News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Hello from the Philippines

Started by Johan01, 07 November 2005, 12:03 AM

Johan01

I stumbled onto this forum, rather by accident.   I'm so glad I found it.

Hello from the Philippines!   I have a 1979 350SE with a 4-speed manual transmission.  White on Black MB-tex, with 14" Baroque wheels.   Very short option list, but I think that's where it shines -- no sunroof, no central locking, no power windows, not even automatic tranmission.  Just a V8.  :twisted:

Mforcer

Welcome Johan to our forum. Please make yourself and your car at home :)

Thanks for the photos of your car - it looks amazing! I don't remember ever seeing a white W116 looking so good. Is there any story behind it?

I also think you can consider yourself lucky with the short list of options. Apart from fewer things to actually break or leak, I would imagine that there are very few cars with such a short options list. I would guess it would be just as rare as those with a full options list.

How much fun is the 350 with the 4-speed manual?

Cheers,
Michael
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Johan01

Thanks for the warm welcome!   The 4-speed sitting behind the M116 V8 is just pure fun.

I've had a W126 500SEL with an Automatic, and its not as fun to drive as the W116 with a 4-speed.

My car has been with the family since it was new.  It only has 89,000 kilometers under its belt.  Its a joy to drive, and so much easy to work on.  The CIS fuel delivery means no pesky computer to give you headaches.  

I need new tires soon -- am contemplating going back to steel rims and painted hubcaps.  And possibly ham it up with whiteside walls.   :roll:

Mforcer

89,000km? My car has also been in my family since new and has about 160,000km on it. Do you find that your car gets driven enough? If my car has sat for a while it can take a few days of driving before it feels 'alive' again.

Keep the alloys. I fairly recently bought AMG alloys for my car and was most surprised how heavy the steel wheels were in comparison. Those wheels must affect performance and handling dramatically. Having said that, I still have my original steel wheels and hub caps should I ever wish to dress up the car  :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Nilo AMG

Hey man, beautifull 350!! Looks fantastic and it should be a driver's 116!

Regards

Nilo

Johan01

Thanks for all of your comments.  I really appreciate the warm welcom!  :D

And yes, the car does drives better with use. After it sits for a while, it usually takes a week of daily use for it get running optimally.

But the grunt is always there whether used regularly or not.

hokman

Brand new looking car, I mean the interior is just brand new.  You got my "dream" car.  V8+manual, no options, pure driver's executive with 70's style.

Sorry, everyone for disappointing you.  I've sinned by buying a Volvo 244 turbo intercooler.  I can't wait any longer for a car.

Denis

Hi hokman

Nice car, owned two of them, got rid of them for a W123 and a W116. The Mercedes have better roadholding. The Volvo 244 turbo IC is a sporty sub-mercedes in my experience. But they can develop very annoying electrical problems, especially the turbos. You may eventually do as I did and redirect to a classic Mercedes such as a nice 280 CE if not a W116.

Regards

Denis

hokman

Denis, thanks for your comments.  You actually owned 2?  Then I think it isn't that bad after all.  The turbo is actually a rare sight here in canada.
I think I'll just treat it as a stepping stone to mercedes ownership.
My car indeed have some trivial electrical problems like the back up lights and room light.  The turbo and oil pan gasket also leaks.
But for $1000, it's comfortable, safe and quiet enough for a easy driving first car.
Denis, I noticed that you're from paris.  I've also considered a peugeot 505 turbo, but $2400 was out of my price range.
The volvo actually exceeded my expectations, and I wasn't expecting much of the live rear axle.  I adjusted the tyre pressure back to normal and it's fine.

Denis

Ok, one last post for kokman - this is supposed to be a W116 list !

The Peugeot 505 turbo was a pretty good car with refined suspension and plenty of power but nobody will service it in Canada.

Canada ? argh ! rustland ! check the bodywork and treat it

Both of your leaks may be due to the oil return line from the turbo, replace it if possible.

When all is well, you will eventually wish for the turbo performance in a more refined package, hence my mention of a W123 280CE but get a EURO one with 185 hp DIN, not the anemic north american version.
Or ... maybe a clean, white 4 speed 350 SE :-)

Denis

hokman

That's right, Styria.
It feels like a family here.
By having a volvo now, inadvertently I'll to visit volvo forums something like www.brickboard.com.

It's organised in a bad way and there's a new post about another guy's rust bucket having a trivial problem every other second.  You'll never get any replies or people as kind as here.

Although I haven't got a W116 yet, it remains a real pleasure to be here.  Thankfully, no one ever spoke of me buying another car.

Thank you, everyone.  Don't expect too much from me, I'm just a kid still learning who's got appreciation of great old cars.  Unlike some other kids, age and dust can't hide the splendor from me.  But don't ask about my driving skills.

Looking at a 350SE example as clean as this is just like going back in time to 1972 admiring the rich people getting their newly launched S-Class.

Denis

Well styria

I know that hokman is a nice guy, in fact I told him all about the 244 intercooler weaknesses so he can AVOID loosing money. Besides, I had TWO of those cars myself and frankly, they run like BMW 525s which is not bad at all. The alloy wheels on those cars are MUCH nicer and lighter than the baroque Bundts.

I was not ashamed of parking my silver 244 IC next to my silver W116 back when, they sort of go together as quality counts.

Denis de Paris