News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

How fast do yo drive your W116?

Started by s class, 20 June 2006, 09:22 AM

How would you best describe your driving habits when riding in style in your W116?

I nurse her gently - in fact I think I'm guilty of perpetuating the "Benzes are for old guys" fallacy
0 (0%)
I'm a sensible "stick to the speed limit guy"
1 (5.3%)
I stick to the speed limit plus a little tax on top, and I enjoy racing to get to that mark
5 (26.3%)
Mostly I drive in a dignified manner but when the mood takes me I mash the gas and show those kids in rice rockets what 25 year old benz iron can do
12 (63.2%)
I drive hard, service it well and lay rubber at every stop light
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

s class

Curious to hear from you guys - any anecdotes welcome too.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

140km/hr is the fastest I've taken my 350 but that was ages ago.  Sometimes I plant the foot just to load the engine and hear the exhaust better but keep the revs below 3500rpm.  A loaded trailer helps. 

At the moment with a few rubbers that need replacing and engine wear in the back of my mind I'm relatively sedate.  Given the chance after a rebuild I'd happily run the engine in properly if you get my drift.  I'd love to feel the acceleration of a 6.9 though.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

I had my 280 up to 160km/hr a couple of weeks ago.  I was impressed how it just kind of settled in a hummed along very smoothly, more so that at 140km/hr, at which I had some vibration that would pulse in and out...And it doesn't hurt that I love the way that euro M110 sounds above 4500 rpms, considering it seems like it was pushing 5100rpm at the time.

I have to admit, I was a little torn between the third and fourth chioces on the poll, since I don't always race to the limit + tax, but I by no means just crawl up there, either.  At least in my 280, the 220D is a different story...(or will be once I replace the gudgeon pin...)

Des

"Mostly I drive in a dignified manner but when the mood takes me I mash the gas and show those kids in rice rockets what 25 year old benz iron can do"

That pretty much sums me up, love pulling up on the inside lane against a hoon in their V8 commodore, falcon or jap toy and watch as they think they will jump me, when the lights drop the bullsh1t stops as they say.

AMG69

Probably only Andreas (from Adelaide) will know a nice stretch of road in SA that I had my 6.9 on last Christmas - left the Southern Freeway at Mt Barker and headed towards Strathalbyn; There is a very long stretch of road that is 4 lanes wide and downhill and it then enters a long fast straight.  I pulled out to overtake a semi trailer going down hill at 90 (in a 110 zone) and flattened the 6.9; kicked back to 2nd and by the time I had pulled back in I was doing 180kmhr; To this date I am stunned at the acceleration of a 28 year old 4400 pound car!!  It felt like 220-230kmhr top speed was definitely (still) there!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Andreas

Ahhh Chriss no that stretch well but Bunderloo will know it even better as he drives that route sust about every day to get to Monarto. A lot more straight stretches and some more gentle curves. I had the 6.9 up to 140kmh last saturday and it took no effort to get there fast but no where near as fast as bunderloos' as i am running a WUR from a 450 as mine is Kaput. I am soo waitng to get the girl fully powered up. Must say the car felt better at 140 than 110kmh.

Andreas
ps at the  moment i do try and leave rubber at all the lights
78 450 SEL Parting out
78 450 SEL Saving for parts
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro # 1696
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro #1577
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172
76 280 S     Manual Parting
80 280 SE  Possible Parts Car
74 350 SLC  Thinking converting to race

AMG69

Andreas are you fitting one of the Unwired WUR they are talking about on the M100 site?  http://www.unwiredtools.com/utcis.html#UTCISPT
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

s class

Here in South Africa the speed limit on the highway is generally 120.  THey allow you 10% grace on top of that, plus the fact that most car's speedos generally overread, means that I travel usually at 140 (indicated).  And yes 116.025, I agree the euro 280 is brilliant at 4500rpm and up.  In other words, 140km'h is just about where it starts to get good.  I pity you people with sad speed limits.  And when my 280SE was my daily driver, I used to get at least one trip a week of say 400km at 140km/h.  Now thats what causes me to love the euro 280.

Off the record, I used to travel right from one end of South Africa to the other and back every second weekend.  Thats a round trip of almost 2000km twice a month!  For those distances 140km/h is just too slow, and I once did almost the whole trip at 170km/h or more.  That's 5500rpm plus in the euro 280.  Let me tell you, 116.025 - THAT's living.  I think I had a smile on my clock for a week after that.  At that speed I did the entire one leg of the trip (600km) without stopping in like 3 and a half hours.  And no back ache or butt ache - just a big smile.

Sadly that was many years ago and now speed limits are much more strictly enforced.  So speed limit plus a little tax equalls 140km/h is the order of the day.   

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Andreas

Chris,

I doubt I will be installing one of the unwired WUR. But who knows as the current price for a WUR for a 6.9 is 3k. Ouch My mechanis thinks he can get one cheaper. If not I might go woth the unwired one.
Andreas
78 450 SEL Parting out
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172

robgee

I've had my 450 upto 150kph just recently as it sort of comes into its own around 90 to 100 kph when most Aussie cars start running out of puff.
The problem we face here in Victoria is speed cameras almost on every corner.So even though the car is willing and the spirit too the licence and the wallet aren't.

oscar

Quote from: robgee on 21 June 2006, 06:06 AM
I've had my 450 upto 150kph just recently ....
The problem we face here in Victoria is speed cameras almost on every corner....

