News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Do I need two..6.9's..your thoughs?

Started by dpk, 27 February 2011, 09:10 AM

dpk

I have a good problem. I now have a 116, US del that I got four years ago; it would start, steer, and stop.  It came right up and drove fine; it needed some new interior to be complete. I replaced the water pump and the radiator as I recall, then parked it in my lower shop to 'fiddle" with at a later date.
Today seems to be the later date. I found another one in the same shape, a US del, was a daily driver until parked inside two years ago. Woe is me...Two days ago I found a 1964 230sl all there both tops, all trim and glass is great shape. Needs everything.
What to do? Would anyone have an onion as to the 450 6.9, mine is black, the other one is blue, I have an appointment to see it on Tuesday, I guess  he would sell it right.
Thanks
Dennis
Ps, I just joined and will post pics later this week

Car 1- my 6.9, needs interior work, body is fine, glass is fine, not started in four years, might need suspension work now and?
Car 2- The blue 6.9 needs suspension work(bags) just parked in a shop
Car 3- 230sl, all there a US car, needs a ground up restore

Tony66_au

Better the devil you know Dennis!

And black is cooler than blue.

Then again it cant hurt to have spare parts if the money is right.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony66_au

nathan

theres only one thing better than a 6.9, and thats two.
and theres only one thing better than two 6.9s and thats three.
wait a minute, thats two things better than one 6.9! go fot it!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

s class

6.9's seem to all differ - its like they have their owm personalities.  I have two, and if I had the chance, I'd get a third. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

ponton

I don't understand why you have to choose between the sl and the 6.9.  If nothing else put one of them in your lower shed and save for a rainy day, assuming the price is right.

thysonsacclaim

Coming from someone with 0 6.9s, I'd get the 6.9. I dont know anything about the SLs, but from what I have read of the 6.9s, its a very rewarding car to work on, drive and they hold their value very well from the ones I've seen for sale.

Even just a "poor" condition 450 SE has a KBB est resale of $3999. Of course, I think the book values are a tad inflated, but still.

Plus it seems the 116s in general are coming into their own as being desirables. Ive seen more and more for sale on eBay and locally. Id chalk that up to demand.

With another you could choose which would be the more worthwhile project and use the other for parts, if you wanted.

WGB

I would take one 6.9 and one 113 and make sure they were both perfect.

Bill

dpk

Hi Guys, Thanks for welcoming a "newbie" to the forum. On the 230sl the update...now that I showed an interest in purchasing the car, his wife has decided that she would like "her car" fixed and running.
No deal right now, however I will stay close and wait.
Oh, you will love this; the 230sl is a great barn find, not run for the last eight years sitting in a barn. This car needs everything ....so what do you think the owner is planning to have done right away....that's right ....paint the car!
Bright dodge white.
A perfect complement to the rotted out blue interior.
I think another  6.9 is in the card, the game is afoot...