News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

First Merecedes

Started by Brook, 11 March 2022, 01:53 PM

Brook

IMG_20220310_070442 copy.pdfIMG_20220310_070442 copy.jpg

A week ago I became, as far as I can see, the fourth owner of a 1975 450SE. It is my first Mercedes and now that I am here I wonder why it took so long. From the moment I pulled the door handle I was sold on the engineering.

Many hours poring over this forum helped me to make the choice and I look forward to many more hours here. It is by far the best classic car forum that I have come across so hats off to this community.
Nice to see some other Irish owners here and I hope we get to cross paths some time. 
1975 450SE Anthracite Grey Metallic

daantjie

Welcome ;D   Please update your profile so members can see where you are, this helps with local support.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Brook

Apologies - I had done it earlier but it didn't stick.

hamidagha

My dad (who incidentally is why I bought my W116) always used to say: you know it's a Mercedes when you shut the door! Those in the know are well aware of the sound. Welcome and enjoy.

rumb

What color is it?  Looks great.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

gurrier

Hi Brook,

The forum is indeed a huge asset to have for anyone interested in the W116 S Class.  It is literally a goldmine of information on all aspects of ownership.

I have been doing some research and believe that there may be, surprisingly, up to about forty W116s - at least at some stage over the least ten years - registered in Ireland. 

Welcome.

Bill
1973 350SE

Jed

Welcome.  Car looks great! Look forward to hearing about it.

1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

goldacre

Think colour is Milan Brown, very 1970s  ;D my first W116 a 280SEL 1979 with nearly 480,000klm was same colour.

Gave that car to nephew who did a deal with a bloke in August Western Australia for a ute, last I heard he cleaned up a Kangaroo near Karridale south of Margaret River...  he lived, car and roo died  :'(

G
12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

Brook

I believe the colour is Anthracite Grey - it definitely has a brown tinge in some lights. About to give it a first proper wash.

rumb

What does the data plate on radiator say color is?

I thought it might be anthracite but photo give it some brown look.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Brook

Thanks Rumb. The code is 172G, so Anthracite Grey Metallic.

Brook

IMG_20220312_093850 copy.pdfIMG_20220312_093939 copy.pdf

Exterior colour is Anthracite Grey Metallic and the interior is cream MB Tex and a pale striped fabric.

The car was first bought by a doctor in Kent in England in August 1975 and he seems to have kept it until 2008 when it was sold with 98,000 miles to Bagenalstown in Ireland. In 2016 it went to its third owner in Dublin who sold it due to the loss of his storage.Each of the last two owners did about 1,000 miles a year and the car reads 114,500.

There is an incomplete service history but enough to support this chronology.  To my inexpert eye the condition of the car also suggests that it has been stored undercover for most of its life. I have an invoice for a 2005 repair to corrosion on a front anti-roll bar mount and this looks to have been neatly done. I have seen no other welding.

The paintwork looks pretty original and has plenty of touched-up chips but overall is very presentable. I was not looking for a show pony and am very happy with the condition. The interior is remarkably clean and intact. It has both a sunroof and aircon, which I imagine was an unusual combination, and electric windows. Otherwise there is a refreshing lack of gizmos.

I have fitted 5 new Semperit tyres to the steel wheels as there was a mix of brands and ages on the car when I got it. The last owner fitted a bluetooth Blaupunkt head unit, new speakers all around and a small Pioneer subwoofer. Not very vintage looking but not hideous and the sound is excellent.

It is my first time to drive a V8 and I am enjoying it very much while hoping that fuel will only get cheaper in the long run. I thought that I would miss cruise control but it seems to get up to speed and just hold it - a characteristic of that big old engine I guess.

The springy seats felt like an old mattress the first time I sat in but their partnership with the suspension is very seductive on the road.

Roadholding is very assured although there is more play in the steering than I am used to and I don't know if this is normal. The headlights are surprisingly good for a car of this age.

I am 11 years older than this car but my childhood was spent in much more modest cars and I find the quality of its engineering really striking and am looking forward to many happy miles.

Brook

Thanks for the welcome Bill. I know of two W116's in County Carlow but they are a rare enough sight generally. Like buying a red car, I will probably see lots of them now.

The forum has been an enormous help to me in choosing my car.

Nabstud

Quote from: Brook on 12 March 2022, 03:42 PMThe springy seats felt like an old mattress the first time I sat in but their partnership with the suspension is very seductive on the road.

Roadholding is very assured although there is more play in the steering than I am used to and I don't know if this is normal. The headlights are surprisingly good for a car of this age.

Agree with all this, they just sit on the road so well, seats are soft but seem to hold you well.
The lights are almost as good as a modern car, high beams are fantastic!!!
1975 280S - Australian delivered

johnnyw116

Welcome ! cool W116 you have with an good interior/exterior color combo 
and for an first W116 you made an good start with an 450SE
i began with an 280S and the time flies that first W116 was 32 years ago , but the W116's i owned from 280S up to 450SEL never bored me in all these years 

JohnnyW116