News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Column-auto 116s

Started by 13B, 05 October 2007, 05:22 AM

13B

Someone was mentioning in the valuable W116 thread that they'd never heard of a column-auto car, and the general consensus seems to be that they are a commerical / poverty pack choice.  Welp, found this today its a '73 450SEL and there are some good pictures if you have the patience for them to all download you can see the steering column with selector, the different console those cars had, and in the very last picture you can see the dashboard PRNDSL decal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-400-Series-1973-MBZ-450-SEL-LOADED-RUNS-GOOD-CLEAN-NO-RESERVE-CA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6331QQihZ015QQitemZ250171315244QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Ian.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

CraigS

I hope the oil pressure gauge is faulty !
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

Martin 280s

Pinstrips and a stepped dash, now there's an uncommon thing!

116Benz

Theres something about the seats...I cant put my finger on it, but its that their either really overpadded on the backrest or they're part of the early year cars, is there a horizontal indent on the wood on the dash as well or is it an optical illusion?

Martin 280s

116Benz, Have a look at the light switch, it also seems to be different. I think this is a really early car. This car does need some Tender Loving Care! I wish i could give it!

116Benz

Yeah, light switch is upside down the seats look a bit more 108/109 than 116...I thought the crease in the wood was an urban myth.

Martin 280s

Quote from: 116Benz on 05 October 2007, 08:29 AM
Yeah, light switch is upside down the seats look a bit more 108/109 than 116...I thought the crease in the wood was an urban myth.

I was actually referring to the position of the dial and the switches below it. Are they for the foglights?

Martin 280s

Just one more thing, this car's got carpeted bolsters, weren't thye available from '76 on? BTW, My car's a late (Sept/Oct) '75 build but '76 delivery and doesn't have them.

116Benz

Quote from: Martin 280s on 05 October 2007, 09:07 AM
Quote from: 116Benz on 05 October 2007, 08:29 AM

I was actually referring to the position of the dial and the switches below it. Are they for the foglights?

The only one I could see was the combo switch for the wipers and indicators...that looks like its under the lights..could that be it?

The carpeted bolster was a 450 thing, from word go, the rest had plastic.

oscar

I like this car.  It's got potential written all over it and it wont wash off.  I don't know if I could get use to a column shift though.

Martin, that wood is exactly like my 73 350 with the indent.  Even though my wrecks have straight wood, I used to think the indent was the norm.  The seats look just like mine too except my rear seat's padding has collapsed.  Maybe these have been repadded but you'll notice the headrests have collapsed too.  Just like mine were but recently fixed by Parks.  My front passenger seat especially looks no different to the front passenger seat pictured. 

The ad says leather upholstery which I'd say it's not.  Another seller fooled by MB Tex quality.  Hope I'm not wrong but you don't get 30yr old leather whithout crease marks.  My concern with the car would be the driver's footwell.  Kinda looks water damaged and the seller knows bugger all about the car as they say the car was donated.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

116Benz

Theres heaps of potential in that car, and yes the drivers footwell looks water damaged, I've never really paid attention to the wood on W116's other than to know what goes where and which model had what. I did hear there was a crease in the 1st 2 years production, I had never seen it untill now.

Makes you wonder who would order a column shifter, on a 450SEL when new...

s class

I believe the seats are correct.  The very early 116's here had the pleats in basket-weave (aka 109) print rather than the diamond pattern that the vast majority of 116's have.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

116Benz

Versus

It's the curve of the backrest! Now that I've put them side by side, I can see the difference.

Back

Versus

Martin 280s

116 Benz, is that the interior of the SEL? Lots of love needed there! How can anyone (previous owner) neglect a car like that?

116Benz

I know, I was thinking about photohopping the shitty stains, but theres pics tomorrow of how far ahead ive gone with the interior...the headlining is the next thing on the list of cleaning