News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

High Mileage awards?

Started by Des, 14 February 2007, 04:17 AM

Des

has anyone ever applied for one of these for your w116?

High Mileage awards
http://www.mbusa.com/heritage/index.do

oscar

Well hell yeah, but is it that simple?

I was just about to say "Have you seen Fraser's thread on the club site" but yes you have :D

Anyway, I have to read it all again and your link properly but I assumed it was for US only.  Unlike the "birth certificate" which is available from that US classic centre address and stuttgart, this application is straight to NJ. 

I'm game to try it though.  Will have to investigate what proof is needed.  The "Dealer Rep Signature" has got me stuffed, and I wonder why they'd ask "mileage personally driven (if not original owner)".

There is a mention of "US residents only" but, I'm going to be optimistic and say they're talking about the PO boxes.

Actually, stuff em!!!! Let's get our own mileage badges, or curved add ons for the upcoming grill badge.  What do you think??
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Des

Quote from: oscar on 14 February 2007, 05:05 AM

Actually, stuff em!!!! Let's get our own mileage badges, or curved add ons for the upcoming grill badge.  What do you think??

have we really got enough members for 10 more sub committees and 5 chairmen of the committees?

:D

oscar

:D :D

I deserved that.  However, stay tuned.  I'm not quick with photoshop but my thoughts were to have say 250,000km for example added on to the grill badge after we get them.

No committees, no polls, no verification or proof of mileage.

I'll make mine and if all goes well, tell me what you like. You can even embellish if you want.  I have ferrous chloride solution, brass plate of various thicknesses which are thin but can be fused, plus etching transfers.  Basically I design the mileage number add-on via the computer, print it on a transfer sheet on a laser printer, iron on to brass sheet, throw it into an etching tank. I can imagine the numbers be attached to a flat section (or the whole lot a single piece) whith two holes where the badge screws will go thru.

I'll post an artiste impression soon. ;)

oscar

Since this badge is winning the poll, at the moment :-X  I thought I'd throw it in as an example. 

Imagine the numbers as being see-thru as pictured, thick as the badge, all brass and polished, joined or part of a thinner plate behind the badge.  Look at the shine, who could resist one? ;D

Click for a bigger pic.

Des

Brian Crump

Looks good Oscar. Very classy.
BC

gregdeklerk

Oscar, try the milage at the bottom of the badge? As for genuine MB high mileage badges, I tried the exercise when my white 280S hit 300 000km. They are very strict and they basically wanted a full service history with the service book stamped by official MB dealers only!! Now who has that I ask you?

Greg

Andrew280SEL

My 280SEL has done 530,000kms... I dont know if thats a good or bad thing  ???
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Andrew280SEL

Well I'm the fourth owner, but as far as I know, yes. ( the previous owner was in a profession that had him making runs from one side of the state to the other WEEKLY) But shes still going strong. ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Braminator123

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 18 February 2007, 03:34 AM
Well I'm the fourth owner, but as far as I know, yes. ( the previous owner was in a profession that had him making runs from one side of the state to the other WEEKLY) But shes still going strong. ;D

Hi Andrew, at 560000km, surely the highest mileage daily driver w116 in Oz?

BCDC

Wow, I have a long way to go then. I'm off for a Sunday drive to see our son and my car only has 97,000 on the clock, better get moving!

BCDC
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS