News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

got my 79 280s out the garage after 23 years idle

Started by rollin on hubs, 03 February 2011, 01:12 AM

rollin on hubs

i finally bought my grandmothers 79 280s and got it out of the garage after being sat idle for 23 years (after my grandad passed away).
The car is immaculate! custom built for my grandfather with the bamboo mbtex "leather" british racing green paint job with the matching hubcaps and 4 speed manual box. it's only travelled 71,000 kms!

I got it back from the mechanic last week with a very small bill of only $2384nzd with a full warrant(mot), fluid service and a few broken/dead parts ie steering damper, exhaust leak, new Y pipe  and starter motor.

got her on the road on monday afternoon after work and it drove so well, no hicups nothing wrong at all! that 4 barrel carby sounds incredible. this is a thing of beauty, old people break there necks looking at it driving past.
i used to have an 86 MX73 2.8 injected Cressida 54,000kms on the clock (sacked on 18s - dont hate me) and thought that got attenetion yeash not even close.

i will be posting pics of this car shortly after my father and i take a few pics...

s class

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Yesmar

- Ramsey

mswcpt

Big_Richard

please dont "sack" the w116, good, unmolested ones are very hard to find these days  8)

oscar

What a story and what a find, congrats.  Looking forward to the pics.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

rollin on hubs

This car is staying standard apart from some 1" white wall tyres and a full stereo setup (all hidden and custom door pods) this is my sunday driver.
the whole post will be shown on this blog so judge me then not now.

the cressida was begging to be lowered

KenM

Excellent story, how cool to unearth such a thing. I'm a fan of the whitewalls too, they look right on these cars somehow, more so if you have the chrome wheel arch trim. Love your excuse for the cressida, " He had it coming your honour, I was provoked...

nathan

Also look forward to pics. U if u cut the pod or speaker, get some wrecked foot card and put your originals aside. Stereos don last forever but hopefully your 116 will!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

rollin on hubs

great idea!! i may try and sorce some this weekend

gf

sounds awsome! but as a few people warned me on this site when i first got an excellent w116 that sat for 10 years, expect lots of continuing expensive repair bills, the rubber bits may have perished and you wont notice this until a few weeks or even months after running it in. for me it was a case of new seals for doors, and windsheild, ball joints, fuel and water pumps leaked, tyres went, vacume locking started leaking and eventually failed together, Start saving cash for these things!theyre great cars!

Tony66_au

I think that as far as older cars go the W116 is actually great value for money with little if any compromise when compared to more modern cars so any pre emptive repairs are always a good thing as is stock piling new mechanical parts for a rainy day.

And for this reason I am happy to buy a cheaper example and then spend money fixing things secure in the knowledge that its done right and with good parts, the end dollar expenditure is often the same and yet the results are often far better unless youve sourced a car from an enthusiast who keeps good records.

Sadly good service provenance is a rare thing.

Tony

PS... PICCIES! please

rollin on hubs

this is it 20 years ago. more pics to come the dents are now removed and replaced with a 2" scratched dent.... :(

this was all taken on film and only just processed 2 weeks ago, i will get some newer pics as soon as my photographer is free

this is me when i was 3

oscar

Wow!! Stunning car and photos.  Looks straight out of a catalogue, all three photos.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

KenM

The third pic is very interesting, with today's cameras the car would be in sharp focus as well as you in the foreground, that certainly would make a very arty shot indeed I would think.