You're not wrong.  Sorry to dish out on the Vics but our trip to Melbourne in our Ford, you round a corner doing your 110 plus a bit and bang, no warning just a few grey poles in the bushes ahead.  Hit the anchors a few times without having my pic taken (hopefully).  The worst part is, you think your in the clear when 200m down the road, another set of radars, cameras etc in the bushes.  I've heard the Vic cameras are less tolerant than the NSW ones.  At least NSW warn you well in advance with signs.  Noone should theoretically be booked by fixed cameras in NSW.

To the Vics credit, I have to make mention of the friendly folk that flashed their highbeams warning us and others of mobile speed traps ahead.  It happened around five times.  The one that made us laugh is a ?maybe a w140 with a grey haired woman driving and another female in the passenger seat, flashing and waving at every car from a distance.   "Go Girl" I said.  If it's good enough for her, it's my duty to pay it forward.  NSW can have unmarked cars going back and forth trapping the flashers, so we're a bit hessitant.  I've never noticed so much cooperation amongst a bunch of motorists over a long weekend happy to do the 10+km/hr over the limit, stay behind the lead car, and warn oncoming traffic. 
Yes there is such a thing of safe speeding. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Quote from: s class on 21 June 2006, 02:59 AM
Here in South Africa the speed limit on the highway is generally 120.  THey allow you 10% grace on top of that, plus the fact that most car's speedos generally overread, means that I travel usually at 140 (indicated).  And yes 116.025, I agree the euro 280 is brilliant at 4500rpm and up.  In other words, 140km'h is just about where it starts to get good.  I pity you people with sad speed limits.  And when my 280SE was my daily driver, I used to get at least one trip a week of say 400km at 140km/h.  Now thats what causes me to love the euro 280.

Off the record, I used to travel right from one end of South Africa to the other and back every second weekend.  Thats a round trip of almost 2000km twice a month!  For those distances 140km/h is just too slow, and I once did almost the whole trip at 170km/h or more.  That's 5500rpm plus in the euro 280.  Let me tell you, 116.025 - THAT's living.  I think I had a smile on my clock for a week after that.  At that speed I did the entire one leg of the trip (600km) without stopping in like 3 and a half hours.  And no back ache or butt ache - just a big smile.

Sadly that was many years ago and now speed limits are much more strictly enforced.  So speed limit plus a little tax equalls 140km/h is the order of the day.   

Well, I'd probably have to say that I'm among those with sad speed limits...most of my 34-mile drive to work is 65 MPH (~105km/h) and once in a while for other trips, I get to go where it's 70 MPH (~112km/h).  When I hit 160km/h, I was in a pretty deserted area, I didn't care to have a discussion with a member of law enforcement about it...though traffic driving to work is nuts...in the same ~105km/h zone, people are driving (across different lanes, usually) anywhere from 90km/h to 150km/h(assuming traffic isn't moving slowly)...I usually keep it around 125km/h so that I'm passing plenty of people, but still getting passed by a few.  Though on the recent 430mi trip to KY I kept it around 140km/h, which wasn't bad.  That 160 km/h was that fastest I'd ever driven, and I could tell I was moving, for sure.  ;)

Ohh man, Ryan, a 2000km trip at 170km/h+ in a 280 does sound like the good life.  I can't wipe the smile off of my face just thinking about it.  ;D

Bandolero

Hey, Andreas. It is Bandolero...not Bunderloo!   ;D

Back to the topic.

I have driven my 280SE at 160kmh on my dirt road and am absolutely amazed at how stable the car is, no drifting etc. Takes the bumps like they weren't there. Rock solid on the road!!
Certainly better than my '78 Holden Kingswood. Anything above 110KPH and it is "hang on for your life!"
The 6.9 I am slower with, except when I drive in the city. I have to be the first off from the lights and normally am!!
Just can't help but use all that grunt. Makes me smile all the time.

Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

Andreas

Sorry was to lazy to look up the correct spelling.  ;D

have now taken  note see you soon the car radiator is being fixed today and looking at the new WUR soon to I hope.

Andreas
78 450 SEL Parting out
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172

s class

When I completed the 600km "sprint", I got out for a pee brake and marvelled at the car.  The temperature had remained on 82 deg the whole time, it was summer, but admittedly late evening.  The car was so composed, there were quite a number of insects that had suffered "high impact deaths", but otherwise the car appeared as if I had just done a Sunday cruise.  The exhuast was very light grey (until Jan '06 we still had lead here), and in the 600km it used nearly half a litre of oil.  How disappointing. 

Another highly memorable trip was once through the backwoods of northern South Africa for about 250km on "b" roads - winding, single carriage way, badly surfaced, wrong cambers, unmarked blind rises, unmarked bends etc etc.  In some places heavy pot holeing and rippling (note this IS a tarred road).  The speed limit is nominally 120km/h but that is pretty optimistic for most garbage mobiles.  The hills and other unexpecteds usually dictate that 100km/h is a safer mark.  I did this trip once at 140 to 150 most of the time, only dropping below that for slow moving traffic.  The car was totally brilliant on the rough surfaces, never bottoming out or losing traction.  I enjoyed the trip immensely because I was at the top end of feasible speeds and thus had to concentrate very hard.  I felt as if my w116 and I were one......

Come to think of it, there were many times I felt "one" with the 116. 

Ryan