News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Decision time

Started by 116Benz, 03 February 2008, 08:54 AM

116Benz

After working on the SEL for a few months I've started to realise that maybe this is a bigger project than I envisaged. I have a decision to make.
1. Part the car out, the good stuff is limited to some body panels, the glass, some of the wood (I cheated and didnt install ALL of the wood that I bought off Styria) and alot of the switches and knobs and 3 out of 4 power window motors and I guess the sunroof motor. All the doors have rust in them (the drivers door being the worst) the engine is ok, but blows smoke and doesnt have chain rattle that I have seen (I am thinking of using this as the basis of an engine rebuild for the SE) the diff is whining, the autobox is burning fluid (apparently on the data card the info says the car should have a manual box, theres nothing to say that is real other than the data card). Tyres seem to be ok, hubcaps are ok, the bulk of the chrome is good appart from the back bumper that has some dings in it.

2. Thow the thing on ebay and if it fails to sell, pull the decent stuff out of it and use it for the SE resto.

I'm kinda at a loss as what to do, it seems the more I pour money into it, the more its throwing something back at me making things harder. (after replacing the headlights on the car, I closed the bonnet and the pass side headlight glass shattered, no, I didnt slam it either)

General consensus...gimme some ideas?

Andrew280SEL

Well, I would personally keep it for parts. In your case, you've got it as a parts car for the SE.

Of course, it may depend on how many parts you actually need for the SE...but then again, you never know what you might need in the future. :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

Quote from: 116Benz on 03 February 2008, 08:54 AM
I'm kinda at a loss as what to do,

........and at that moment, Teamw116 Queensland, was born. ;D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Quote from: oscar on 03 February 2008, 04:17 PM

X 2!

Do it up Mate, you know you wanna!!   8)

Team 116, Car #3!  Got a nice ring to it...  ;)

John Hubertz

Part it out.

Share with friends.

Pay it forward.

Love your cars and they will love you back - and allowing them to tithe when they pass into history is true love, as it takes effort - no joking here at all.

I'm 100% convinced that all things are part of reality, and reality has energy (evidence: atomic explosions).  While not necessarily sentient, our communion with all things - animals, people, cars, babies, family, furniture, etc... is a form of joining a team, and those things we love and unselfishly share become our teammates.

ALL your cars will benefit if you do this.  Try it.

(insane but right, on this one)

A photograph of my Mother, who taught me this truth:

One of the Popes (maybe John Paul?) said that deliberate waste insults God - and of course I'm a bit of a Papist  :)

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: SELfor50 on 03 February 2008, 06:28 PM
Quote from: oscar on 03 February 2008, 04:17 PM

X 2!

Do it up Mate, you know you wanna!!   8)

Team 116, Car #3!  Got a nice ring to it...  ;)

Not a bad idea y'know 116Benz, maybe chuck on a couple of turbos on the M110  8)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

116Benz

HMMMMMMM a 280SEL Clubsport.....Could be interesting, by the time I pull out all the non essential stuff, it should be alot quicker...