News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Halogen lights

Started by 1980sdga, 22 April 2011, 07:42 AM

1980sdga

http://www.reenmachine.com/shop/product.php?productid=16136&cat=0&page=1

This is marketed towards Mustang folks but I believe it would work on our cars.

Casey

Erm, my car ALREADY has H4 halogen headlights - doesn't yours?

1980sdga

I have the standard glass sealed beam halogen lamps. This setup uses the small modern H4 bulbs which install in the reflectors.  I noticed that Mercedessource sells a plug and play set for our cars so it's on my list!

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 04 May 2011, 12:49 AM
I have the standard glass sealed beam halogen lamps. This setup uses the small modern H4 bulbs which install in the reflectors.  I noticed that Mercedessource sells a plug and play set for our cars so it's on my list!

I think mine has small modern H4 bulbs inside reflectors already!!  The glass says H4 on the front of the reflector, even (actually I remember the glass was not entirely consistent, so I will have to double-check on this).  And the headlights are wonderfully bright (except for the random dimming issue, which I hope a new voltage regulator will correct), so I definitely recommend them.  Were the sealed beam halogens less bright or otherwise inferior?  Or is it just a matter of lower cost to replace smaller insert bulbs?

Papalangi

Non-sealed headlights were illegal in the US for many, many years.  In the late 70's, folks began running Hellas and Cibies.  I had Cibie Z beams on my '65 Mustang in1980 or so and they were a vast improvement.  I stopped paying attention long ago so don't know when non-sealed lamp housings became legal but I'd guess it was the car makers pushing for aerodynamic plastic housings that needed a separate lamp.

My car has sealed halogens, I don't drive more than an hour or 2 in the dark per month and that on well lit roads so I've not put much thought into upgrading but if someone gave me a set of "euros", they'd be installed in minutes!

For a ton of info, check out http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

For a look at what I'd run if I had money to burn, http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/csr.html  They're $109 each and may not be available any more, he does not have a direct buy link.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

Casey

I just had a look - my low beams are non-sealed H4's.  However, my high-beams are the older sealed halogens.

Thank you Papalangi for pointing out the Cibie's.  These are going on my wishlist now. :D

1980sdga

That's really cool that you have upgraded headlights!  My goal is to make my SD as practical and roadworthy as possible and drive the sh!t out of it so this seems like a worthwhile upgrade.   I never would have thought of just replacing the highs...

How much different are the High beams from the low? Is there a big difference?

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 04 May 2011, 10:43 PM
That's really cool that you have upgraded headlights!  My goal is to make my SD as practical and roadworthy as possible and drive the sh!t out of it so this seems like a worthwhile upgrade.   I never would have thought of just replacing the highs...

How much different are the High beams from the low? Is there a big difference?

After I replace my voltage regulator I'll take a video for you. :)