News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

How much have you spent on your W116?

Started by thysonsacclaim, 11 August 2010, 04:16 AM

s class

I've spent about $2500 on my 280SE over 12 years, but then that is mostly maintenance, as I've driven nearly 300 000km in that time with it.  I've spent about $8k on my blue 6.9 to sort out the hydraulics, engine timing, brakes.  It still needs a new interior and new paint. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Janse

Including the purchase I have spent about 5000 NOK (roughly 800$) But I guess I will double that when I get it fired and is going to fill it up for the first time... Blah those gas prizes!!

TJ 450

Quote from: s class on 11 August 2010, 10:21 AM
I've spent about $2500 on my 280SE over 12 years, but then that is mostly maintenance, as I've driven nearly 300 000km in that time with it.  I've spent about $8k on my blue 6.9 to sort out the hydraulics, engine timing, brakes.  It still needs a new interior and new paint. 

Wow, that is exceptional for 12 years of motoring, and that number of km.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oscar

The 350 cost me a clean swap for an '85 Ford Fairlane and over 6yrs I've got $6k in receipts for professional help plus easily over $3k on mechanical bits I've bought.  Stopped counting after that. 

The 280S racer, cost $800, the tally is over $8K and it's still slow. Needs engine and trans rebuild 

But the wrecks have saved me a bundle for some major and minor parts.  From a leather interior to a Becker Mexico to imitation penta rims.  The wrecks cost $300 for the red one, $300 for the brown one and $35 for the engineless yellow one.  Felt so bad for the guy I gave him $100. ;D 

I've really stopped tallying it up though.  It's handy to know what to expect what some things cost but it'd do ones head in thinking what else they might have done with a certain sum of money.  (thinks of how many $300 wrecks I could have bought  :D )
1973 350SE, my first & fave

thysonsacclaim

Quotethysonsacclaim, I know what you should spend some money on. Get rid of that horrible American bumper and replace it with one that it was designed with. Those big things are extremely vile.

I'm not a fan of the bumper myself, but it actually doesn't both me terribly. Since there isn't anything wrong (mechanically speaking) with it I don't feel it is an immediate issue. It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing thing, but I think that is best left for tweaking when your car is running fairly well. At least, that's the utilitarian way of doing it. I mentioned the grille because the grille on my car isn't the correct one. It is too narrow. I should be picking up a 'new' one soon.

Also, I'm no sure how easy it would be to get the bumper here. Since they aren't the style used in the US, if I found one overseas, god knows what the shipping for such a thing would be. Maybe I could arrange to have it stuck in a shipping container for little cost.

I've talked to several scrappers around here, as my neighbor works for one, and they say most things older than 1980 they crush.  :o

It's too bad. I wonder how many 116s had sodium silicate poured into the block:

Rebate Program Prescribes Chemical to Stop Car Engines

Big_Richard

Quote from: thysonsacclaim on 11 August 2010, 05:18 PM

I've talked to several scrappers around here, as my neighbor works for one, and they say most things older than 1980 they crush.  :o

It's too bad. I wonder how many 116s had sodium silicate poured into the block:

Rebate Program Prescribes Chemical to Stop Car Engines

Thats horrible!

I think if I saw that being done to an mb I'd cry!  :o

oscar

Yikes! Oh the humanity! mechanity! 
Interesting choice of words in the story; "agent of death ","clunkers marked for death " and so on.  Why can't they say "euthanise" or "put to sleep".
I can't help but draw similarities in emotion to when nanites were injected into the unsuspecting NS5 in I Robot. ;D

Karu

thysonsacclaim, I see, the wrong grill doesn't help the look of it. I also think Australian headlights look better too. Anyone disagree?

thysonsacclaim

I think a lot of people like the Euro headlights. Seems so if you check the sky-high prices on them. Personally I don't mind the US lights, but the Euros do tend to add a 'beefier' look IMO.

Papalangi

I paid $3500 for mine 5 years ago as a rust free Texas car, drove it from Dallas to Seattle in 4 days and have put maybe $450 into it since.  It could use window seals and a functioning ACCII but I'm happy with it as it sits.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

koan

I keep all my receipts in a (big) box but I wouldn't dare to add them up.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

flutes

Koan it's my wife adding them up that concerns me.
Matt
1977 450SEL

Big_Richard

I'm quite certain most significant others will have their own expensive hobbies which can easily be brought up in order to defend w116 ownership  8)

oscar

So true MT, including what I'd deem frivolous spending too.  Would you believe earlier in the week, oscarette and one of her colleagues paid an undisclosed sum to get a clairvoyant reading during her lunch hour "for fun" .  >:(  As far as I'm concerned, that's given me a few hundred extra leverage dollars when it comes to my next paypal order.  She'll say "what the..." to which I'll say "I bet that crackpot never told you that expense was coming" ;D

Big_Richard

those people are the biggest scammers ever...

They have about as much credibility as one of those $50 per week, premium sms service subscriptions that prey on children with "love compatibility" tests utilizing only their first names  ::)