News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

from the SAE ... the new 1978 Mercedes 300SD Turbo Diesel

Started by cejpat, 17 August 2012, 08:17 AM

r5149

Thank you for the article. I now feel better informed about my all time favorite car!!

JasonP

That's a great find. There is also another one by the same authors that is only available to SAE members, or from a library. Paper 750870:

"Design and results of the five-cylinder Mercedes-Benz diesel engine."

http://www.worldcat.org/title/design-and-results-of-the-five-cylinder-mercedes-benz-diesel-engine/oclc/36963578

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Big_Richard

TJ 450

Certainly impressive, and it seems that Diesel engines in passenger cars are really only just taking the World by storm now (from other manufacturers).

Yep, the drawings were indeed drawn by hand. We're going brain-dead these days.

I didn't realise that these were the first 5-cyl engines used in passenger cars either.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Casey

Quote from: TJ 450 on 18 August 2012, 11:56 AM
Certainly impressive, and it seems that Diesel engines in passenger cars are really only just taking the World by storm now (from other manufacturers).
Diesel feels to be on it's way out for passenger cars here in the USA.  It's never been as popular as overseas.  MOST old Mercedes here are diesel, and people just assume they are diesel which is a bit silly, and are surprised when they are gas.  Even when people see one of my 450's and the engine itself, they still often ask if it's diesel.  No other company ever had much of any success selling diesel passenger cars in the US.

BMW's 535d is quite a phenomenal ride that was sold here in recent years along with the newer Mercedes clean diesels, but it's already no longer sold here.  Mercedes doesn't sell any diesel cars anymore in the US either; their plans into the future are hybrid and electric.

JasonP

I can't stand hybrid and electric. I think it's a complete sham.

Diesel is probably on it's way out of the USA because it is environmental and economical, and a good idea. That's how our government and corporations work. Kind of a reserve-logic: if it benefits the consumer, scrap it.

"World Health Organization Says Diesel Exhaust Causes Cancer"
http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/news/world-health-organization-says-diesel-exhaust-causes-cancer

QuoteA group of experts from the World Health Organization (WHO) has classified diesel engine exhaust as a carcinogen – a substance that causes cancer. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), which is part of the WHO, based its decision on what it calls "sufficient evidence" that exposure to diesel exhaust causes lung cancer and "limited evidence" that it increases the risk of bladder cancer. The new classification moves diesel fuel from the category of "probably carcinogenic" to "carcinogenic."

Whatever.  ::)

1979 300SD
1979 300SD
1977 280 E

Casey

Quote from: JasonP on 18 August 2012, 03:44 PM
I can't stand hybrid and electric. I think it's a complete sham.

Diesel is probably on it's way out of the USA because it is environmental and economical, and a good idea. That's how our government and corporations work. Kind of a reserve-logic: if it benefits the consumer, scrap it.

I agree completely.

Many, many things are carcinogenic.  Pretty sure gasoline exhaust is too.  But the newer diesels with AdBlue are zero emission, so who cares?  Cancer is not so easily quantified and is more of a holistic lifestyle thing, but nevermind that - let's add some more "useful" government agencies to try to isolate single causes.

Though I find it funny that passenger cars get all these crazy exhaust requirements while the big trucks can just have straight pipes and barrel out smoke when they hit the gas.  Just as funny as how cars get a gas guzzler tax while SUV's are completely exempt, even when SUV's are taking over US roads like crazy.  Our government is the biggest waste of resources imaginable.

r5149

I agree with you guys completely!!! Us 30yo+ MB diesel drivers are the true conservationists. How many cycles of these yuppie, plastic green mobiles will have been gone thru before our diesels are ready to be retired? All the materials & energy to create these ugly little plastic cars could be better used elsewhere.
Of course these thoughts are coming from one who thinks the entire GREEN movement is a sham perpetrated against the American public. This is being done to create an entirely new industry. Some people have become very rich @ the expense of the gullible among us!
I'd better stop here as my best friend drives a Prius. Needless to say, when we talk we do not discuss our taste in cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zook

Quote from: TJ 450 on 18 August 2012, 11:56 AM
Yep, the drawings were indeed drawn by hand. We're going brain-dead these days.
i'm a second year engineering student, and we learnt to draw before we learnt to use CAD, so i'd say not completely braindead, maybe just slightly concussed
[url=http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/1978-mercedes-benz-280s-'amg'-4spd-manual/]| '78 280S 'AMG' 4spd |[/url] [url=http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34858]| my daily; '98 Subaru Forester |[/url]

oversize

1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

JasonP

I, too, was admiring these drawings. And I actually picked this up last year at a book sale:

http://books.google.com/books/about/Descriptive_geometry.html?id=5QxDAAAAIAAJ

I'm glad our fellow engineers are still learning these principles. When the Butlerian Jihad comes, we will need people who are able to design and engineer machines without the use of computers. Like we used to. When things worked.  :D

1979 300SD
1979 300SD
1977 280 E