News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Hello all!!!

Started by BJ, 22 May 2007, 03:26 PM

BJ

Hi!

I'm a 23yr old student from Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa.

I recently bought a 1977 350SE to fix up and sell on again. I can't afford classic Benz ownership just yet!  ;)

Joined up by invitation from Greg de Klerk. Thanks Greg, this seems to be a valuable source of information on the W116.

Some people on another forum I belong to dubbed her The Panzer:

Some problems I still have is:

* Oil leak from either power steering or sump

* Indicator stalk doesn't hold it's position when pushed up or down

* Indicators doesn't flicker, they just stay on.

* Cruise control and central locking isn't working, obviously vacuum related.

* Some intense polishing and paint care and she's ready for a new home.

So any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Brian Crump

Welcome to the site BJ.
Fix up and sell? Bad boy!!!! Fix up and keep!!Good boy!!!!
Looks like you have a nice car there so enjoy it.
Regards,
BC

koan

Quote from: BJ on 22 May 2007, 03:26 PM

I recently bought a 1977 350SE to fix up and sell on again. I can't afford classic Benz ownership just yet!  ;)

It looks like a nice vehicle, I'd be reluctant to part with it.

* Indicators doesn't flicker, they just stay on.

If you have a hazard warning button operate it a few times, they might come to life,  otherwise it might need a new flasher relay. Another thing to check for is lamps/bulbs of the wrong type.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

BJ

I am enjoying her a LOT!

I am absolutely flabbergasted about how easy it is to drive and park in the city. The driving position is excellent and visibility all round makes navigation through traffic and parking garages a cinch.

Only thing is, the fuel consumption is killing me!!! I think that I must be getting 20l/100km or less.

I have been thinking of putting the car on a dyno for some tuning. Will this improve fuel consumption and performance?

Brian Crump

A tune up - plugs, check timing etc would be a good start...
See, you are falling in love with it already. My crystal ball tells me you will keep it.
Regards,
BC

johnnyw116

hello
i hope you keep your W116  :D
greetings from holland !   
nice W116 by the way  8) , bloemfontein nice coincidence i used to go always to a garage in the bloemfonteinstraat in holland with my W116  .             
JohnnyW116

oscar

Hi BJ

You wont be able to sell.  Give it a few months and you'll be hooked if not already and selling stolen items on ebay to buy fuel. ;D

Regarding the indicator stalk:  There's two types of stalk.  One with metal components and a later version that's predominately plastic.  I haven't attempted a fix on a plastic one yet but if you have the early metal type, this may help http://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/tip-how-to-fix-turn-signalindicator-switch-that-keeps-returning-to-centre-off/0/  Otherwise you'll have to buy a replacement.

If you're suspecting power steering leaks, I'd guess it's most probably the hoses.  Degrease the engine to try and pinpoint the leak/s.

Tackle each issue one at a time and post a different thread for each with photos.  I'm sure we'll be able to help.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

WGB

It looks in beautiful condition and just needs some mechanical Pampering.

Enjoy the drive but watch the threads on Timing Chains.

They were never cheap cars and still aren't - its just that the entry fee to the 116 experience has got a lot cheaper.

Bill

gregdeklerk

Hi there BJ.

Glad you joined up and welcome to the forum. There are a couple of us South Africans here now!! Your car looks great with the classic Olive green leather interior. I had a white 280S with the same interior. I think this colour interior in SA cars is rare, along with black. You will never see a blue interior in SA either.

Guys, I asked BJ to join up because he was saying such nice things about my car on another forum!!

BJ

Thanks Greg!

BTW, I saw the thread on the radio blanking plate in the interior section. I forgot to mention that one of my friends has a 350SE on his farm that's rusted beyond repair. I am getting most of my parts from him. Got the blanking plate from him as well. My car had a gaping hole with wires sticking out when I got it. I wanted to keep the car looking original and fitting a new radio wouldn't have worked for me.

I think the original blanking plate looks a lot better than any modern radio would have looked.

Brian Crump

QuoteI think the original blanking plate looks a lot better than any modern radio would have looked.
See!! You already have the 116 bug. There is no cure - your car is with you for life now.  :o
Regards,
BC

BJ

Quote from: Brian Crump on 23 May 2007, 01:30 AM
QuoteI think the original blanking plate looks a lot better than any modern radio would have looked.
See!! You already have the 116 bug. There is no cure - your car is with you for life now.  :o
Regards,
BC

The bug has bitten, there's no doubting that. But my dad lent me the money to buy the car and I have to pay him back SOON! Not to worry, I will definitely buy another W116 in the future. I am thinking of getting something like a W124 as a daily driver.

OzBenzHead

BJ: Welcome to the friendliest Benz forum anywhere! And welcome to M-B ownership - whatever series or model you settle on.   ;D

If you sell the 116 and buy a 124 you shouldn't be disappointed.  In my opinion (and that off many others, it seems), the 126 and 124 were the last of the really good Benzes before the unfortunate '90s did their damage to quality, reliabiliy, and reputation.

If you think the 116 is easy to drive / park / steer (and it is!), wait until you get into a 124: sharp-as-a-tack steering!

What is the paint colour? It appears (on my monitor) as a very slightly limey-green-tinted cream; never seen that colour before.

Are we on the verge of a South African takeover? I think we've had more new members from SA than anywhere else of late. (Not complaining!)
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

BJ

Quote from: OzBenzHead on 23 May 2007, 02:18 AM
BJ: Welcome to the friendliest Benz forum anywhere! And welcome to M-B ownership - whatever series or model you settle on.   ;D

If you sell the 116 and buy a 124 you shouldn't be disappointed.  In my opinion (and that off many others, it seems), the 126 and 124 were the last of the really good Benzes before the unfortunate '90s did their damage to quality, reliabiliy, and reputation.

If you think the 116 is easy to drive / park / steer (and it is!), wait until you get into a 124: sharp-as-a-tack steering!

What is the paint colour? It appears (on my monitor) as a very slightly limey-green-tinted cream; never seen that colour before.

Are we on the verge of a South African takeover? I think we've had more new members from SA than anywhere else of late. (Not complaining!)

Well we did beat Australia and New Zealand in the Rugby Super 14, so it might just be the start of South African world domination!  ;D ;D :P

My car is a very light green colour, but it's very faded as I haven't gotten round to polishing it yet. I have bought a bunch of Meguiars products, though!

Incidentally, I saw this car yesterday. Must be my car's little sister, a 280SE. (Sorry crappy phone pic)

OzBenzHead

BJ: The 'phone-pic' 116 is a familiar colour. Is it the same as yours (polishing notwithstanding)?
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]