News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

First post... Looking at a 6.9

Started by graham, 14 August 2012, 09:03 PM

TJ 450

I know the feeling re; the water... I just had to mop some up off the floor in my 280S and I was cringing. It has now been dried out and is now under a waterproof but breathable car cover. The windscreen leaks due to rust (the only significant rust on the car, just fore of the a pillar trims on both sides).

Seeing as they're so rare in NZ, I wouldn't hesitate to spend more than 6k to get it, if it is worth that much to you... I always view it as once you've got it you can work on it to bring it up to standard at your leisure.

I spent about 10k on mine (including purchase price) to get it to the level it is now, but it was a neglected car and needed a trans rebuild, spheres, suspension work, not to mention a paint job.

I'd happily drive mine anywhere as long as it doesn't get rained on.

You're off to an excellent start with that car!

One thing to be aware of with the 6.9 is that you won't get your money back (at least in the foreseeable future), so it really is a just a love affair to own one.

Tim

1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

TJ 450

P.S. Have you read the "Illustrated Buyer's Guide" by Frank Barrett? I read that about 50 or more times before I finally decided to get a 116, and I was just itching to get a 6,9!

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

pompy

That's what I said to Ryan the other day, because 6.9's are so rare in RSA - if I can just get my hands on even an average 6.9 which I can afford, the initial outlay isn't so much. I can then, as I have money to spend, at my own pace get it to standard.
So, if I were you, I'd just buy it. You wont regret it ;)

Casey

I'd say the value is a lot more than the current bids. 8)

Besides which, when will you get such an opportunity again? A lot sounds right about this car.  Life is short; enjoy it!

graham

We may step out of value and worth, and into what I can (edit: immediately) afford... :(  Most of our money is still tied up in the UK.

To compound interest, the seller has just said that all the original service books are with it...

I can see this heading towards $10k by the end of the morning. It's already at $5500.

graham

<sad posting>

I set myself a limit of NZ$6500. A figure dictated by how much money we could quickly get our hands on... This immigration lark throws up all sorts of unexpected problems!

It wasn't enough.

A little cajoling and Mrs M agreed to running to NZ$7000. This looked good, but... Well, someone else had more $ available to them than I currently do.

There were in fact several more bids after this, and the car eventually sold for NZ$7600. I have no doubt that it was worth this, but as is the nature of auctions, had I bid even NZ$8000, someone else could easily have bid NZ$8100.

I'm not bitter. Disappointed, yes. But in the process of looking at this car I have learnt a lot, one of the most exciting things being that this is not the only NZ new 6.9 - there is at least one other, a silver one, somewhere.

And the stage is set for a future purchase. :)

Many thanks to all here for their support and advice while I pursued this car... There will be others. In the meantime, hopefully my experience will be of use to other people.

</sad posting>

Casey

Ouch. $600 away. :(. Maybe you can get contact info of the buyer and arrange to buy it for more than he paid a few months out?

Well, now you can find a cheap W123 (or nasty nasty W124), and make sure it's in decent repair while saving up some more. 450's are really quite nice too. If they are as cheap there as they are here, you may even consider one as your "budget" ride. :)

graham

It was NZ$1100 over my original budget, so I was really quite a way off. And the winner of the auction bid many times in the last hour of the auction, so I guess he (or she) is quite keen. I will try contacting them but don't hold out much hope for a future purchase from them. That said, I know there were several interested parties who already had at least one 6.9, so there may be some hope. How many 6.9s can one person need somewhere the size of New Zealand? :)

There are several 380s around and for sale, and more than a few 280s. I saw a good 280SE with 300,000+ kms under it's wheels recently sell for well over NZ$3000.

Anyway, time to get my breath back (so to speak), regroup, and hopefully be prepared for a purchase rather than have the opportunity more-or-less thrust upon me, as was the case this time around.

Big_Richard

graham

The dream is far from over!

I've been holding the import idea at arms length, if only because of the import and tax issues. Viewing, inspecting and evaluating could also be a problem, unless... :D

Big_Richard

graham

We've only just got here! I don't think Mrs & Miss M would be too happy if I were to suggest changing country - again - so soon... Besides, doesn't Oz have millions of poisonous critters that crawl or slither?

Big_Richard

TJ 450

Something to think about in the long term is having one shipped over from the East Coast of Australia. It's a similar distance from Sydney - NZ as Sydney - Perth... Certainly worth considering. Just a thought. 8)

But yes, getting a more plentiful model in the interim also has its merits.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Tony66_au

Quote from: graham on 23 August 2012, 04:25 AM
We've only just got here! I don't think Mrs & Miss M would be too happy if I were to suggest changing country - again - so soon... Besides, doesn't Oz have millions of poisonous critters that crawl or slither?

Common fear held by overseas visitors Graham, I suspect its part of a conspiratorial international joke on us as payback for the "Chuck a shrimp on the barbie" adverts..........

If you live up North or in arid regions then its a valid concern if you are prone to doing silly things as Major Tom said but if you live in cooler climes (Say Victoria) and in suburbia then you have nothing to fear.

One advantage of arriving in New Zealand from the UK is that the buying power of the Euro will set you up VERY nicely in NZ although you will also do nicely in Australia.

It is worth keeping in mind though for the future.

Re your Auction............

I am always sceptical at Auction results especially on sites such as Trademe and eBay as it isnt out of the relms of possability that someone was bidding to artificially drive the price up (Schill bidding) and that once stuck with the item due to over enthusiasm they disappear and the item is relisted or offered to the 2nd highest bidder at their top bid or by negotiation.

So sit on your cash for a day or so and see what eventuates as you may get a second chance.

Why would i mention this?

Because if I were genuinely bidding to win id just make my first and last bid moments before the end of the auction with a little room for more incase..........

And if I were feeling out the other bidders id chip away with small bids to reveal the highest bid of a competitor and then bid slightly higher hoping they would pip me at the post in the final seconds knowing I have a 2nd chance offer up my sleeve if they dont outbid me.

So Take heart in my hypothesis and hang on a day or so.

Tony