News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

First post... Looking at a 6.9

Started by graham, 14 August 2012, 09:03 PM

oversize

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 23 August 2012, 04:08 AM
Graham, there are regularly 6.9's for sale in the eastern states of Australia, surely you could buy one here for a few grand and ship it over ?

The dream is not over, another one WILL come by  8)

Um I haven't seen a cheap one for sale for quite a while now.....  And in NZ they're definitely not thick on the ground.  Shipping a car could cost bucketloads.  I've heard $5K from the USA.  Probably a $2K to NZ.  Road freight is far cheaper at around $800 from WA to Vic, but not an option for an overseas buyer.

Sorry to hear you missed this one Graham, but I'm sure something else will come up.  Obviously this one wasn't meant to be for now.  I'd buy that 24V NOW!!!

BTW if you do contact the new owner of the 6.9, tell them about the ORG because I'm sure we'd all like to see its progress....
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

graham

If I contact the buyer, find he's on here already and has been following my thread...  >:(

Whatever. I will try to get in touch with him or her. The comment re shill bidding is an interesting one - one of the multiple bidders (but not the winner) had very low rep (although it is 100%), was a lass (unusual but obviously far from impossible) and registered in Christchurch (so was unlikely to have seen the car before bidding). Over $7.5k is lot of money to commit to something you've not seen. Well, where I come from, it is. :) Still, innocent 'til proven guilty. (I'm far too nice!)

Going to give the 24V seller a call shortly.

Tony66_au

Yerssss....

The alleged practice is not as uncommon as you'd think either.

In the past year i have bought maybe 15 cars on Auction sites and 10 of em were sight unseen and based on the pictures, prior knowledge of the type of vehicle and phone conversations with the owners.

I have bid on far more than that, maybe 35 or so and have received 12 2nd chance offers and I dont know how many "Your watched item has been relisted. Don't let it slip away this time." emails.

Then there are the "Relisted due to non paying buyer" sob stories sometimes with empathic and yet angry rants lol

I rarely take a 2nd chance offer BTW unless I can screw them down on price and hopefully they wont be naughty next time.

Re the 300E?

Im not a fan of the engine at the age these cars are today, check the coolant and make sure its Mercedes coolant or type approved or you may have issues with porosity and head gaskets.

Casey

Quote from: Tony66_au on 24 August 2012, 07:48 AM
Yerssss....

Sadly true. I always watch eBay bidding history carefully. Unfortunately this is harder these days; you used to be able to see what all the bidders other activity was so you could pretty easily spot a scam, but they hid the real usernames in the name of "privacy", which I think is rubbish. Some things, like bidding activity on a public website cluttered with scammers, should be open to the public.

Tony66_au

Quote from: Casey on 24 August 2012, 08:11 AM
Quote from: Tony66_au on 24 August 2012, 07:48 AM
Yerssss....

Sadly true. I always watch eBay bidding history carefully. Unfortunately this is harder these days; you used to be able to see what all the bidders other activity was so you could pretty easily spot a scam, but they hid the real usernames in the name of "privacy", which I think is rubbish. Some things, like bidding activity on a public website cluttered with scammers, should be open to the public.

It is more difficult but the intent is fairly plainly demonstrated on the hidden bids especially when low rep users tickle bid to show others highest bids and then sit without adding a high bid themselves.

Then again it could just be a real bidder looking to make others think the seller is tickling via proxy and walk away leaving the tickler to snap up a bargain............

I have to say that I have seen some ingenious plays over time and every time the sites think they have it beat someone comes up with something new to annoy and spoil.

Big_Richard

Big_Richard

Casey

I start all auctions at a penny with no reserve. No tricks. Real competition inevitably ensues, and I generally always fetch a good price this way. Also type out long honest descriptions and many good pictures. I post every question and answer publicly. Also use 7- or 10-day auctions. Buy it now is okay.

graham

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 24 August 2012, 05:52 PM
I never bother with auctions anymore and haven't done for years, I always go for buy it now.

the most annoying part of auctions is snipers, at the last 3 seconds you will loose the bid and have no time to respond - infuriating.
TradeMe is better than most in this respect. When listing, a seller can choose to include 'auto-extend' (or something similar): any bids placed in the last two minutes sees the auction extend by another two minutes.

This happened several times with the 6.9.

Big_Richard

graham

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 25 August 2012, 08:26 PM
What a bloody good idea!

Ebay needs this now.
I think QXL had a similar thing.

I agree - this is appropriate, and better reflects a true auction scenario.

Tony66_au

I just put my top dollar in 5 mins before the end and let it ride, if I lose the item I lose the item...........

Especially with project items I have bought the thing I wanted 6 or more months later because the original buyers wallet outstripped their ability, and often for what I was happy to pay or less the first time around.