News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

How much have you spent on your W116?

Started by thysonsacclaim, 11 August 2010, 04:16 AM

Martin 280s

When I bought my 280s about 7 years ago I paid the equivalent of a new small car. I think it would have been around US$10,000 then. Since then I have invested about as much again plus a bit more to keep my beautiful lady on the road. It may seem a lot but in Brazil cars are very expensive and quality cars even more so. However, apparently this particular car is known to be a 'reference' in the Mercedes-Benz club and is now worth far more than I paid for her.

gf

Craig, thanks for the advice, you were right the tie end rods were peanuts to fix and made a world of good, the cars got about 170 000 km on it and the mechanics are always wanting to buy it off me but thats just a sign its a definate keeper!yes for a 9k car its a bargian!

craigb

I'm not sure but at 170k, if the head has never been touched, then maybe the guides need doing, but then with such a long history these cars have now, who knows if it hasn't been done at some stage. Others might see it differently, but if it was my car I would just have new valve seals fitted and see how it goes. If the guides are worn I believe it will tend to chop them out quicker than normal, and then you can plan to pull the head off. The seals are cheap (check autohaus) and not that much labour - less than $200 all up? My thinking is that would be worth a try. Doing the head must be at least $1k involved, but if you plan to keep it and do lots of miles then it will last for a long time.

Just my thinking - hope that helps.
1980 280s