News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

First post... Looking at a 6.9

Started by graham, 14 August 2012, 09:03 PM

nathan

hi Graham,
are you certain its NZ official delivery? just curious because Australian delivery cars all had sunrooves (i know it was a deletable option) and velour was not an option i understand.  i would have thought that Aus and NZ would get the same setup? interesting and good luck!
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

graham

It is listed as being 'NZ new'... But that's not necessarily the same as actually being NZ new, of course.

I will certainly be checking this.

pompy

mmm... this sounds like mine and s class' kinda project  8)
My 450 SE was parked up for 8 yrs outside under a carport at 1800m altitude, untill 2yrs ago.
The fuel tank was rusted badly inside so I guess that's where you'll have to start, and work yr way through to the fuel distributor etc to ensure no rust/dirt is present.
Also, the calipers weres stuffed.
At 306 000kms the motor upon start-up was perfect. The gearbox needed topping up and required no further work other than servicing...
so the motor and gearbox ie seals seem to hold up well when laid up for long.

s class

Quote from: graham on 18 August 2012, 09:15 PM
Buying it and expecting to drive it would be silly. My guess is 4-8 weeks from purchase before it could be used.

If you work full-time on it.   ;)

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Casey

Quote from: graham on 14 August 2012, 09:03 PM
a very quick and frankly cursory once-over didn't show any rust. Even the chrome looks good.

There's a rust bubble forming under the paint to the left of the boot lid.  My ivory 300SD has one in the same place.  Shouldn't be a big deal but you'll want to address it.

graham

Quote from: Casey on 19 August 2012, 01:23 AM
Quote from: graham on 14 August 2012, 09:03 PM
a very quick and frankly cursory once-over didn't show any rust. Even the chrome looks good.

There's a rust bubble forming under the paint to the left of the boot lid.  My ivory 300SD has one in the same place.  Shouldn't be a big deal but you'll want to address it.
Thanks Casey - I'd missed that. The tops of both front arches need attention following the manoeuvring incident, the the bottom of the driver's side front wing, between the arch and the door, has the usual problem.

TJ 450

Quote from: s class on 19 August 2012, 01:19 AM
Quote from: graham on 18 August 2012, 09:15 PM
Buying it and expecting to drive it would be silly. My guess is 4-8 weeks from purchase before it could be used.

If you work full-time on it.   ;)
I concur with that. Even a good one is quite an undertaking, but well worth the effort of course.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

graham

Assuming we go for it and the bidding doesn't get silly, I'll be sure not to tell Mrs M about the timeframe to get it on the road!  ;)

WGB

Quote from: nathan on 18 August 2012, 10:08 PM
hi Graham,
are you certain its NZ official delivery? just curious because Australian delivery cars all had sunrooves (i know it was a deletable option) and velour was not an option i understand.  i would have thought that Aus and NZ would get the same setup? interesting and good luck!
nathan

As an ex-kiwi fromthat era there are two comments I would make,

1. NZ delivered cars if delivered new would have had very individual specifications and would bear no resemblance to Oz models. They would have been based on UK spec with euro motors.
2. It still has it's original number plates and from memory JC series plates would have been current for that time (late 70's)
3. Velour upholstery was more expensive than leather and in almost all markets except Oz and USA it was the prefererred option
4.At that price go for it but expect some money to be spent to get it right.

Bill

graham

A little more info is coming to light from sources other than the vendor.

I put the reg. into Carjam, and this suggests first NZ registration on 15th December 1993.

I also asked Ron B for his help and thoughts. The order number - 180 853 6126 80 - roughly translates that the car was sold new (or ordered) in Lebanon. He concurs that velour interior was an expensive option and recommend contacting Tom Hanson at the Classic center for a copy of the data card. That's something I'd do if I buy the car.

An NZ delivered car would have a New Zealand rego paper with it, but Ron doesn't remember anyone in New Zealand having a new 6.3 or 6.9. And the vendor doesn't seem to have an original rego paper either, although he does have up to date docs (rego is on hold, etc).

Of course, this car now being available in an auction, all this info is going to make no difference to the selling price or the seller. Or, ultimately, the buyer; a good 6.9 is a good 6.9 regardless of origin and I'm just trying to establish provenance before paying.

WGB

I would disagree that a JC plate is from 1992 unless the plate had been transferred from another car.

I owned two cars in that era a 1978 Daimler Sovereign Coupe - "HQ99" and a 1979 Datsun 280ZX - JF 4656.

I had a friend with a 1980 380SE - "KA 380"

Until the later 80's all number plates were made in a prison in NZ and were issued sequentially and remained with that car for life.

Apart from being sequential they were also issued in batches to various regions so you could usually know how old the car was and where it came from by looking at the number plate.

Bill

graham

Quote from: WGB on 20 August 2012, 01:35 AM
I would disagree that a JC plate is from 1992 unless the plate had been transferred from another car.

I owned two cars in that era a 1978 Daimler Sovereign Coupe - "HQ99" and a 1979 Datsun 280ZX - JF 4656.

I had a friend with a 1980 380SE - "KA 380"

Until the later 80's all number plates were made in a prison in NZ and were issued sequentially and remained with that car for life.

Apart from being sequential they were also issued in batches to various regions so you could usually know how old the car was and where it came from by looking at the number plate.

Bill
I knew having an interst in cars would be useful - I'm learning some Kiwi history now! (Thanks Bill.  :) )

I've updated my post... I could swear that Carjam said 15/12/1992, but looking again (just now) it says 15/12/1993. However, it also says the car has been re-registered, and was "previously registered in New Zealand". It does go further to say that the plate type is 'Personalised', and the 'Was Registered Overseas?' section states 'No'.

More importantly, it also says "Registration Origin:   NZ New" 8)

WGB

Another possibility is that the car was delivered under the Overseas Expat Scheme.

If you lived overseas for 2 years and owned the car for 12 months you could bring the car back to NZ duty free.

Many people with overseas jobs would take delivery of a new car - not register it and park it in their garage - while they drove around in an old clunker or employment provided transport and then bring a "brand new"  12 month old car back to NZ.

This was sometimes used in conjuction with the "tourist delivery Scheme that M-B, Porsche and others offered.

Bill

graham

Interesting... Thanks Bill.

The car is currently showing as having had two owners. I know ownership was transferred from Mr Previous Owner to his wife, but don't know if this constitutes the entire ownership history.

graham

Bidding has topped NZ$5000 with 21 hours still to run.

At this rate, maybe I'll be better off looking for a 450... And to think I passed up a 380 for $1500!