Features of the W116 you like that don't appear on modern cars

Started by macatron, 29 March 2008, 01:19 PM

macatron

This sounds like a poll question but there are maybe just too many quirky things I could think of to list in a poll.

1) First, let me say I love chrome bumpers.  Now, all cars feature plastic bumpers.  Actually, they're not really refered to as bumpers anymore.  Modern plastic bumper covers are called facias.  The term "facia" implies decorative or fake.  I don't like fake.

2) I love bundt wheels.

3) Sealed beam headlights.  Everyone outside the US (and a good portion in the US) may not agree but I like them.  To each their own, I suppose.

4) Silver windshield wipers.  They're all black now.

I'm interested in knowing what other people's simple pleasures are as they pertain to their W116s...

johnnyw116

i like the chrome

i love the sound of the engine ! modern cars of this class are much more silent   

and i like the appearance of the W116 back then and now there was and is no other car that look like the W116 ,  the most today's cars you see in the traffic look much the same (not all modern cars )and with my W116 i am not one of them that i like best  8) 
JohnnyW116

brettj

I love the large grille and hood ornament as well as all of the chrome. I also like the chrome hubcaps with painted centers. The power of the motor and the impressive handling are another plus.

Even though my 450SE is 33 years old, people are always very impressed by the car. I am constantly questioned about it and receive compliments like "what a great car" on a regular basis.

I feel like the king of the road when I drive this car! Its also like a time warp taking me back to the 1970's when they still knew how to make a car; not a tin can made of very thin steel and mostly plastic!

macatron

Quote from: brettj on 29 March 2008, 07:29 PM
I love the large grille and hood ornament as well as all of the chrome. I also like the chrome hubcaps with painted centers. The power of the motor and the impressive handling are another plus.

Good one!  Most modern cars have tiny little grilles, not suitable for grille badges!   ;) ;) ;)

WGB

The view over a long bonnet with the M-B "Gunsight" better positioned up high for quick moving shots.

The 126 has a similar bonnet and view but the bonnet is not as rigid and it vibrates a little.

Bill

oscar

My pet hate of newer cars internally is some of the electronic controls of creature comforts.  Some things make life easier like remote adjustment of passenger side mirrors for example.  But other gadgetry is a PITA.  Take A/C controls - Be it the a/c switch, fan switch or vent controls, everything in a w116 has it's own slide switch, or rotary switch (excluding US climate control perhaps?? not sure how it works).

Newer cars seem to have multifunction buttons that if you miss the setting you're after, you have to cycle thru the options again or fight thru a menu on an LCD screen.  Stereos are possibly worse.  Maybe it's just the aussie cars looking flash on a budget or is it a world wide trend. 

One-switch one-function settings are easier to identify, more user friendly and quicker to set IMO and therefore safer.  Bring 'em back!  Ban the multifunction button 8)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Wolfgang Germany

I like / love:

- the great style
- the quality
- the great technical engineering
- the material caliper (everywhere at the car also there where you can´t see behind)
- the engine sound
- the M100 characteristic
- the feeling like driving a tank
- the handling
- the control (ervery switch is correct placed)
- to cause a sensation by the pedestrians when you cruise through the streets ("Wow, look there´s an old mercedes!")  8)
- the Fuchs alloy wheels
- also the wheel hub caps
- the big star on the grille (the modern versions are tinier)

kolin

i love the solid feel when its being driven, as its heavy enough on the shocks to smooth out the bumps on the road.
love opening up the engine bay and seeing this big monster V8 and not some plastic cover
love the sound of the v8 when its burbling and just above idle
love knowing that you can sit 3 in the back with a fair amount of comfort and with the front chairs pushed all the way back, knowing that even mr average's knees wont hit the seat in front.
love when i reverse, i can see the end of the boot
love when i go forward i can see where the bonnet ends
love the width of the car
love the solid feel when shutting the doors
lots to love about these cars

Martin 280s

I like the fact the W116 has real bumpers, I was involded in a small incident the other day in my W124 and now I have to change the whole plastic 'bumper' because a piece broke off!

Long live the solidity of the Classic not Plastic Benz!

116Benz

It's the last of the classic Benzes that include the driver as part of the fun, no matter what engine is in it.

Martin 280s

I love the fact that even if it's a very basic spec model it still has oodles of charm and style. You're still in a top-of-the-range benz no matter what!

alabbasi

That it was a top of the range luxury car that can be bought with manual windows, no rev counter or A/C in order to trim the price down.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

macatron

These are great responses!  Alabbasi, I like that about the top of the line but with manual accoutrements...

fig

I love the gutters on the A-pillars that channel rain over the roof to keep the side windows dry in the rain.

Most modern cars don't even have a roof gutter; if you open a window in the rain a river comes pouring in.

kolin

now that is a good point.
something that passes us by . the gutters. yes i like them.