News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Greetings - it's been a long time

Started by flutes, 10 August 2011, 06:38 PM

flutes

Howdy everyone,

I've been absent for quite a few months now due to work and starting a new business - over this time I think I've probably put maybe 10kms on the 450!  I haven't even had time to lurk on the forums....

She's in for a service now (some very expensive-sounding creaking and clunking coming out of the steering box) but my what a joy it was to drive it properly again.

Hope everyone is going well, and it's great to see a lot of new names on the boards.

Cheers,
Matt.
Matt
1977 450SEL

jjb-w116-hu

hey matt, welcome back... was your steering coupling playing up? or the box itself? i'd love a new box.... am slowly working my way through steering and front end susp components with Joe's help to isolate issues but i am sick of my steering wheel being sloppy and never returning by itself... cheers James

flutes

The coupling was fine, it was the box itself which is totally kaput - no more adjustment possible.  I've found a good second hand one which is being fitted at the moment - this new one has had the "refurb" treatment, which basically means new seals, but it has a lot of life left in it - it's hardly been adjusted at all.  I'm expecting big things as I was getting about 8" of play in either direction with the old one, as well as the terrible noises.

I was going to have new shocks fitted as well but I'll leave that till next time.
Matt
1977 450SEL

Mforcer

I had been wondering where you had gotten to and how you have been...

Perhaps it is time for that meet/drive soon!
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200