News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Got a new project, pictorial

Started by oscar, 23 May 2008, 08:25 AM

oscar

:D :D :D  I'm with SELfor50.  Where is your car CraigB 8)

Intersting read CraigB.  I do get it regarding the gearbox although it will make more sense when I get some diagrams and that sort of thing.   Fluid change will be the first thing and I might need some recommendations when the time comes.

I have to correct you on the folowing quote though.

Quote from: craigb on 30 May 2008, 12:03 AM
interesting about the copper though and you obviously know what you are doing.

That's incorrect.  I'm truly wingin' it.  Never been down this road before but for a hack I'm picking it up quick and I've never used a MIG before.  That copper info is all from my good buddy welder.  I should say ex buddy or soon to be ex buddy when he gets my email because earlier in the day we went to that previously talked about engineering shop and I decided not to buy a $1000 Lincoln MIG welder that I couldn't afford anyway.  he could see I was tempted and as he left he said "Don't do anything stoopid, we'll use mine next weekend,ok?"  :-[

Whoops, I didn't buy a MIG but I came home and thought, maybe I'll just tack the rad support on.  (This was just after I spoke to you 13B)  Well I burnt a hole using 2.0mm rods with my stick welder :P  But I filled it then one tack led to another which led to a run over the top and then I was slowly flying. 

6hours later and she's velded all up ;D ;D ;D ;D

So, who needs a MIG afterall.  Well, i agree with what you say CraigB as it's the same kind of things me and my buddy were talking about but I found decent tack welds to hold the panel tight and during the warping/expansion/contraction I was delighted that the panels didn't crack at the weld join.  I burnt a few holes but filled them by adding and grinding and adding and grinding.  It was a huge effort to monitor the heat going through the molten steel but after stressing the welds with my weight, I've no doubt that despite the sometime turkey shit appearance, they're solid welds underneath and not held to gether by slag.  I'll admit though, I assume a MIG would've made a 6hour job into 2 hours or less if my buddy did it.

Still needs a grind and clean but it's getting too late. The alignment is so close to perfect, it virtually is. 
I even bought the paint and primer for Wednesday on, next lot of days off work. 8)
Enjoy.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

You're doing well there oscar with the welding, its a talent I don't have.

Regarding the gearbox I might be able to help you there, I have a book on transmissions, if you tell me what you've got I'll see if its in the book

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

Koan that would be fantastic.  I'm a little while from getting under there and finding out but when I do I'll email you with what I know.  All I know so far is that it's a 4spd and has a reverse whereby you pull the lever towards the roof, shift left then up.  As for welding, it's just patience, but I'm still waiting to hear back from my mate who is bound to say it's shithouse and I should've waited :D

SELfor50

Looks great Oscar!!!  I don't know anything about welding at all, but i'd trust that weld!  ;)

Either way, as long as it's on there enough to withstand your CRAZY acceleration and breaking (not to mention cornering) then it's all good!!  8)

So is that it for the front end chop job??  (besides painting of course)

oscar

Quote from: SELfor50 on 30 May 2008, 08:13 PM

Pretty much.  When I get a chance I'll grind the welds as flat as possible then my mate, who wasn't too hard on me when he saw the pics, will come and MIG any weak spots if I find any.  I still want to have another go at getting the top rad support smooth as without bogging it up.

SELfor50

Quote from: oscar on 31 May 2008, 04:10 AM
Quote from: SELfor50 on 30 May 2008, 08:13 PM

Pretty much.  When I get a chance I'll grind the welds as flat as possible then my mate, who wasn't too hard on me when he saw the pics, will come and MIG any weak spots if I find any.  I still want to have another go at getting the top rad support smooth as without bogging it up.

Looks pretty smooth to me!  8)  but if you've come this far, why not do it properly.  Only way to do things!  ;)

So i'm guessing you're probably gonna have this thing driveable in the next week or 2?

oscar

I hope so.  All comes down to the paint - (I've never used a spray gun before) but it might take some practice to make it look decent.

But all the mechanical stuff should be a simple bolt up/replace affair, same as some of the electrics, a bit of splicing and rewire here and there but fairly straight forward.  I have some goodies coming this week too.  My favourite though, this twin mercedes fan which should fit in the condenser slot, sort of, with a few custom brackets or straps added.

Big_Richard

Quote from: oscar on 01 June 2008, 06:49 AM
My favourite though, this twin mercedes fan which should fit in the condenser slot, sort of, with a few custom brackets or straps added.

Mr Schindler, How are you going to wire these fans up? to a relay and temperature switch or are you going to user rocker switches to power them???

oscar

Not sure yet.  I'm thinking maybe remote switch.  It may still work via the coolant switch alone.

SELfor50

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 01 June 2008, 06:59 AM
Quote from: oscar on 01 June 2008, 06:49 AM
My favourite though, this twin mercedes fan which should fit in the condenser slot, sort of, with a few custom brackets or straps added.

Mr Schindler, How are you going to wire these fans up? to a relay and temperature switch or are you going to user rocker switches to power them???

Gotta be rocker switches..  8)  Personal choice anyway.

When you say 'remote switch'  or coolant switch, how do you mean?  As in always on?

TJ 450

Looking good Oscar.  8)

With those fans, I would imagine you could get a coolant temp switch that closes at a much lower temp that has the same diameter hole as the existing auxilliary fan coolant temp switch in the water manifold or wherever it is. You could run a rocker switch in parallel to that for added control. That's how I would go about it.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oscar

Quote from: SELfor50 on 01 June 2008, 10:41 AM
When you say 'remote switch'  or coolant switch, how do you mean?  As in always on?

Yeah, just a switch somewhere on the inside so I can have it always on.  But what if I forget to turn it on :-\  I'd like some safeguard still whereby the fan will come on regardless of the manual setting when the coolant gets warm.   I like your thinking TJ.  Whether I use the existing temp switch or not I don't know, but the idea of the added manual control and auto safeguard is hopefully how it will end up.

oscar

Got the fan today. PB, I don't think it would fit yours after I said it would in your rad thread.  The hub of the motor is too thick.  Not a prob for me with an M110 and no condenser.  If I set it up to pull air, the motor will aim towards where the a/c compressor was but probably would've cleared it.  If I set it up to push, well there's no condenser anymore so it wont contact the grill.  Just need to make some brackets up, not sure tie wire is going to do the job long term. ::)

SELfor50

That looks bloody nice oscar!! How much did the twin thermo's cost?

And did you say they were MB fans??