News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

First Impressions

Started by Tony T, 04 October 2009, 04:32 AM

Tony T

As the owner of a '75 W116 450SE for a few days now, I thought I'd share a few observations.
I've got other Mercedes-Benz cars, so this is an opinion based on my experience with them.
First thing that struck me is how good it feels cruising on the highway.
Cosmetically, the car is not good, but get out on the open road at 120kph and it feels sooooo good and you forget about the crappy paint and cracked interior.  ;D
The next thing is how easy it is to work on. There's more room in the engine bay than my W107, and overall it seems to be quite a basic car to work on. Craig B mentioned this point when I first started looking for an S-Class and was considering a 126. He was right................... and I'm glad.  ;)
Oddly enough, it feels like it turns better than my W123 280E. Maybe the suspension on the smaller car isn't in as good condition, but I feel safer pushing the 116 harder into corners.
Then there's the engine. Well, compared to my M110 and M103 engined sedans, it's nice to have that extra bit of power.  ;D

It's far from a perfect example, but there's something about this car that feels right. I can see myself sinking some money into it to get it up to scratch over the next few months.  ;D ;D

s class

Other cars will come and go, but the W116 experience is something that sticks under the skin.  I've been driving my W116 280SE daily for 12 years, and every journey is still an event. 

My dad had a W116 280SE (1978) as his daily driver from about 1987 to 1992, and he still reminisces fondly about it.  (since then he's had a W123 280E, C107 450SLC, R107 500SL, and R129 500SL - but he stil rates the W116 as best). 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Tony T

Quote from: s class on 04 October 2009, 05:55 AM
the W116 experience is something that sticks under the skin.

I think you're probably right about that one.  :)
Of all my cars, this is by far the worst cosmetically, but I already find myself looking for an excuse to drive it.
I can't put my finger on it right now, but there's something about it that gives me the feeling that this one will be around for a long time.

chinny4290

I'm the same way Tony.

I bought my 280S for $2k and it has a horrendous paint condition and looks like I'm a poor collge kid driving an old jalopy. But no. I can't stop driving the car. I don't care that it looks like a jalopy. I don't care that I get 15 MPG and can barely afford it. Every time I drive the 280 I feel unstoppable. I drive highways most of the time and I love looking at everything else everyone drives and think how much more inferior it is to my W116 in so many ways.
1975 W116 280S - SOLD
1994 W124 E320 Coupe - Gone

CURRENT - 1974 450SEL

TJ 450

Yes, the 116 is a really special chassis. It came at a time when DB seemed to have everything sorted and that shows in the cars. They are above and beyond simply the sum of their parts. That is well and truly a bygone era.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

ozmerc

My 116 is the only car i've owned that i've actually wanted to drive (any excuse will do) & the only car that brings a smile to my face every time. I must have been mad not to have got one years ago.

brettj

I get the same unstoppable feeling when I drive my 75 450SE. Even though I've spent 34,000 dollars restoring it mechanically, I too look to for any excuse to drive this car. The car really holds the road. Looking at the long hood with the large MB ornament in front makes you feel like you are the king of the road. Every time I drive my car people constantly check it out and tell me how much they love the car.

I really wish Mercedes would reissue this model! I'd purchase a new one immediately!
My uncle purchased my car new and drove it until he passed on in 2006. I'm hoping to be able to do the same!