News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Datacard

Started by marku, 11 January 2012, 11:32 AM

marku

Just got a copy of the one for my 450. Didn't know you could still get them and so easy and free!. Only trouble is I need a tutorial in deciphering it. Anyone care to volunteer?
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Type17

'76 350SE in Silver-Green

marku

Thanks very much - says it all doesn't it? Pity no one has done it for the 116. Thanks again.

Type17

Well they're all the same for every MB model, only changing as the years went by and technology changed, rather than because of the model of the car. My '76 116 came with the three original data cards (see below), and they are the same as type four in the link above.

marku

Lucky you! I suppose that means one careful lady owner. My card is almost identical but lacks the MB star and the bottom two lines of type. It also has the registration date. Although my 450 started life on Park Lane, London over the years has seen a steady progression down market with the loss of anything removable. But it is a credit to MB quality in that much of everything else has survived intact although a bit worn and faded. I did get it as a long term project which is becoming more of a way of life and which I must say that I do not regret in any way.

Type17

One gentleman owner, from '76-'08. It's very original, but so nice that I only drive it to shows and around town in dry weather. Pics here: http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/1976-350se-in-silver-green/15/

It's also nice to have a car that you feel you can use  ;)

Have you put up any pics of yours yet?

marku

It really does you credit. Appreciate all the work despite its 'careful owner'. Take the point about seat belts. Again none in the rear of mine but the blanked off pillar. No I have not even taken a picture of it. As it is now unmovable and it will be quite some time before I get round to it. I really did not anticipate all the work on the engine but now that it is stripped I have given in to some detailing which is something I always said I would not do. My original intention was to have a car that I could enjoy and use  - the current danger is that the work is getting out of hand. I am determined to resist it but I keep falling for all the bright metal that keeps emerging from the muck.

Aren't we in danger of falling foul of the admin for not keeping on topic perhaps we should start a new one.

Type17

Quote from: marku on 13 January 2012, 12:57 PMAren't we in danger of falling foul of the admin for not keeping on topic perhaps we should start a new one.

Yeah, probably best practice, we'll leave this one here for future Datacard searches - most of the regulars on here have a thread about the work they are doing on their car - you can let everyone know how it's going, ask questions and put up photos, etc...

marku

Happy to continue the conversation elsewhere but back on topic - do you know the significance of the 2nd row numbers. Mine is broadly similar and what is the relevance of, in yours, the no1 in the 3rd row. Mine is no3.

Type17

The fields on the card which are labelled 40 to 68 are the option codes. The first two digits are printed on the card (e.g.: 61, refers to headlights) and the typed digit below refers to the type of option/headlights fitted to the individual vehicle, in my car's case, the 3 means headlights for RHD markets. Compare my card to the list below, which I compiled from the full list of potential options, which is here: http://www.w116.org/library/codes1

Notice that that the data card starts in the 4xx range, but my list (and the potential options list) start in the 0xx range - you may find more/less/different option codes on the body plate on the slam panel, beside the bonnet latch (see pic below). Also, in the fields to the right of the 68 field, there are random, unusual option codes - that's where the first two on my list came from.

286   Luggage nets on front seat backrests
320   Additional plate and rear bench seat stop for Great Britain
401   Separate front seats
420   Auto Transmission with floor selector
436   Elimination of front left and right automatic (self-reeling) safety belts
467   Central Locking and instruments with English lettering
524   Paintcoat Preservation
570   Front folding armrest W202 - housing at front with armrest
584   Electric window lifters (front and rear doors)
592   Green heat-insulating glass all round, heated rear window, laminated safety glass - tinted strip
613   Lamp unit asymmetrical, Left-hand traffic
631   First Aid box
666   10 litres of fuel and mode of packing VE II

The big 1 on my card indicates that it is the primary Datacard, and therefore has the number of the key on it (field no. 24) - the secondary one has a hole through it in that location, so that it can be shown to parts staff etc without revealing the key number (don't forget many MB's are owned by governments or other security-sensitive owners). With that in mind, the red text on the bottom of my card above (note 3) reminds owners that this is the primary data card with the key number and should not be left in the vehicle. Luckily, my car's original owner ignored it (or didn't read German!), so the card was still in the car when I got it.

marku

Thank you very much - very explicit. You have obviously made a great study of the subject! You should perhaps think of producing the definitive guide.

JasonP

My metal data card is smashed. I'm gonna have to unscrew it, peel it off, and decipher it like a Roman ruin.

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Type17

Quote from: marku on 15 January 2012, 11:39 AM
...You should perhaps think of producing the definitive guide.

I had some time today, so I did up a guide: http://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/w116-datacard-and-body-plate-info/ - feel free to suggest edits/additions.

marku

Yes a good start to a subject that seems deliberately set up to confuse!!  I will post a copy of the datacard if that will help.

Ilike300sd

Does anyone else have the metal "card" that came with the car?  My 79 300SD has two thick metal "cards" in with the owners manual, original epa slip etc.  It seems weird to me that these are metal.  They look similar to that metal stamped plate under the hood except that the left and right sides are not flat, they are wavy.  I think there are 1 or 2 metal key blanks in the same little plastic pouch but can't remember off the top of my head.