News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

column shift

Started by Des, 20 February 2007, 02:36 AM

Des

thanks for that link Oscar, hadn't seen that one before

look at this, this is what mine would look like, dressed up with the front spoiler and wheels!

oscar

Des, I went 116 googling last night, it's interesting what comes up.  I checked out a few German sites but hadn't seen this one before either.

It never occured to me that pic was your colour.  It looks fantastic doesn't it.

Does this mean you changed your mind on keeping the AMG items? :)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

OzBenzHead

Quote from: Des on 21 February 2007, 05:20 AMi would not fly swastikas from my car

If you reversed them so that the arms flowed backwards they would not be Nazi emblems at all, but rather ancient Hindu, Jain, and Buddhist symbols for - amongst other things - peace, prosperity, and good luck. It has even appeared on US government propaganda, Native American items, and elsewhere in other cultures! Herr Schikelgrueber merely appropriated it.  See http://www.reclaimtheswastika.com/photos/ for more info.

I believe that the 'other' flag on Hans' blue 116 may be that of the city of Bremen; the car used to be that city's mayor's car.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Des

Quote from: oscar on 23 February 2007, 06:31 PM

Does this mean you changed your mind on keeping the AMG items? :)

yep that's correct.

Would anyone out there with access to MB parts catalogs be able to give us the genuine part numbers for the flag poles please?

oscar

That's an interesting link OBH.  I knew the nazi swastika was "borrowed" but didn't know how common it was.  It's an unfortunate truth that regardless of it's origins, the swastika symbol and its variations will forever be remembered for all the wrong reasons.  Pity copyright laws weren't tested back then. :-\

Quote from: Des on 24 February 2007, 02:55 AM
Would anyone out there with access to MB parts catalogs be able to give us the genuine part numbers for the flag poles please?
Des,
Was greg's link any help?  They don't look the same.  Actually, those ones look ugly. Sorry Greg. :( http://www.car-flags.eu/original-mercedes-flag-holder-p-820.html.

It appears the chrome ones in all the examples people have posted look the same and are more dignified. 

Des

Quote from: oscar on 24 February 2007, 03:35 AM

It appears the chrome ones in all the examples people have posted look the same and are more dignified. 

agreed yes, I like the style you posted above on the blue car, looks like a base that could be setup with a magnet, would want to drill holes in my car.

OzBenzHead

There was a flagpole discussion on the Ozbenz forum not that long ago, but I can't find it now on a quick search. John Green (MB Spares) claimed to have some in stock or available/obtainable.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

oscar

Quote from: OzBenzHead on 24 February 2007, 05:53 PM
There was a flagpole discussion on the Ozbenz forum not that long ago, but I can't find it now on a quick search. John Green (MB Spares) claimed to have some in stock or available/obtainable.

I'll be at MBSpares on Monday (today) ::) or Tuesday and inquire about them.  I hope they're the same.  I don't think the 350 needs them but it sounds like there's enough interest here to clear out John's stock.

Des

Oscar that would be great thanks, if you have a digital camera and could get us a picture, or two that would be appreciated, I know if he has them they would be in a box or wrapped up, but just an idea of what he has would be nice. thanks

Brian Crump

I've got to have one - just the thing for flying the Banjospitz flag at a dog show!!! Just a little brag - Australian Champion Banjospitz Southern Bea won Best of Breed at the Canberra Royal on Saturday.
Bea is suggesting I get one with her picture!!!
BC

gregdeklerk

I have got to have one even more than the LHS mirror. Please Oscar please!! I can fly the South African flag and pretent I am a presidential want to be!!

Greg

gregdeklerk

By the way guys, you will find the official flag pole for the 116 in the 126 section of the EPC. For some reason it is not listed in the 116 section!!

Greg

oscar

Hi people, I'm back.

Mixed news on the flag holder.  Not the same as the ones in the pics above.  John said those are like a two piece arrangement whereby the round chrome plate is permanently attached to the side of the front fenders (holes are drilled or cutout).  The flagholder itself has a rod at the end 90o to the flag.  The holder's rod is inserted into the chromeplate and then rotated upwards to fix it in position. Kind of like a bayonet fitting I'd imagine.

The type that John has is like my crude drawing below.  It was raining and I never thought about asking about a photo sorry.  It's meant for a later model I think but looked pretty good on the crayford wagon IMO ;D. It's high quality, solid, thick and of course luverly chrome finish.  To attach, you lift the bonnet/hood and screw it thru the holes to the fender.  Much like how tall CB antennas are attached.  You could possibly get away without drilling srew holes by using just one fender bolt as it fits snug against the fender.  John just held it in place and closed the hood.  The angles of the end of the bracket and the bevel of the bend in the holder's bracket matched the 116 curves and results in the flagholder standing upright. The only problem with this particular type of holder is it may sit a little high.  A matter of perception.  The bevel in the 90o bend in the holder's bracket parallels the fender but is separated by 20mm perhaps.  That may be intentional, I don't know. Since the bracket is very thick, one would have to make sure the hood isn't off centre so it doesn't make contact when closing.

A very nice flag holder, not sure of price, didn't ask sorry.  The tapered pole and the ball on top really show it off.  Any q's just ask although I probably didn't ask enough q's whilst I was there.  If you're interested in one contact John at MBSpares Actually, don't know how many he's got or even if they're for sale.  :D  Asking can't hurt I suppose.

oscar

Yeah I know,

At first I thought, because it wasn't the one people were after you guys wouldn't be interested.  But whilst looking at it on the 116 wagon I liked it.  It was only after we left I thought to myself - I wouldn't really want to drill holes in the side of the fender to have the other holders.  Unless I had a collectable black 6.9 for show purposes only. 

These bracket ones can be easily removed and reattached and can't be stolen unless the bonnet was open.  They'd be ideal for attending events or going on a group drive (or just showing off).  They're top quality and look great and I can't imagine they would be cheap.  But we drive Mercedes, who cares about cost ;D  They're not exactly clearance items and as I said, I'm not 100% sure they're for sale.

Can you imagine us in a speeding 116 motorcade with say the Gleaming Beauty up front with two flags.  Not sure what type of flags.  Two tie-dyed T-shirts will do.  We'd be going too fast for anyone to notice what was printed on them.

Mforcer

Keep going Oscar... I think you are convincing me! ;)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200