News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

How rare ? Which one to restore ?

Started by Sundance_lark, 30 September 2018, 01:33 PM

Sundance_lark

hi from the Uk ,
I've got a 1977 450se grey/ blue metallic with cream/beige full leather interior that I was planing on restoring ,

But I've just picked up a 1976 450se ikon gold metallic with exactly the same cream beige interior
That I was gonna use for some parts etc

Both are 3 previous owners , one is slightly lower mileage the gold is worse body wise but other than that spec wise they are pretty much identical,

Question is
Which one is the more rare car which is the more sort after as now I'm thinking do I restore the ikon gold 76 instead of the 77 grey/blue ,

Any idea on build numbers in those colours an years ?

Thanks for any help

Dan ,

daantjie

Personally I really like Ikon Gold. Really stands out in today's world of blah car colours.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

floyd111

I very much doubt either color is going to make the difference in value in the end, at least nothing remotely guaranteed or solid. W116 was built in massive numbers, reaching almost half a million cars. By now, the value is decided on location, LHD/RHD, 6.9 or not, potential buyer's taste and agenda, and the state of your car after restoration. O yes, luck.. not to be forgotten. Whatever you choose, log all your restoration steps in detail, make sure you have the car's historical paperwork, matching engine and gearbox numbers.
On your side, the investment matters, so the state of the metal is very important, coz that's gonna cost you. I think that a mint gray car, or a mint gold car are both a sight to observe, both equally rare to be offered in actual mint condition.

ptashek

Frankly, neither is worth restoring as an investment. They're just not worth anywhere near what you would need to put in first, to get to top value territory - which for a concourse level 450SE is still no more than 30k EUR on the continent, maybe 10% more for RHD if re-selling in the UK.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

marku

Prices are slowly rising and Mercedes and the magazines are talking them up. The 116s that Mercedes have restored they regularly ask 50K for. Just the pick the best option for you as far as actual work is concerned and don't think about the cost. Its a great car and there are not that many on the road here and the SE was built in the smaller numbers.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

TJ 450

A 450SE would be a good choice for restoration as long as you don't have to deal with large amounts of bodywork. I'd be picking the best of the two condition-wise.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Sundance_lark

Thanks for the advice guys ,
Think I'm gonna go with the ikon gold as it's the older car ...only by a year but still ,
Also although I kinda like the blue better the gold is always gonna stand out more and "pop" and is very period correct.

I've just been given some new old stock panels as well so that's going to help loads ,

Thanks again
Dan