News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Gallery Photo - what engine is that?

Started by AMG69, 19 October 2005, 03:40 AM

AMG69

Hey is that a Holden Commodore V6 in that white W116 in the gallery section? (Buick 3.8l V6 for our non- Oz members)???  Interesting conversion; I wonder if the Chev LS1 engine fits...hmm, add a four speed auto and sounds fun!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Mforcer

I too wonder what that car would be like to drive. I keep noticing modern engines with similar performance but smaller capacities (higher fuel efficancy) and wonder how they would perform in a W116 compared to the original engine.

I also wonder what will come next after the internal combustion engine and will I need to replce the petrol burner with a fuel cell in the future. Can't see it happening any time soon though.

Is there any aspects of our cars and engines that compare well with modern cars and engines apart from perhaps build quality? Is there something our cars have that modern cars don't due to current legislation?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

AMG69

C'mon Dave - what you really wanted to say was NOTHING looks as good in that engine bay as a M100 engine (pref with red rocker covers!).

AMG69

no way; I'm still waiting for that Perth guy who briefly appeared on the M100 site to reappear and show me his 6.9 - with the Motech Injection, extractors etc etc; I think he claimed about an extra 50-60KW over standard; with a 3.25 diff that would suit me perfectly!

Mforcer

What is it about our cars that we like so much? Is it the chrome and other shiny bits? The general shape? The build quality? The simplicity? Or is it the engines? Could it be the total package?

Is a W116 still a W116 with a non-original engine? Is it still a W116 if it has been modified by someone other than MB? What about if it was modified by AMG?

As I may have mentioned, it is hard to argue that our cars are perfect (otherwise MB would not have had to release newer models) but what is it that defines a W116 and why we all love them regardless of colour or size?
Michael
2006 B200

bobboyer5

I think that we love/like them because, more than most models, they exhibit all the tried and true Benz virtues:  build quality' no hidden cost-cutting areas; tractable power; seating position; stately styling; balanced and weighty feel under most all circumstances; etc.  You could dissect in more detail, but for me, that sums it up.  People ask why I drive such an old car ('77 450), when I've had newer Benzes...like 126's (great styling; unbalanced chassis and cheaper materials).  They just don't have a clue.  The minute you drive a decent W116, you know.  That's simply the best thing I can say!

OzBenzHead

Found this on the MBZ.ORG site, on the page < http://advocacy.articles.mbz.org/116/ >.

Why 116s Are Cool

It was been said that the problem with the 116 is that they will never be an old car, nor will they ever be a new one, they are just stuck there, in no mans land.

That is one of the factors that makes the 116 so appealing to me. I believe the 126 is even more timeless, and will continue to be so until at least 2010, overtaken only by the radical rethinks we can expect in the auto industry over this decade.

Even after 2010, they will continue to have the cachet of, oh, a real swiss watch, any Jaguar pre-87, and so on.

Contrary to what you seem to think, the 116 is quickly moving into quasi-quirky territory -- by virtue of all the chrome, if nothing else.

Some people desperately want their cars to make a statement, but they raise that to the level of a scream at everyone who sees them in theme. I have no problem with that.

But I would submit that many of us are equally comfortable with the statement that the 116, 123 and 126 and, arguably, a nice (read: low-key, particularly slc flavour) 107 simply whisper real, enduring quality and value.

And they further show that their owner has demounted from the automobile industry's merry-go-round, and torn up their fairground day pass to boot.

Here ends the lesson.

- Steve MacSween, Davide Frada
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

hokman

bobboyer, so u say w126 is worst?  that's what I thought too.  In a comparison with lexus LS400, infiniti Q45, jaguar xj40, Bmw 745, the 420SEL was complained of cumbersome handling albeit stable and grippy.  But the build quality was praised, but I don't know if it's better than W116.

the comparison: http://www.q45.org/cd1989comparison

green450

Quote from: "450SE"I too wonder what that car would be like to drive. I keep noticing modern engines with similar performance but smaller capacities (higher fuel efficancy) and wonder how they would perform in a W116 compared to the original engine.

I also wonder what will come next after the internal combustion engine and will I need to replce the petrol burner with a fuel cell in the future. Can't see it happening any time soon though.

Is there any aspects of our cars and engines that compare well with modern cars and engines apart from perhaps build quality? Is there something our cars have that modern cars don't due to current legislation?
Modern engine sounds nice but not sure about that V6 from what i know its about 280nm and a 450 has around 380 so for moving a heavy car fuel consumption would be rather simmilar but albeit looks like a nice conversion and also the overdrive 4speed would be nice, i remember my old vr commodore used to run at about 1900rpm at 100k's

Mforcer

It is great to read above why everyone loves these cars. I couldn't agree more with what was said!
Michael
2006 B200