News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Hey, new member and W116 Owner!

Started by JohnnySomersett, 30 January 2012, 03:21 PM

JohnnySomersett

Evening everyone :)

My names Johnny and I just bought my first Merc, and it's a W116. Thats why I'm here  ;)

Got it home yesterday (just) after a slightly nightmarish journey home and looking forward to cruising it around my town looking regal.

She's had 3 owners before me, the last having her for 12 years. 101k on the clock. It's a 450SE by the way. It's got some rust in places but nowhere too structural, and most of it not immediately obvious. BUT, I've been a long time Datsun freak so Im used to a bit of the brown stuff  ::)

I have a couple of questions for you knowledgeable persons if you don't mind...and apologies - this is my first Merc!

a) The alternator died on the journey home, and I have one from a W126 on its way... replacements (non merc) all seem use the same part number for W116 and W126 so is it a safe bet it'll fit? (the online places sell the FRIESEN 9031400 for almost all S-class 1973-1986!)

b) The existing alternator has a random red wire with a spade connector coming out of the back that's not connected to anything... is this supposed to be there or connected to something?

c) the passenger side front door handle is knackered (RHD car), can anyone confirm that this part number is correct to replace it: A1167600159

Again, apologies for some Q's in my intro post but I wanna get this beauty rolling as quick as possible!

Many thanks  ;D

gavin116

Hi Johnny

Nice car, but then I suppose I am biased.  I too have a V-reg 450SE in classic white.

No idea about the alternator, but that loose wire doesn't sound right.  I'm sure someone will be around soon enough to give you help and advice.

Regards

Gavin

P.S. why not join us at Brooklands the beginning of March? (http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/)
P.S.S. you can see my car here (http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/)
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

mirafioriman

Nice to see you got it ;) and nice to see you on here. Looks like you got a bit of a bargain, would love to be driving round in a W116 myself but economy is the name of the game at the moment :(

Shame aboult the alt, the guy mentioned a weak battery in the ad, perhaps it might be a good idea to replace this too.
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

JohnnySomersett

The loose red wire looks like an instrument feed or something, the main plug has all three wires going in and out fine. Weird.

Yeh, the weak battery was no doubt due to the dud alternator. I did get a shiny new battery from the AA when it konked out on the M1 Sunday evening ("You got 2 options, wait 2 or 3 hours and we'll get you home or I give you a new battery and and you just go for it. You're an hour away so you'll have to be quick")

Im not worried about economy, this is my 'toy' car -  the daily does 45mpg which makes up for it!

charlottesbutler

How do, Johnny

I'm new to Benz myself, with a 76 RHD 450 se Oz delivered, which is similar to yours. Nice cars, aren't they.  The forum's online manual is well worth getting to know, but I have been unable to find a definite answer for you there on this Q. A look at my hardcopy 123 manual shows just the 3 connections, and no spares. Some wiring looms are used across many models, and that might explain the dangler.

My own alternator has a 3 pin connector and that's it. Google 'Bosch diagram' and there are useful pix and pages to compare with what you have. The spare wire may just be a field testing wire which bypasses the reg. I would ignore it. There is a very good guide to how alternators work at http://www.ratwell.com/technical/ChargingSystem.html

The part number checks with my own lists. Go slow if in doubt about correct connections other than the multiplug, as one wrong wire can fritz the whole thing. As Gavin116 says, someone will soon put you right. In Oz, we are getting over a holiday, so many members may not be browsing.

Finally, your external LHS front door handle part number matches my own list, but it says 'without key, give lock number'. Be sure that's what you want. Good luck

Rod
Wot Me Worry?

JohnnySomersett

I changed the alternator, and the new one didn't have that wire. All works fine now :)

One thing I noticed today whilst out for a spin around some army roads is that I can't seem to get it to spin the rear wheels. It's silly I know but the teenage boy inside me fancied a little burnout but...no matter what i tried it wouldnt spin up! Even in the S or L gear setting! Surely these beasts have the strength in them!?!? Or maybe the kickdown to 1st isn't working (though I thought these only had a 3 speed)

Any ideas?

WGB

Welcome Johnny,

Pleased you have fixed the alternator.

The V8 116's have very sophisticated anti-squat rear hubs that keep the rear level and help the traction which when combined with the 3 speed auto make for "cultivated " take offs.

You need a 6.9 or a wet road if you want to be a "Ferral" ;D

Bill

TJ 450

I agree, a 6.9 will spin its wheels easily at part throttle depending on the tyres, but a 450 will not.

Besides, loss of traction doesn't get you anywhere except where you don't want to be. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

adamb

Congratulations on your purchase. I saw it on eBay and it's nice to actually hear from a happy new owner. I might have a passenger side door handle unless you are looking for new. The March Brooklands meet is a must event for anyone in UK who doesn't live too far. Afterwards you will have bragging rights about the first ever UK Mercedes W116 meet. I've taken out a trade mark  :D :D :D

JohnnySomersett

Quote from: adamb on 02 February 2012, 11:09 AM
Congratulations on your purchase. I saw it on eBay and it's nice to actually hear from a happy new owner. I might have a passenger side door handle unless you are looking for new. The March Brooklands meet is a must event for anyone in UK who doesn't live too far. Afterwards you will have bragging rights about the first ever UK Mercedes W116 meet. I've taken out a trade mark  :D :D :D

Yeh, Im quite interested in the Brooklands thing...the more people I meet the more Ill learn!

Can you see if you have that handle? Im not fussed about new at all, just so long as it's functional! Price via private message if you want

oscar

Hi Johnny, congrats on the purchase.

On breaking traction under power -   Having a non limited slip diff you will at best only get one wheel to spin but it can be done. Either by putting trans in L, left foot hard on brake, right foot down on accelerator and ease off brake a little. Once one wheel slips it's kind of self sustaining.  An easier way still is whilst turning from a standing start but with out use of the brake. Halfway through rolling into a tight turn say into a "T" intersection for example, plant the accelerator and the inside wheel will lift and spin.  Given a little practice to avoid oversteering or fishtailing you'll be able to keep a straight course with the inside wheel spinning for some distance.  I know it's not how we/you drive these cars all the time but curiosity gets the better of of us sometimes so whilst they're not the best cars for smoking tyres and you say you're not able to do a burnout, all I can say is you're not trying hard enough ;)

1973 350SE, my first & fave

robertd

Hi Johnny,
Welcome to 116 club, looks like a very clean 450, congratulations
Robert
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

Kjhall65

Looks like this is the place for newbies with white 450SE?  It's great to see others with similar cars.  I have had my white 450SE for about 18 mths now and love it.  I'm slowly getting bits done to it.  Rebushed the front end recently and new shocks.  The steering box is next on the agenda in the next week or so.  And then I need to make a decision on the big thing.  It's on LPG and I want to put it back onto the original k-Jet.

calvin streeting

" It's on LPG and I want to put it back onto the original k-Jet."

Realy.. i want to go the other way :)

Hemersam

Yep! Cruise in a 116 and you DO look regal. I love mine (it's white, too).
Hemersam