News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Cops & 116s

Started by sblakely, 10 January 2011, 12:18 PM

Neko

I can't say that the police give my car too much attention. Where I live, in Australia, police officers are more on the lookout for mid-80's to mid-90's Commodores, as they're cheap, fast and as a result, are what almost EVERY young person drives around here. I drive a white '77 280SE, so the police, according to my dad, just think, "Oh, here comes grandpa" and tend not to give it any second looks. I once got waved past a roadside drug test, even though I had a newly-bought bottle of whisky on my seat in plain view, and my P-plates displayed. They pulled the Commodore behind me over.

EDIT: I guess it also helps that I don't drive like the 'typical young person', which means rocket acceleration, dodgy risk-taking, etc. I don't like pushing my car too hard, so my acceleration is typically very slow, and while I do 'take risks' on the road, they're completely within my control and I know for a fact, aren't stupid for the sake of being stupid or impressive. I'm a safe driver, and I only know a few other people my age that are the same.

sblakely

Nice to see my post has sparked some interest.  I've been away from my w116 for a few months now... miss it dearly.

I guess if a car is rare in you're corner of the world, it's bound to spark interest from the fuzz.  In my area it's any car that's older than 20 years or so, as they salt the roads like it's the last winter on earth!

It's hard to ignore the attention I get from cops, parking enforcement and the like, If your car is recognizable in any way whatsoever people will notice and remember it, for good or bad.

scraf

Had just finished a rather long weeks work in Amsterdam yesterday, two cops on scooters tried to wave me over.

Ok, one of the the rear axles is making a horrendous noise ( getting fixed today )

My workmates said to me "The cops want you to stop".

My reply "They'll never catch us", and off we went.

:)

A lot of the motorways have been upgraded to 130 kmh over here just recently, will be saving quite a bit of dosh on speeding fines.

john6007

Quote from: scraf on 21 May 2011, 12:26 AM

My workmates said to me "The cops want you to stop".

My reply "They'll never catch us", and off we went.

Unfortunately it's not quite like that in Australia, we live in a nanny state here
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

scraf

... they were on a bicycle path, on 50 or so cc scooters, one stop light and I was on the ring road.

Didn't actually see them try and wave me down as it goes, was concentrating on changing lanes.

Tony66_au

Meh if they really wanted you they would have radioed on ahead and had you intercepted.

hey How long would it take to drive from one end of Holland to the other at 130kph Scraf?

Wouldn't be over an hour would it?

ZCarFan

Been pulled over once in Noth Georgia in my '80 300 SD.  Had a headlight and tailight out.  No ticket, officer just told me to fix it to avoid an accident.  Couldn't even shut off the engine as the vacuum line had failed.  Was actually a bit humorous, there by the side of the road clattering away.

Can't imagine a 116 being the target of suspicion, all of the vintage Mercedes I see around here are driven by distinctly non-threatening characters.  Empasis on "characters". :)

Casey

Been pulled over three times now in the 300SD, without getting any ticket.  But last night I received my third speeding ticket from dratted speed cameras.  Oh how I loathe them...

scraf

Quote from: Raptelan on 06 September 2011, 11:03 AM
....... last night I received my third speeding ticket from dratted speed cameras.  Oh how I loathe them...

Two words; "Tom" and "Tom".