News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

considering a 300SD

Started by Freiheit, 07 September 2006, 03:01 PM

Freiheit

Well I went to my Benz guy and had a look and a drive of a 280SE. The price is spot on, the car is in good shape, and I'm happy with how it drives  but not thrilled. It is a 26 year old 6 cylinder pushing around 4000 lbs of steel.

The seller also has a 300SD (still a w116 chassis I think) for sale. That car is in fantastic shape, but is $1500 (USD) more than I wanted to spend. Right now I'm considering the balance between a 280SE that doesn't excite and needs some fiddling (valve adjust, detailing, stereo, detailing, window greasing, detailing) and a 300SD that I won't have to touch one bit.

Can anyone offer an opinion and guidance to help me make a decision?

How will the 300SD behave in a cold midwestern US winter?

alabbasi

Thats a good price, if your not interested let me know  ;)
The 300SD isnt going to have the same poke as the 280SE but your going to get better mileage and can run it on bio diesel for about 80c/gallon.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

dizzyD

If the diesel has a block heater, you should not have very many issues getting her to run in winter, My 1980 300SD,  in california, will barely start in the coldest days, ~45-50d F. My problem is probably in the glow plugs or relay, I've recently installed these, but have not had a cold day in a while, waiting for winter to test the new stuff. She starts up with no problems on 60d F days. Same before and after the install.

Quote from: dizzyD on 08 September 2006, 10:34 AM
My 1980 300SD,  in california, will barely start in the coldest days, ~45-50d F.

Wow, that's rather warm to be having such trouble...

My limited experience with the cold starting ability of the OM617, is that as long as the plugs and the wiring are ok, it won't be a problem to start it in the winter, down to at least 20F...with the OM617 I started having problems with, the multimeter gave a very strange reading when I checked for continuity on the No. 1 glow plug, and it needed the block heater plugged in to start below freezing.  But that's just my limited OM617 experience, even if not of great value.

dizzyD

Wow, that's rather warm to be having such trouble...

That's what I thought, I have not disected the glow plug relay, nor did I test it, just plain swapped out old to new, I haven't have a cold day yet to try my fix. I probably won't find out until January.

On a side note, we've had so much heat here this summer that one off my michitlens blew a cord in the tread, glad I caught it b4 I had a blow out.

michaeld

Freiheit,

You don't mention the prices of the two cars, but from my own research the 300SD is a far more valuable car on today's market than ANY of the 116s, including the 6.9!  If you have an opportunity to get a 300SD at a good price, take it.  The 5 cylinder 300SD aint no racehorse, true; but that 280SE aint going to be winning at the dragstrip, either.

Diesels offer: 1) considerably better mileage in an era of sky-high gas prices; 2) durability and longevity; 3) easier maintenance.

On the negative side is: less horespower/acceleration, more noise/vibration, and more difficult cold starts.

Ultimately, I think there are two types of people: dieselers and gassers.  It's part hair vs. tortoise thing, and part engineer vs. playboy thing.  You kind of have to decide what kind of person you are, and get the car that matches your personality best (300SD or 280SE).

That's my humble opinion, anyway.

Good luck,
Mike

sandpiper

Quote from: michaeld on 10 September 2006, 12:59 AM
You don't mention the prices of the two cars, but from my own research the 300SD is a far more valuable car on today's market than ANY of the 116s, including the 6.9!  If you have an opportunity to get a 300SD at a good price, take it.

I too am looking for a diesel W116, and am a newbie. What's a good price to pay, or how much are they going for now? Thanks!

but that 280SE aint going to be winning at the dragstrip, either.

Hey, are you talking smack about my hemi-engined 280SE, Michaeld?  :P ;D :D
Since your 450 is US, I might even be able to give it a run for it's money  :P

But I'm sure you know I'm just playing with you...

Ultimately, I think there are two types of people: dieselers and gassers.

Hmm, I must be an anomaly, then, owning a 280SE and a 220D.

Sandpiper, assuming you're in the US, I wouldn't breach the $3,000 mark for one unless it's outstanding. What is a good price is all about condition.  An outstanding one might bring $5,000-$8,500.  Gents, feel free to chime in if I'm off base here.

Freiheit

I've decided that in my current fiscal situation I need to stick to what I know, get a job, and save my pennies for a year then get a nicer Benz.

If you're interested in the 280SE or 300SD Ive been asking about email me at [jbartels AT kent.edu] and I will put you in touch with my Benz guy (Aaron at MB Classic near Cincinnati). He has been very good to me and though I can't repay him by buying a car I can at least send some buisness his way.