Features of the W116 you like that don't appear on modern cars

Started by macatron, 29 March 2008, 01:19 PM

brettj

I like the gutters too. I still can't believe how well they work! Mercedes should still use that design on their new models.

kolin

i shall have a chat to them in casual conversation and tell them.
i spent a few days with the president of merc benz USA and he told me that merc dont sell cars, they sell image, so if gutters dont fit the image.sorry.nothing doing.can you imagine mercedes now in the advertising blurb mentioning the word gutter, they could use channel, drain, trench, groove trough or sewer..oooh heaven forbid.bmw would pounce all over that one.saying how unclassy our cars are,when in fact our cars are classy.

fig

Gutters casue too much drag for modern cars.

Quote from: kolin on 16 April 2008, 01:46 AM
i spent a few days with the president of merc benz USA and he told me that merc dont sell cars, they sell image

That there is why I drive a 34 year old Mercedes and not a new one. My car was built in a time when Mercedes-Benz not only sold cars, they sold the best cars in the world.

brettj

I agree! Image! Now its clear to me why  new Mercedes products rate poorly in most categories! What ever happened to creativity? Mercedes used to be such a practical car as well as the best built in the world and classy too!

macatron

Today's salesmen are still selling yesterday's reputation of quality and functionality (and this does not just apply to Mercedes).

You could sell someone a turd as a dinner table centerpiece if you could make them believe it would impress their neighbors.

I like the door handles and the weight of the doors.

arman

I like the large steering wheel
I like the soft yellowish glowing of the instrument panel and gauges at night
I like the parking brake with the foot engage and hand release (euro LHD)
I like the interior padding
I like the image of the 'old' Mercedes
I like the SLS, the anti-squat and anti-dive when accelerating and braking
I like the 3rd gear which comes in at 45km/h when cruising around town... is that the same for the 6.9?
1974 W116 450 SEL 340.000km
Black exterior (040), olive green velours interior (966)
[url="http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/"]http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/[/url]

koan

It's the double tier bumpers front and rear that I like.

They are a real oddity, I don't know if they perform any safety function or if they are just an excuse for a bit more chrome - whatever it is they look good.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Martin 280s

Quote from: fig on 14 April 2008, 03:12 PM
I love the gutters on the A-pillars that channel rain over the roof to keep the side windows dry in the rain.

Most modern cars don't even have a roof gutter; if you open a window in the rain a river comes pouring in.

On my W124 I can't even open the side windows a fraction because if I do so water comes in, it never happens in the W116! Water channels are so useful and so missed on newer cars.

wonwon6

How about the other day when this guy was raving on about what a beautiful car 'ol Gollum was and stuck his head inside for a good look around the interior . He then stood up and turned to me with with a big grin on his dial and said " oh man! that smells sooo seventy's ! I love it" ;D

CraigS

Being fortunate enough to have several Mercedes (and other marques) from the mid '50's to the late '70's, it is interesting to see the regression of quality. It would take too much time to go into detail, but one indicator is the chrome. In the '50's, this was chrome plated brass. The W116 is anodised aluminium, and now, it is either plastic "chrome" or made from an inferior metal. Suffice to say that the W116 fits somewhere in the middle between the '50's and the current models in terms of quality and features. This is only a reflection of cost, and having to remain competitive. In the '50's, it wasn't so much an issue of cost as one of trying to re-estalish itself after WW2. If you look at the 600 Grosser - a bit extreme admittedly, but they lost money on each and every car they sold, but it re-established them as the best car maker in the world.

As for features, bring back the quarter window I say !
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

WGB

Having owned a 1958 220S Ponton in the past - it had the same chromed/anodised aluminium on most of the trim strips way back then.

I agree that modern M-B's have gone through a period of very poor quality control which started in about 1986(Due to production being increased a little above capacity limits)  deepened in 1996 (Use of poor quality trim materials and wiring insulation) sunk in 2002(Teething problems with the adoption of Digital electronic systems) but was right back up there by late 2004.

Having owned Mercedes models from 1958 to 2008 I love to drive the older cars and I love to drive my 116's but there is no comparison between a modern  M-B and the older models for power, comfort, safety and reliability. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't owned the appropriate newer model with a decent sized engine.

It's just that the newer cars are boring and going for a drive isn't the same "event" as it is in a 116.

And where else can you buy a big car with a big motor for such a small sum of money.

Bill

fig

Quote from: Martin 280s on 17 April 2008, 07:11 AMOn my W124 I can't even open the side windows a fraction because if I do so water comes in, it never happens in the W116! Water channels are so useful and so missed on newer cars.

I drove in a friend's W124 230E yesterday and I noticed it has similar rain channels on the A-pillars to the 116. Did some 124 models not have the channels?

SELfor50

Quote from: koan on 17 April 2008, 05:30 AM

They are a real oddity, I don't know if they perform any safety function or if they are just an excuse for a bit more chrome - whatever it is they look good.

koan

My friend.. I can personally guarantee that these double bumpers do their job!!  The guy who ran into the back of me in a new commodore will also testify!  116 bumpers 1 : commonwhore front quarter panel 35,000 (Pieces)  ;D :D ;D :D

Martin 280s

Quote from: fig on 21 April 2008, 11:43 AM
Quote from: Martin 280s on 17 April 2008, 07:11 AMOn my W124 I can't even open the side windows a fraction because if I do so water comes in, it never happens in the W116! Water channels are so useful and so missed on newer cars.

I drove in a friend's W124 230E yesterday and I noticed it has similar rain channels on the A-pillars to the 116. Did some 124 models not have the channels?

The water runs off the roof sides and into the passenger compartment. there's no problem with the A-pillar channels it's the lack of roof guttering.