News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Hello all!!!

Started by BJ, 22 May 2007, 03:26 PM

BJ

Yes, the colour is the same. Saw now that my car's pics were taken in bright sunlight and the 280SE's were taken in the shade.

The pics taken in the shade would give a more accurate idea of the colour.

Andrew280SEL

Welcome!!

Enjoy whatever model you finally settle on!  ;) ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

frikkie

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 23 May 2007, 12:54 AM
I think this colour interior in SA cars is rare, along with black. You will never see a blue interior in SA either.

Mine's interior is black, and it's a beauty! :)

BJ

Quote from: frikkie on 23 May 2007, 03:16 AM
Quote from: gregdeklerk on 23 May 2007, 12:54 AM
I think this colour interior in SA cars is rare, along with black. You will never see a blue interior in SA either.

It sure is! Have you posted pics of your car here somewhere?

gregdeklerk

The colour is a light fern green.

BJ

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 23 May 2007, 03:37 AM
The colour is a light fern green.

The interior or the paint colour? Thanx good to know.

frikkie

Quote from: BJ on 23 May 2007, 03:32 AM
Quote from: frikkie on 23 May 2007, 03:16 AM
It sure is! Have you posted pics of your car here somewhere?

I actually haven't, come to think of it. I don't even really have nice pics of my car yet. Sacriledge, I know... ;)

116Benz

From a guess, I think the colour is Caledonian Green (867)..Love the interior, what an awesome car!! congrats BJ I hope you hang onto it for a while anyway.

Martin 280s

BJ, Welcome from sunny Brazil!

If you sell her you're mad! If you keep you're infected!

it's a lovely car and well worth keeping ahold of. Invest and enjoy ;D

BJ

Buhleeve me, if she was a 280SE, I would have kept her. There's just no way I can afford a 20l/100km car as a daily driver.

After posting here, I just had to fetch her again today and I took her for a 20km run on the N1 @ 140km/h. It's true, she sounds so much happier after a fast run like that.

Also, she just turned 305 000km as I was driving.

Quick question: Does the new LRP petrol also leave a kinda whitish tint to the exhaust like leaded petrol used to do?

Brian Crump

BJ - 2 things;
1. LRP and ULP do not leave a pale grey tinge to the exhaust. They leave black carbon deposits.
2. 20 litres per 100 ks is not right. The motor should use a lot less - Oscar will tell you how much as he has a 350. Oscar? Oscar?
Regards,
BC

Andrew116

Quote from: BJ on 23 May 2007, 07:05 AM
I took her for a 20km run on the N1 @ 140km/h. It's true, she sounds so much happier after a fast run like that.

Well how about going a little faster??? maybe 40L/100km won't seem that much at this speed  ;D ::)

BJ

Quote from: Brian Crump on 23 May 2007, 08:55 AM
BJ - 2 things;
1. LRP and ULP do not leave a pale grey tinge to the exhaust. They leave black carbon deposits.
2. 20 litres per 100 ks is not right. The motor should use a lot less - Oscar will tell you how much as he has a 350. Oscar? Oscar?
Regards,
BC

I know 20l/100km is too much for the car, although this is a rough estimate. There's no way I can afford to fill her up and check the consumption. I only put in enough fuel to run her around. Around 7 to 14 liters at a time. A 90l tank would cost me R600+!!  :o

I think she has some gunk on the bottom of the fuel tank as she struggles to get fuel long before she's supposed to be empty. Unfortunately the fuel gauge isn't accurate at all, so I check the distance covered since last fuel top up.

Also I think my fuel pump may be on it's last legs. Sometimes it can be heard pumping very loudly when the ignition is switched on before starting the engine. Other times it's barely audible.

Also, you can always hear sucking/gurgling sounds from the fuel tank as the fuel pump is doing it's work. Is this normal? Wouldn't that mean that it's sucking air into the fuel line as well?

Thanks all, your wisdom has been invaluable so far.

BJ

Quote from: Andrew116 on 23 May 2007, 09:32 AM
Quote from: BJ on 23 May 2007, 07:05 AM
I took her for a 20km run on the N1 @ 140km/h. It's true, she sounds so much happier after a fast run like that.

Well how about going a little faster??? maybe 40L/100km won't seem that much at this speed  ;D ::)

Wow!!  :o :o

Nice photochop!

oscar

Quote from: Brian Crump on 23 May 2007, 08:55 AM
BJ - 2 things;
Regards,
BC

My internet connection shat itself for some reason for a couple of hours.  But it's back.

Last time I checked my fuel consumption was over a 762km round trip for 118litres = 15.59 L/100km. I was beaten by a 560sel and 6.9 believe it or not.  My timing was somewhere between TDC and 5o of retard.  I've since put it 5o advanced but haven't made another long run.  Once I had the ignition too far advance and made a 200km run from the mechanics for a 10.5-11L/100km approx but I'm doubting the accuracy.

I haven't experienced any strange noises from the fuel pump or tank.  The fuel pump comes on for less than a second and I don't know what the gurgling sound would be without guessing.
1973 350SE, my first & fave