News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Fun in the 300SD

Started by 1980sdga, 06 August 2011, 01:56 AM

1980sdga

I have 2 of these things  ;D  #2 is down for some AC restructuring and I've been driving #1 this week. I've covered about 700 miles this week and have really enjoyed it. I have the usual ACC issues and some window funkyness but overall it's been a good car.

Amazing how solid it is after some 30 odd years!

adamb

That's a good mileage to cover in a week in an old car. I do that in 3 months on my 6.9 typically.

1980sdga

At home outside the hotel...

250 miles today. Ran like a champ, oil pressure good, temp good (It's in the mid 90's here. Little cold snap...)  I think a sway bar end link let loose though...

With AC it would be PERFECT!

Getting high 20s for average mileage  :D

1980sdga

1980sdga

Casey

I drive my 300SD about 70 miles every weekday and often even more on weekend days. :)

Before I changed jobs I was doing over 110 miles every weekday!

I've really got to get my odometer fixed...

1980sdga

I use my GPS for mileage. My odometer and trip odometers work but They are not very accurate according to the GPS.  I know my speedo runs about 5 mph slow based on GPS and Georgia State Patrol radar  :o

These are remarkable cars for whittling away the miles! 25+ MPG in a REAL CAR is also sweet!

Went about 75 miles to my daughters school yesterday. On the return trip I passed my exit on purpose just to drive a few extra miles  :)  It was cooling off and the sun was setting so I just felt like driving and driving and driving  :D

calvin streeting

Quote from: 1980sdga on 14 August 2011, 10:01 AM
It was cooling off and the sun was setting so I just felt like driving and driving and driving  :D

I like doing that.. (nothing like the long way home). sound like a real cruise :),

1980sdga

1980sdga

Got home from a 460 mile trip last night. 

These things are great road cars!  Give me a 2 lane blacktop and a few hundred miles and I'm happy...

Casey

What's got you driving so much lately?

1980sdga

I've been driving a lot for years, this is actually less than I have driven in the past  :o

I'm a travel nurse and I'm trying hard to use an old benz as my work car.  I gotta admit that I'm still enjoying the car  ;D  I'm still amazed at how light and nimble it feels for such a big car. It also hides the size well.

My last road car:

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 14 August 2011, 10:01 AM
These are remarkable cars for whittling away the miles! 25+ MPG in a REAL CAR is also sweet!

Heh, that reminds me of this old VW commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XUKOUbp_PA

A Prius can get worse mileage than the 300SD if you drive them both the same and it's pushing the Prius hard. :)

Meanwhile it seems that NO amount of crazy-ass driving can push the 300SD below the high 20's.

1980sdga

About 1200 miles last week and I swapped cars Friday for fuel filter changes.  500 awesome miles yesterday  8)

I really need to do the steering coupler mod on the one I'm driving now...

1980sdga

I now have climate control in this one  8)

What an nice looking car, not just mine, but the design. It just has a "presence" that doesn't get old. I admired them when I was a kid and it hasn't diminished. Great driving car as well. Nice cockpit. And the star...