News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

How fast have you taken your 116?

Started by gregdeklerk, 19 March 2007, 07:20 AM

500eguy

i took the 500e to 145mph but then ran out of road. both cars felt great at those speeds!

Mforcer

I have reached about 145 km/h although haven't pushed it further only from fear of fines. It is just so easy to achieve speeds when over taking other traffic. It seems I am going to need to see what it can really do :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Brian Crump

Indeed you are Mforcer. Off across the Hay Plains for you and plant the foot... ;D
Actually, don't. I got my last speeding ticket there on a hot, dry day - the charming gentleman was under the shade of a gum tree with his hand held radar...there were NO other cars for at least 100ks either side and he asked me if I was in a hurry and why?  :P No hurry; just bored...
BC

gregdeklerk

Turn up Vivaldi or make a cell phone call next time. It is cheaper!!

AMG69

try owning a 6.9 and marrying a cop like I did.....speeding? No honey - never!!  Well,  unless those handcuffs are coming out again???,... ;D.............
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

gregdeklerk

Quote from: AMG69 on 26 March 2007, 08:16 AM
try owning a 6.9 and marrying a cop like I did.....speeding? No honey - never!!  Well,  unless those handcuffs are coming out again???,... ;D.............

I thought that you would have taught your wife that handcuffs are used for other things by couples these days. Ask PB - he will tell you!!

s class

Is there any fear of prosecution posting here?

Years ago (more than 5 years ago) I was living in Johannesburg and dating a girl in Durban.  That's 580km each way and I used to do the trip every second weekend in the 280SE.  I would leave work at about 4pm on Friday and usually make it Durban by 8pm.  You do the maths.  ANd realise to get that average speed, you need to gun it when  you can to make up for time lost behind trucks.  No stops on the way BTW - 4 hours straight.  Often with passengers and luggage - it seemed to make no difference to the 280SE. 

And it definately sounds like a messerschmidt. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

gregdeklerk

Mine seems willing and able to behave the same way.

bahnstormer109

i was coming home from hervey bay today in my 450SEL and an overtaking lane opened up and i took it to overtake some cars and i saw this BMW 3 series sitting on my back bumper. intrigued, at the next overtaking lane i floored it and so did this BMW and stayed on my tail. then the road went 1 lane again and after not long the BMW overtook me on the wrong side of the road and was now in front of me.

then another overtaking lane opened up and of course he took off and i gave chase.

at 175kph he was still accellerating away from me. i just let him go after that, expecting to see him later on down the road wrapped around a tree or something.

then i realised i set a new record for myself in the 450. anyway, the BMW was badged 328i and although its the 6cyl im not convinced that particular one was standard, he must have chipped it or something to it to get it to go like that??

does anyone know if this is how they all go?
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

Des

Yes 0-100 in 7.5 seconds is fairly slow by performance car standards these days.

however

The 6.9 has a lot of potential for performance upgrades if one wishes to go down that road.

Look at the recent issue of Mercedes Enthusiast, what would a say 50-100HP NoS system do to our 0-100 times? I reckon we could easily shave a second off that

bahnstormer109

hrmm, Styria, i know what you mean but this car was pushing 10 years old. not the latest 330i. id expect that sort of performance out of perhaps a 10 year old 540i but a 328? it was sporting an E- registration number which in QLD was issued in around 1996-1998. im unconvinced, im going to investigate further.
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

Des

friend of mine owns a 1998 BMW 323ci, 1400kg, 0-100 in 7.4seconds, top speed around 240k's

thats over 500kg's lighter than a w116

you wouldn't think they would be very safe in an accident,

BMW's look nice cars, abit sporty for my taste however, but it's just all the wannabe rich people and try hards who drive them that turn me off them. Down here they are as common as dirt. People who try to create an image of success by driving a 318i or a 323, I was at a dinner party recently where the topic of "nice cars" came up, I tried to explain with some furver that a particular persons BMW was only worth around 20k, but I was shunned, "no thats a high end sports car", yeah I'm thinking a BMW 3 series.....some sports car.

That's why try hards drive them, they create and image, an image of success, money
I never see a 5 series or 7 series, they still hold some respect for me.
Maybe because you can't rent one of them?

bahnstormer109

i found these specs on the 2000 328i power and torque are about what i was expecting.  apparently they do 0-100 in 6.9 secs and weigh 1.3 tons.

i guess theyre responsive, well geared and light. but still, ive seen a lot of these things on the road and ive never seen one move like that. if it was standard he must have been wringing it right out like noones business.

Engine   
Engine Configuration I
Cylinders 6
Aspiration/Induction Normal
Displacement 3.00 L | 183.1 cu in. | 3001 cc.
Valvetrain DOHC
Horsepower 193.00 BHP (142 KW) 
Torque 206.00 Ft-Lbs (279.3 NM) 
HP to Weight Ratio 15.6 LB / HP (Vehicles with similar ratio)
HP / Liter 64.3 BHP / Liter

nevertheless, theyre still horrible, horrible little cars.
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

johnnyw116

verry interesting question ! i like to drive fast and like to surprise other drivers in their rearview mirror with my 35 year old W116 one time i was about 205 km with my 280se with manual gearbox
and with my 6.9 i was one time about 250km but that was a few years ago when i was still driving with it
he is in my garage for some years now  .                     
JohnnyW116