News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Cops & 116s

Started by sblakely, 10 January 2011, 12:18 PM

TJ 450

Yep, I've been through a few of those lately. The last one involved a jocular conversation with regards to the 6.9... The constable thought it was quite a classic car.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

thysonsacclaim

QuoteEdit: Atrocious use of the English language.

Haha,. not so bad. English is atrocious anyway!

M110COUPE

Here in new Zealand, ive been driving my w116 for about two years now with bogus plates i pulled off a wreck, no registration or WOF.....and never been pulled over...very lucky...

Thats cheap motoring! 

I reckon my luck will run out soon so car is off the road while i fix exhaust leak, electric window etc and then get legal.

oscar

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 01 April 2011, 06:11 AM
here it doesn't matter who you are, you can and will be breath tested.

Not so much over this side.  I mean, I've gone through heaps without "lights" on going about other duties and have always been waved on.  It's not just me.  IMO there's tolerance for certain vehicles like some trucks, buses and taxis and other working vehicles that aren't the usual suspects when it comes to catching a DUI driver.  But I agree anyone could fall foul of the law, speed wise or by driving recklessly, let alone a crash, and once that occurs, along comes a mandatory breath test for sure no matter who or what you are.  But IMO an ambulance would make an ideal vehicle to smuggle drugs, people, weapons, even fruit  ::)  Yeah that's right, fruit.  I've never been pulled over for a vehicle search at one of the Fruit Fly Exclusion Zones check points out my way.  Mwahahaha!
1973 350SE, my first & fave

WGB

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 01 April 2011, 06:11 AM
here it doesn't matter who you are, you can and will be breath tested.

The following conversation actually occurred after a random stop on a country road while returning from a country lodge meeting ( dressed in tuxedo, white shirt and black bow tie) after he checked my drivers licence.

" Doctor Babe, I'm a patient of yours, breathe into this bag ".

As I don't drink and drive it didn't matter but he will get older and need a prostate check sometime .....

Bill

Big_Richard

Quote from: WGB on 09 April 2011, 07:08 PM

" Doctor Babe, I'm a patient of yours, breathe into this bag ".

As I don't drink and drive it didn't matter but he will get older and need a prostate check sometime .....

I'm living in hope, that by the time im of age for those checks a less invasive technique will have been developed - theres NO effing way im EVER gonna go thru that ::) I'm running out of time though..

koan

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 09 April 2011, 07:38 PM
I'm living in hope, that by the time im of age for those checks a less invasive technique will have been developed - theres NO effing way im EVER gonna go thru that ::) I'm running out of time though..

I've had a few bouts of kidney stones over the years but fortunately have always managed to pee them out. I absolutely dread the noninvasive removal technique.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

thysonsacclaim

Quote" Doctor Babe, I'm a patient of yours, breathe into this bag ".

Bill

Haha. Bill, this reminded me of an episode of House. He meets a patient, who happens to be a cop, in the clinic. The cop is somewhat of a jerk (much like House himself and many cops), so he is of course deserving of some passive-aggressive punishment. The cop is chewing on some nicotine gum, so Dr. House explains he must take his temperature ... rectally since food and friction from gum chewing can affect basal temperature. It was a pretty classic scene by Hugh Laurie imo.

Re drinking, they do road blocks in this area during Bike Week, Speed Week, Spring Break and all the other stuff that comes around. Generally, they try to block off any u-turn areas in the medians ... But if they haven't, you're sure to see dozens of cars making u-turns to avoid the road block and the breathalyzer if they seem suspect. I find those things annoying.

I don't know about taxis and buses here since we have few of either, but tractor-trailers are stopped quite a lot. A cop friend of mine works for FDOT, which mainly just patrols transport vehicles. Says there's a bit of a meth epidemic with some of those drivers seeing as they need to stay awake for so long. There was one recently that exploded on the high way; it was actually a mobile meth lab in the trailer.

And yes, Oscar, I think you've got the smuggler's dream-mobile. Get in a road block, just cut the lights on and act like you're off to some mishap  8)

KenM

Whoaa there Dr Bill, luckily I won't be around you if I ever need the finger up the date routine, my recipie for keeping on the right side of Mr Plod is to always carry my copy of the Police Commissioned Officers diary in a

prominent place in the car, since I sponsor the damn thing every year I get sent a copy of it, so figure I might as well put it to some good use. Haven't had to wave it casually directly hopefully under an officers nose yet,

fingers crossed.

Tony66_au

I got pulled over in my 450SE and the guy just wanted to have a look at the car as he was thinking of buying one.

I pointed him at a few forums and we chatted for 20 mins after which I let him have a quick drive, he has been back since to visit and seems keen as hell.

A comment on a non benz forum made me laugh though, a member stated "Nothing says I grow dope in my shed like a 70's Mercedes" lol

Casey

Not a W116 (yet!), but I've gotten loads of harassment in my W114 and W123's.  Most recently, I had a W124, which seemed immune from such things...for some reason the older ones aroused the most suspicion.

I even had a W123 impounded once (I was driving on a temporarily-revoked license over a speeding ticket), and since they would not allow taking it out of impound without insurance that I couldn't get with a revoked license, I lost the car to the state (Georgia).  A couple years ago another W123 was impounded for a parking violation when I was unemployed and I didn't have the money to get it out.  I just considered it a loss, but now they've put a $5000 debt on my credit report over it.  WTF California...

Mostly though I just got pulled over a whole bunch when driving my W114 240D, which was perfectly legal every time.  I never got tickets in that car, but probably got pulled over 10 times in 3 years in Georgia and Washington state.

powerglide

... as I posted a while back, it's where you are that does it. I'm gonna be in MD in a couple of weeks, and it will be taxis all the way. Not so bad out west, but Dixie is bad news for folks that like to DRIVE. The place to drive a W116 at will is ...

:-)
Powerglide

scraf

Tony66_au

And Australia.

Although the Northern Territory road are now limited to 130 Kph.

Thing is I regularly find space to wind my Wagon up to 100 Mph, and I suspect it will be the same in the 450's...........

thysonsacclaim

Tony,

That quote about the shed is great! First week of having the car I got pulled over for a dim rear light. First thing he says is "is this your car?"

Around here, dealers drive one of two things: retired police interceptors or 70s hoopdies etc. Generally dark windows and bling jobs (bright paint, spin rims, etc).

I'm fairly certain in my car (being gold) and with my devastatingly dark windows, I'll get pulled over a bunch. Dark windows alone make you a target tbh.

Adam