News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Best parking spot in Stuttgart

Started by ptashek, 04 June 2019, 12:18 PM

ptashek

There's also a fantastic technology museum near Stuttgart, in Sinsheim and Speyr.
Sinsheim has two original Mercs driven by the heads of the Nazi regime - Hitler's and Himmlers armoured parade cars, and a vast collections of other Benzes, Maybachs, military gear and - the only museum on the globe to have both - the Concorde and TU-144, which you can see from the inside.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

rumb

The Sinsheim museum is not to be missed.  An excellent museum.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Mick74

I'd love to visit the museum in Sinsheim, but I don't know if we can make it on this trip. Always an excuse for another road trip next year!
The car is averaging 16.5mpg (4.55 litres per gallon) with 4 on board and a full boot. We'll see if that improves a tad, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I had a great chat for over an hour with a Belgian enthusiast today in a car park. He was driving a bus of school children on a tour and saw me pull in, so he came over for a chat. We swapped stories and photos of our various experiences. He has an '86 500SEC and a '92 300SL-24.

I'll certainly post some photos from Stuttgart, especially if I get a great parking spot like Ptashek did!

It is a sobering trip though. We started in the Somme valley and travelled up to the Ypres Salient. We were in Tyne Cot cemetery, near Ypres, today. It holds the graves of nearly 12,000 men, 8300 of them unknown and a further 35,000 names who have no known grave. It is a beautiful, dignified place, but sad and humbling at the same time. The personal epitaphs from loved ones are particularly poignant. Part of our reason for this trip is to remember the Irish men who fought in WW1, nearly a quarter of whom never came home. Because of the prevailing political situation and feeling in Southern Ireland at the time, these men and the survivors were deliberately forgotton and never spoken about for decades. The attached photo is from Ginchy, France, which the Irish 16th Division captured on September 9th, 1916
1979 6.9 #6475

revilla

Thanks Lucas for the tip on the parking spot. The museum lady who we asked didn't hesitate a second to approve.

We're back after 2000kms with nothing serious to report. The car behave wonderfully including a short speed ride on the Autobahn.

The museum was great but the visit to the Sindelfingen assembly plant (same where my car was "born") was outstanding. Our guide was well documented, good English and funny. We were a few meters from where the cars were being assembled/tested. Other than the std rule of no cameras, there was full transparency on the manufacturing process.

Highly recommended!