News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Hello, New here, have a question

Started by xaqofalltrades, 10 March 2008, 11:02 AM

xaqofalltrades

Greetings-

I'm glad to find such a community here for a car that I am looking to buy!

My first car when I was 16 years old, was a 1973 280S. It had been in my family for some time and fell into my hands. My father unfortunately made me sell it when I was 18 as he was tired of me putting my money and his money into it.

Anyhow, I'm 27 now, and it's time for me to have one again!

Since it's been 11 years since i laid eyes on one in person, I am wondering if the experts here can tell me if 2,000 dollars for a 1973 280SE is a good price. The car seems to be in pretty darn good shape cosmetically, and the current owner says that it runs and drives "very well" . As I said, I have not seen the vehicle in person yet, but plan to this weekend.

He is selling it due to "fuel costs" as he is older and does not work any more, he is on a fixed income. He said the car had a new Fuel Pump and Fuel relay installed just a short time ago.

Finally, what are some good questions for me to ask of the current owner? I feel like I might have found a gem here so I'd like to get on this as soon as possible.

Thanks!

pompy

Hey Xaqo,

Welcome to the forum from another young newbie.
Like you, I was pleasantly surprised and excited when I came accross this forum - best thing ever.
I actually never knew the 116 was so popular among enthusiasts - thinking I was the only nut after such a vehicle.
Anyways, 2 000 dollars - are you talking US or AUS..... or ZIM?!!!
Keep a lookout for good engine oil pressure, condition of cooling system and of course rust.
If it is an A/T check for positive, smooth, non-hesitant gearchanges and hectic oil leaks.
Do you have any pics of the car?

Good luck!

macatron

Welcome!  There are a lot of helpful people and resources here!

Where are you located?  $2,000 is a good price in US dollars for a nice 280SE.  I've been keeping track of them on eBay lately and prices are dipping - I'm sure it has to do with gas.

One thing that I would be wary of is the air conditioning if that type of thing is important to you as it can be quite an expensive fix!  I also know these cars are prone to rust in the areas under the front windshield and into the firewall so if you see any spots beginning there, it's a good idea to look a little deeper to determine the extent.

And yes, we'd really like to see photos!

Mike

xaqofalltrades

Greetings-

I'm located in Pennsylvania, USA.

I am expecting more pictures from the seller later today, once i get them I will post them, for now I have only the pics that were in the original sale post. I am going to personally look at the car this Saturday morning, so it'll be a solid few days before I personally get to lay eyes on it. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/car/595842585.html is the listing.

Things like "where the cars are prone to rust" are great things to know and I appreciate that heads up. I need more stuff like this!

I spoke to the seller today and it honestly doesn't seem like the guy knows what he's doing enough to keep the car. He's only had it 3 months and already wants rid of it because "it's more than he can handle both in gas money and in time for him to do what HE wants to do to the car, which isn't what a normal enthusiast would do" whatever all that means.

Any more tips are greatly appreciated.

macatron

Hey,

I hate to tell ya but it's what I was afraid of when you said 1973  - that's actually not a W116 chassis.  I thought maybe the older owner had been a little forgetful and given you the wrong year.  The 280SE name carried over but the car is very much a different design.

Your car looks like a W108 chassis...

Here's a helpful guide to US model Mercedes-Benzes: Link  This car appears to be a Euro-spec model, esp. given the fact that W108 280SE importation ceased officially to the US with the 1972 models.  However, this guide should still help you.  It's a nice looking car, though! ;D

I'm editing the post to add a link to W108 and W109 models that ought to help you out: Link

scraf

I did a test drive in one of those 108 type chassis Mercedes's before purchasing my latest 116. I loved the look of the thing, there's something about the vertical headlights with a little indent that makes them more attractive then the later 114/115 vertical headlight models.

However, I'd just owned a auotmatic 116 280 SE, and there was very a big difference in feel. I guess you could say that the 108 would have been lovely for sunday drives, when no-ones in a hurry, but as I enjoy to get from A to B with both speed and comfort, the much more modern feeling 116 was a much better option.

macatron

Quote from: scraf on 11 March 2008, 12:02 PM
I did a test drive in one of those 108 type chassis Mercedes's before purchasing my latest 116. I loved the look of the thing, there's something about the vertical headlights with a little indent that makes them more attractive then the later 114/115 vertical headlight models.

Agreed.  I think they're great looking cars.

Big_Richard

Quote from: xaqofalltrades on 10 March 2008, 11:02 AM
Greetings-

I'm glad to find such a community here for a car that I am looking to buy!

Greetings fellow 27 year old!

You have made a wise choice to return to the w116 owners lifestyle, they are a fantastic car.