engine Mercedes ever built.

What sort of spec is the car?

Neil.

daantjie

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Peter

That M110 engine will get you twice around the equator before an oil change, a drive back to Adelaide will be a joy and probably just what the car needs if its been sitting awhile or just doing the school run in Sydney. Welcome to the forum and the colour will grow on you  :D

crooken

Thanks all, feel a lot more confident taking on the journey now with this advice!

@Neil, not yet fully sure of all spec, I'll need to decode the options list in the service book.  For sure it has the (working!) cruise control and reclining back seats which must have been top of top back in 1980..

I'll be sure to take some good pics from the journey next month!

floyd111

Reclining back seats? That leaves you with finding only a Frenzel fridge to become a 33rd degree W116 freemason, haha
I would have never picked that color from a catalog, but in the sunlight, and that hippy behind the wheel, this color is like straight from a rather corny yet absolutely nostalgic discolored 70's German postcard.
I think it's great!

Scotty

What a lovely looking car!! Congratulation on your purchase - you will not regret it, I'm sure. I very much agree these cars need use - get them warm and then go hard. It's true - at least in my experience, I suppose - that they get better the more they're used.

Keep us posted on any trips you do - with attendant photos, of course!

Scotty