News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Fastest you have driven your W116

Started by foss, 19 March 2011, 06:23 AM

Big_Richard

I've already done my time, and had some douche bag copper drive my 6.9 away. But at-least he complimented me on it when i met up with him again at the watch house.

these days i pretty much stick to the speed limit and always use cruise control, so much so that i basically can no longer drive a car without it.

koan

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 22 March 2011, 04:56 AM
these days i pretty much stick to the speed limit and always use cruise control, so much so that i basically can no longer drive a car without it.

Cruise control is good, it has some sort of psychological effect, set at 60, 70, 100 or whatever the limit is I have no urge to go faster to keep up with the traffic but without it on I do.

I once did 36 MPH in a 35MPH zone but that was along time ago...

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

Your dead right there Kenneth.

Once set you just enjoy the ride and stop caring about the rest of the traffic. Without it on i tend to speed.

TJ 450

Sticking to the speed limit with no cruise control takes endless concentration and a lot of self control, particularly in a 6.9. Despite this, I do it religiously with the exception of a few occasions. Cruise control is great when it works though.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

thysonsacclaim

The speedo is broken in the car right now, but I'd imagine it was about 90 MPH. When I get the car back together very soon, I will likely start out nice and easy and then bring it to 100 or so.

I use cruise control religiously unless going up and down hills, in which case I turn it off on ascent and keep the gas at a steady rate, slowly reducing speed up the hill. Down hills, towards upcoming red lights and exit ramps I coast, and on straights back to cruise.

Of course, only when I'm not in a huge hurry. Mostly do that to save gas. 

Big_Richard

you have serious cops in america, real men who don't ask questions and throw you to the ground and cuff you with a single arm action.

here we have pimple faced limp wristed metro sexuals with breaking voices like the fast food boy in the simpsons.

I'd be doubly scared of speeding over there  8)

M110COUPE

Hows this for irresponsible, having bought a 79 280s slightly damaged with 80k on the clock,sight unseen, i put a new battery in it and changed a tyre, filled the tank, and drove it home no registration or wof..false plates. ::)..cruising along the motorway approaching the auckland harbour bridge i notice im doing  180km......backed off just in time and cruised past a parked cop with radar doing 100...phew! but the smile on my face at how smooth the old girl rode....priceless... ;D

scraf

Indeed, difficult to notice the difference between driving at 100 and 160 kmh.

thysonsacclaim

Quoteyou have serious cops in america, real men who don't ask questions and throw you to the ground and cuff you with a single arm action.

This is so true. The worst police (meanest/toughest/angriest) I've ever encountered were in Louisiana. But, come on... it's Louisiana... they have a pretty high crime rate, with FL not far behind.

For the most part, I don't worry unless traveling out of my normal home-to-school, school-to-work or work-to-school routes. I know most of the cops in that area very well  ::) they know the Ikon Gold Merc [already] and the Rust Orange Quad Cab I drive

It's funny because they have mock chased me down the highway before with lights on (scared the shit out of me--they all have limo tint all around so you can't see who they are). Also, once when a fellow I know was sitting in the median at night, he spot lighted my vehicle when I drove by.

Big_Richard

once as a teenager when i was driving home from somewhere feeling a little angry at the fact i broke up with a girlfriend, i was pulled over for doing excessive speed - instant loss of licence speed.

the cop in no uncertain terms explained to me, its not the end of the world, shit happens, and he had his wife leave him for his best friend. life always goes on and could always be worse and theres no need to make it worse than it needs to be by being a douche.

he let me off with a fine and didn't put the fine thru for 3 months. Must of been his understanding of the damage a woman can do to a mans mind ;)

It wasn't a laughing matter but at least he understood my state.

Stork

I find that the Florida state troopers are the best to be pull over by and the worst. Once I had a state trooper push my head forward with his gun while he padded me down Granted he was trying to catch me for 5 miles and only managed because I stopped at the red light... You know I had to follow the rules and regulations after doing 140 mph (not in a merc) but after he figured out I was one of the good guys just having a bit of fun on a deserted road he gave me a ticket for doing 70 in a 55 zone... Crapped my pants but I did not go to jail. I am sure a local cop would have dragged me in...

Big_Richard

By the looks of things, many of us 116 enthusiasts share another thing in common, run ins with the law ;)

I guess it goes hand in hand with enthusiasm for cars in general.

gf

the fastest ive been in mine is 110kph, the previous owner would race it at 160 all the time. Ill just take his word for it rather than break the law!

Bandolero

I've had the 6.9 up to 180kph and the 280SE up to 165kph. (Both on the SE Freeway.) I was amazed how smooth they both were.
I even did 155kph in the 280 on the dirt road I live on and it was so stable with no drifting. The dirt road is a limestone road with no loose "marbles" so it was almost like driving on bitumen. It's different however when they grade it, then it is easy to loose it if you are not careful.  :o
I'm a 60yo hoon!!!  ::)
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

scraf

200 kmh on the autobahn, with two passengers and loads of tools on board. She prefers to drive at 160, but still smooth as.

Know what you mean about run ins with the law, Major Tom. Now that spring is here the cops are out in force, got pulled the other day, but it seemed they only wanted to check out the car.

"American version ?"
"Airco ?"
"V8 ?"

As my papers were in order I was sent on my way, the guy in the rather beaten up 60's De Soto didn't look to be having the same luck.

Once I was sent away with the comment "Didn't really appreciate it that you were doing 160 when the limit was 90". They have these silly 90 kmh zones where new asphalt has been laid on the motorways over here, not longer than a kilometer or so, guess I had missed the sign. Fortunately they didn't have the tools on board to record my speed or it would have been bye bye driving licence.