Main Menu

Clean engines

Started by Nutz, 29 March 2007, 04:39 AM

Nutz

:o Someone needs a girlfriend  ;D

Martin 280s

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 29 March 2007, 04:43 AM
they sure look beautiful

one can only imagine what all the engines in W116's looked like new. the use of shiny gold coloured metal is in abundance in all engine bays- its just covered with corrosion and grime.

They do look good, the owners don't need girlfriends...after doing that to the engine do they have anymore love to give?

But, I do agree with Patrick...they won't stay so shiny for so long. 

Mforcer

It is admirable as to the work that went into those engines. I often think about doing that to my engine but realise 'out of sight, out of mind' is all too easy once the bonnet is closed. Perhaps if I spent more time under the bonnet getting my hands dirty...
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

oscar

We'll have to start a clean v8 thread.  I'll start.

They're great pics nutz.  I love a clean engine and can honestly see my 280 getting more attention and reaching the new look.  Well I hope so.  I tried to clean and polish up my holley carb when I took it off the 280.  what a PITA job.  It looks cleaner, but not new by any means.  Boy it must take some elbow grease to remove every bit of oil, dirt and corrosion from an engine bay.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

oscar

Here you go Michel ;D Some pics of a rebuilt m116.  I wish they were bigger.  I wish it was mine.   Sold for about 3,500+ euros in Germany on ebay last year.  M116 d jet

And another one I have no idea who posted these or why it's on display. M116 d jet

A k-jet M117?? I think

Mforcer

They look good :)

Not to derail this thread so early (I am not going to be cleaning my engine any time soon :P) are they the stock exhaust headers on that k-jet M117 (500 or 560?)? Would they offer any benefits to the older M117 such as the 450?
Michael
2006 B200

koan

What I find a bit odd is the polished up M-Bs for sale on ebay and elsewhere, the exteriors are all gleaming chrome and paint, the interiors look like new, then you get to engine compartment shot and it is absolutely filthy, like it's not been opened in the last 30 years - hardly a selling point.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Nutz

Quote from: oscar on 29 March 2007, 07:44 PM.

A k-jet M117?? I think

A KE Jet to be exact.
Black fuel distributor = K Jet
Metallic colored fuel distributor = KE Jet

oscar

Quote from: Nutz on 29 March 2007, 11:28 PM
A KE Jet to be exact.
Black fuel distributor = K Jet
Metallic colored fuel distributor = KE Jet

Does that mean it's from a 126 nutz??  What size would you guess this is??  420?? Things I noticed the Auto Trans is different to the other two engines above and leaves me thinking it's a real 4spd and what's it's suitability for a W116 V8 engine?

And the headers - as mforcer noticed.   They're different and look tuned, sort of, in comparison.

Quote from: koan on 29 March 2007, 09:55 PM

What I find a bit odd is the polished up M-Bs for sale on ebay and elsewhere, the exteriors are all gleaming chrome and paint, the interiors look like new, then you get to engine compartment shot and it is absolutely filthy, like it's not been opened in the last 30 years - hardly a selling point.

koan

I agree.  It's disappointing when people don't show the engine bay off as well.  Makes you think the underside is unkept.

gregdeklerk

Quote from: koan on 29 March 2007, 09:55 PM

koan

I have noticed some people have no idea how to present a car when they want to sell it! All that is needed is to clean the car. It is so easy to steam clean the engine bay.

Greg

Mforcer

Quote from: oscar on 30 March 2007, 12:45 AM
Things I noticed the Auto Trans is different to the other two engines above and leaves me thinking it's a real 4spd and what's it's suitability for a W116 V8 engine?

I believe that the 126 auto transmissions have the same top gearing ratio and so would offer no major benefit. The older 3-speed as we have is meant to be more reliable too (at least not less reliable). Otherwise that is one change I would have made already.
Michael
2006 B200

john skene

The ratios are very similar for the 116 and the 126, except that the 126 4 speed has a much lower 1st gear, 3.68:1 compared to 2.3:1 for the 116. I think this is to help with the higher rear axle ratio of 2.82 for the 126, cf with the 3.07 for the 116.

The torque converter also has a higher multiplication factor of 2.5 to help with its higher first gear (3.2:1) cf the 126 converters 1.9 and lower (3.68:1) first gear.

In other words the 4 speed in the 116 would help you move off only fractionally faster as it normally takes off in 2nd gear, but if you used the diff from a 126 as well, you would get fractionally better acceleration performance when required, plus better economy.

bahnstormer109

theyre fantastic! i love the black one.

i love the M110. my next car will probably either a 123 280CE or a 126 280SE.

(and probably at the expense of the 450SEL, unless i can find myself a really big shed sometime soon)

but this will be a few years off, so dont flood me with offers for the 450 just yet  :P

no, im retracting that mindless statement. i just took the 450 for a spin and gave it a boot full to clear out the city driving cobwebs. what? yeah, yeah ok, fine, a FEW boot fulls.

its just beautiful. looks like ill just have to find the extra space for a 280CE...
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

bahnstormer109

with the water restrictions here in brisbane at the moment, by the 10th april we wont be allowed to wash a car with a bucket let alone hose down the motor!
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

s class

I'm starting a new thread about car storage

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL