News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Casey's 1977 450SEL

Started by Casey, 11 December 2011, 01:11 AM

Casey

So I bought a nickel green metallic 1977 450SEL.

It has seat heaters, front and rear.
It has rear headrests.
It has lumbar supports in the seats with the straps on the back.
It has a euro warning triangle installed in the trunk.
It does *not* have a first aid kit or any place for one.
It has significantly more power than my 1974 450SE, even with the heavier chassis.
It has this grille badge:

So I was thinking to myself "is this a euro model?" 

But option code 491 indicates that it is indeed a US version.

More interestingly, option code 991 indicates that it had AMG equipment installed at AMG.  Could that be correct?  It does not have AMG badging, steering wheel, or body options.  It does have a Bosel exhaust from an AMG model W116 but that was salvaged from a scrapyard.  The engine has quite a different sound than the 450SE (not as low of a rumble) and I was thinking it must be higher compression...what/where would AMG equipment be if it's there?

Furthermore it does not have any option codes for the warning triangle, lumbar supports, rear headrests, or lack of first aid kit as far as I can tell.

Here's the option plate:

Squiggle Dog

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Casey

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 11 December 2011, 01:50 AM
You made a good purchase!

Yeah, I think so.  It's going to take rather a lot of work to get to where I want it, but at least I've got a LWB chassis with a pretty small amount of rust to start with, and some neat options. :)

Big_Richard

Casey

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 11 December 2011, 02:52 AM
Any chance of a picture of these lumbar supports ? I've never seen them before

Here's another W116 with them:

Casey

koan

Here's some options from the library, a couple of them agree with what's on the plate!

430     HEADRESTS IN THE REAR
431     HEADRESTS IN THE REAR, REAR LEFT AND RIGHT AUTOMATIC (SELF-REELING) SAFETY BELTS, AND CENTRAL
          MECHANICAL LAP-TYPE BELT
433     HEADRESTS IN THE REAR, LEFT AND RIGHT AUTOMATIC (SELF-REELING) SAFETY BELTS`
878     HEADREST IN THE REAR, LEFT AND RIGHT
881     HEADREST IN THE REAR, LEFT AND RIGHT

630     E.C.E. WARNING TRIANGLE
633     WARNING TRIANGLE
634     ELIMINATION OF FIRST AID BOX
634     WARNING TRIANGLE AND RADIAL-PLY TIRES
635     WARNING TRIANGLE AND FIRST-AID BOX

288     MULTIPLE CONTOUR BACKREST FOR LEFT AND RIGHT REAR SINGLE SEATS
289     MULTIPLE CONTOUR BACKREST FOR RIGHT REAR SINGLE SEAT
404     ORTHOPAEDIC FRONT SEAT BACKREST, LEFT
405     ORTHOPAEDIC FRONT SEAT BACKREST, RIGHT

870     ELECTRIC SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT FRONT SEAT
871     ELECTRIC SEAT HEATER FOR RIGHT FRONT SEAT

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

1980sdga

Are you going to diesel her?   I would like to see some pics of a LWB vs. a standard. D@mned if I can spot them easily...

Nice find!  No mention of bumpers...

TJ 450

European Delivery Program means the car was probably built to USA spec, but delivered to the customer in Germany. They would drive around Europe, then ship the car over to the US.

Very nice find though, and a quick look under the hood will tell you whether it is a Euro engine... Look for the Oil cooler and no EGR/Catalyst among other things.

You've gotta love the rare options.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

KenM

Nice find Casey, great colour too. I think the option code 991 refers to special requests the purchaser wanted, could be all sorts of things and you would need further documentation to work out what was included. Not necessarily only for AMG options though.

Mforcer

Very nice find with some rare options. Well done! :)

I also don't think that option code 991 referred to "AMG EQUIPMENT INSTALLED AT AMG (SEE PRODUCTION ORDER I)" at the time our cars were made. According to the Library, option code 991 also referred to "FOR FURTHER CODED SPECIAL VERSIONS, SEE PRODUCTION ORDER I" and I have no idea what that specifically means but likely covers anything not otherwise listed on your option plate.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

WGB

I believe S class has a car with AMG fittings and a "991" code.

My car has a "992" code which is removal from the line for fitting of special equipment viz - Electric reclining rear seat.

Bill

jbrasile

Casey, I agree that code 991 is probably for "special order items" the original owner wanted.

All the options you list were available on US cars but rare.

I would bet the rear parcel shelf or it's carpet was replaced at some point because all cars had the first aid kit compartment installed wether they came with a kit or not.

Car has climate control right? That would make it lean more towards a US spec Euro delivered car.

CIS cars do have a different engine note when compared to D-Jet, if it is indeed a US spec 450 you don't  have a high compression engine unfortunately.

Tks,

Joe

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 11 December 2011, 12:06 PM
Are you going to diesel her?   I would like to see some pics of a LWB vs. a standard. D@mned if I can spot them easily...

If I am ambitious enough yes, that's the idea, along with building a 450CE... B)

Casey

Quote from: WGB on 11 December 2011, 06:19 PM
My car has a "992" code which is removal from the line for fitting of special equipment viz - Electric reclining rear seat.

On a W116?  I would *LOVE* to buy that seat/workings if you're inclined to sell. :)