News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

How fast have you taken your 116?

Started by gregdeklerk, 19 March 2007, 07:20 AM

gregdeklerk

OK 6.9 owners go easy on us mere mortals! I took the 280SE up to 180km/h yesterday, which I think is not bad for a 33 year old car. I start to get a little scared above that speed because of the age of the car and also here in SA the speed limit is 120km/h. If you are caught over 160km/h, they will arrest you!!

oscar

Speed limit here is 100km/hr 62mph on most open roads.  110km/h 68mph on freeways and major 2 lane highways out of the cities that are no different to other two lane arterial roads.  140km/h 87mph would have you arrested I think let alone 160km/h

A bit under 150km/h <93mph is the fastest I've gone in the 350 and that was a couple of years ago before the timing chain, valve gap etc etc was seen to.  Now that the suspension has been rebushed I should go for another qualifying run.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Grant V

I'm actually ashamed about this, 'cause it's VERY irresponsible....took the 6.9 up to 200 on Saturday  :-[
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

Martin 280s

I once had my old lady up to 170kmh on a beautiful smooth highway on a lovely sunny day keep a 'new' E320 at bay! ;D ;D

Des

180, i wasn't intending to speed, i was just trying to overtake........ I looked down at watched the needle go 120.....160....180......wow need to back off.

somehow I don't think the arresting officer would buy my story.

CraigS

I still haven't resolved my running problems yet, so can't provide any info on this yet, but speaking about speed limits, I was talking to my fiancee in Germany last night, and she was travelling from Hamburg to Hanover. As a passing comment, I said "Have a safe trip and don't drive too fast" - to which she replied "Don't worry, I have the winter tyres on, so I can only go 210 with those on" ! And believe me, she does in her Audi A6 diesel.

As for other cars, the fastest I have driven was 260 km/h on the Hume Highway out of Melbourne in my Saab 900 Aero turbo, which I bought new in 1985 or so. That was one quick car.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

AMG69

I hit 180 in the 6.9 overtaking a WRX which had been annoying me and had overtaken me dangerously around a bend squeezing in between me and another car.  This was in South Oz last year - Adelaide to Langhorne Creek.    I thought the "little buzz box" needed a gentle reminder what "the old girl" was capable of.   ;) Like Des I was amazed how that speedo needle just went 140-160-180.  200 looked easy; much more than that I expect would have needed a very long straight road!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

gregdeklerk

I was offered a spin in a new E63 AMG last night. (I know it is not a 116, but since we are on the topic of speed). The acceleration is phenominal, as are the brakes. In a distance is about 200 - 300m, we were up to 160km/h and then back down to about 30km/h after stepping hard on the brakes.

Brian Crump

190 indicated. Maybe correct maybe not. I will try again with the sat nav in place for a more accurate readout. I have to wait until I go south where I know there are roads to do it safely.
BC

gregdeklerk

I hope the dogs weren't in the car!!

Grant V

Well, this is not a W116, but it was taken while on the way to Merc Museum in Stuttgart in January....does that qualify?
I took the pic while my friend was driving his 2003 Audi A8 4.2 and it's the fastest I have ever been in a car:

P.S. look at the mileage on that dial - 357 611km!

"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

Brian Crump

Greg - the dogs were asleep on the back seat - it's as quiet at 190 as it as 100. The loudest sound is the ticking of the clock... ;D
BC

gregdeklerk

Aren't you confusing the 116 with your RR?

koan

Quote from: Brian Crump on 20 March 2007, 02:11 AM

The loudest sound is the ticking of the clock... ;D

Better get that fixed!

Thinking of the old joke, is the clock ticking any louder than the Rolls?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

bahnstormer109

i once got my 280SEL to 185kph. was suprisingly stable and smooth. i did 120MPH in my 300SEL 3.5 too once.
the 450SEL only 140kph so far. im a little intimidated by it. i also dont feel like ending up in court! when ive pushed cars to see how fast they will go, it really was too see if it could do it. i already know the 450 could see 200 so i dont really need to try it.

although, i think this is the most impressive of the lot: i got my 300TD to 160kph!! with all of 88HP!

ok it was on a long downhill stretch of open highway coming back from melbourne somewhere around canberra. but nevertheless i had to tap my passenger on the shoulder and point at the speedo as all was smooth and quiet inside.

oh how i lust for a turbo diesel 116...
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE