News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Help me!

Started by 007, 06 January 2014, 05:43 AM

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: 007 on 11 January 2014, 06:32 PM
Thanks or this info. I think it is not factory armoured. Who knows? Factory or not?

Only one way to find out! (Rolls out the Gatlin' gun.)
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 11 January 2014, 06:49 PM
Quote from: 007 on 11 January 2014, 06:32 PM
Thanks or this info. I think it is not factory armoured. Who knows? Factory or not?

Only one way to find out! (Rolls out the Gatlin' gun.)

Lol)

John Hubertz

Unless you are seeking the armor for actual use, and have pockets as deep as a mighty ocean, I encourage you to review your options.

Factory armored cars and aftermarket armored cars universally lose the ability to see out of the heavily clad windows as the vehicle ages.  Already compromised due to the 2" + thickness of laminated glass, the lamination begins to yellow due to chlorine leach as the materials used to bond the layers of glass and plastic begin to degrade. 

Look at a 15 year old car with plastic headlights, and then imagine all four side windows of an automobile being in that condition - and due to the multiple layers they can neither be restored nor replaced.  Nobody makes laminate armored glass anymore as polycarbonate is 1/4 the weight and thickness with similar protection.

With a similar amount of money you can purchase an investment-grade W116 450SEL 6.9, a vehicle that is legendary for brute force, indestructibility and serious gangster cred.

Please somebody, I don't have time - could someone please post the Ronin and Lost Horizon clips for this new enthusiast?

If true armor is what you want and need, I believe the W140 series from 1990 - 2000 would be the ticket.  Due to the already super thick nitrogen filled glass on the top line models, the S-class with armor is both serviceable AND you can expect the glass to stay clear.  Also, with the high velocity rounds now common in any serious attack, you must be made aware that the W116 with factory armor wouldn't pass even the lowest modern standard - but the W140 will.

I look forward to how this comes out - as you can find armor if that is your heart's desire.  I wasn't expecting the Sultan of Brunei to become a member (and it would take his wallet to replace the glass).
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

Quote from: John Hubertz on 13 January 2014, 08:22 PM
Unless you are seeking the armor for actual use, and have pockets as deep as a mighty ocean, I encourage you to review your options.

Factory armored cars and aftermarket armored cars universally lose the ability to see out of the heavily clad windows as the vehicle ages.  Already compromised due to the 2" + thickness of laminated glass, the lamination begins to yellow due to chlorine leach as the materials used to bond the layers of glass and plastic begin to degrade. 

Look at a 15 year old car with plastic headlights, and then imagine all four side windows of an automobile being in that condition - and due to the multiple layers they can neither be restored nor replaced.  Nobody makes laminate armored glass anymore as polycarbonate is 1/4 the weight and thickness with similar protection.

With a similar amount of money you can purchase an investment-grade W116 450SEL 6.9, a vehicle that is legendary for brute force, indestructibility and serious gangster cred.

Please somebody, I don't have time - could someone please post the Ronin and Lost Horizon clips for this new enthusiast?

If true armor is what you want and need, I believe the W140 series from 1990 - 2000 would be the ticket.  Due to the already super thick nitrogen filled glass on the top line models, the S-class with armor is both serviceable AND you can expect the glass to stay clear.  Also, with the high velocity rounds now common in any serious attack, you must be made aware that the W116 with factory armor wouldn't pass even the lowest modern standard - but the W140 will.

I look forward to how this comes out - as you can find armor if that is your heart's desire.  I wasn't expecting the Sultan of Brunei to become a member (and it would take his wallet to replace the glass).

Thank you for the replay. I want to make a collection of all armored MB S classes. W140 is not the variant. I already have got a b7 armoring level W140 Sel 500. I don't ask you about w108 Sonderschutz, because i know that you won't help me. I ask on w116 forum, about w 116! WWHHOO CCAANN HHEELLPP MMEE?

Caracas100

QuoteI wasn't expecting the Sultan of Brunei to become a member (and it would take his wallet to replace the glass).

John, aftermarket armored cars are not so rare in certain countries like México, Colombia or, where I live, Venezuela. Actual cost of "bullet proofing" is around $22k, certainly not cheap, and plan to replace all the "clear" parts every 7 years or so.

Here you can find like with 30 different "species" (imho, most of them worthless): http://listado.tucarro.com.ve/otros-vehiculos/blindados/

Quote from: Caracas100 on 14 January 2014, 03:36 PM
QuoteI wasn't expecting the Sultan of Brunei to become a member (and it would take his wallet to replace the glass).

John, aftermarket armored cars are not so rare in certain countries like México, Colombia or, where I live, Venezuela. Actual cost of "bullet proofing" is around $22k, certainly not cheap, and plan to replace all the "clear" parts every 7 years or so.

Here you can find like with 30 different "species" (imho, most of them worthless): http://listado.tucarro.com.ve/otros-vehiculos/blindados/
We are talking not about armored camry. We are talking about old mercedes, but you are right in one thing. In this countries are a lot of armored w116. I know this.

John Hubertz

It is pleasing to know you are a serious collecter, not a poseur who wishes to impress females.

I am eager to help.  I will search if necessary for years - as I am already for a particular, rare variant of Subaru.  I am as patient as a tortoise waiting for a strawberry to ripen.

If you hang around here I'm sure that we can provide near-worldwide eyes and ears.  After all, we cruise W116 classifieds constantly; so notifying you of an armored version will happen no matter how rare it is. We pay attention to these cars in all their variations.

Here's the last armored W116 I've seen - a 450SEL that sold for $4000 in Oklahoma City in 2004.  Whether it was factory armor I do not know.  I believe it had Euro specification engine tuning and then was converted fully when imported a year after being used in Saudi Arabia during oil exploration.

Take heart, the right car will appear.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

karmann_20v

Quote from: 007 on 14 January 2014, 02:32 PM

Thank you for the replay. I want to make a collection of all armored MB S classes. W140 is not the variant. I already have got a b7 armoring level W140 Sel 500. I don't ask you about w108 Sonderschutz, because i know that you won't help me. I ask on w116 forum, about w 116! WWHHOO CCAANN HHEELLPP MMEE?

So care to share your collection? Post some pictures for those of us (like me) that are interested to see the special models in your possession.

Caracas100

QuoteWe are talking not about armored camry. We are talking about old mercedes

I think you didn't get the point on my last post. Wish you good luck.

Quote from: karmann_20v on 14 January 2014, 08:45 PM
Quote from: 007 on 14 January 2014, 02:32 PM

So care to share your collection? Post some pictures for those of us (like me) that are interested to see the special models in your possession.
I will try to post pictures in the evening.

Quote from: John Hubertz on 14 January 2014, 08:02 PM
It is pleasing to know you are a serious collecter, not a poseur who wishes to impress females.

I am eager to help.  I will search if necessary for years - as I am already for a particular, rare variant of Subaru.  I am as patient as a tortoise waiting for a strawberry to ripen.

If you hang around here I'm sure that we can provide near-worldwide eyes and ears.  After all, we cruise W116 classifieds constantly; so notifying you of an armored version will happen no matter how rare it is. We pay attention to these cars in all their variations.

Here's the last armored W116 I've seen - a 450SEL that sold for $4000 in Oklahoma City in 2004.  Whether it was factory armor I do not know.  I believe it had Euro specification engine tuning and then was converted fully when imported a year after being used in Saudi Arabia during oil exploration.

Take heart, the right car will appear.
Share with me your patient) Thanks with such an interesting post. I hope that people on this forum know, that i want to buy a w116 Sonderschutz. I have already asked few times. Interesting w116... But do you know the funniest thing? Look what i have asked in the first post ;)

ptashek

Honestly, the best thing you can do is just keep trawling all the European and US car sales sites - autoscout, hemmings, carandclassic, craigslist. Try contacting the Classic Centre in Irvine or Felbach, try contacting the official German/UK/US MB clubs. Lookup auction sites etc. If these cars are for sale, they must be advertised somehow, somewhere - but you're talking a rarity among rarities, so it'll take time and patience. We know you're looking for one and I'm sure people here will keep that in mind when trawling the classifieds.

Also, being passive-agressive won't get you the result you hope for...
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

dsantamans

007 you have aprivate message.  I have a factory sonderschutz werkspanzer 350 SE.

Quote from: dsantamans on 26 March 2014, 07:53 AM
007 you have aprivate message.  I have a factory sonderschutz werkspanzer 350 SE.
I have already answered!