News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Are W126's better than W116's?

Started by Nutz, 13 December 2006, 07:45 PM

carl888

Quote from: robertd on 30 December 2006, 05:10 PM
Hi guys,
I have previously posted information that I think answers this question.
The two 6.9's I own have the following speedo/tacho combinations
1977 Euro (High compression engine) gear markings 95,150. Redline 5000
1979 Oz    ( with anti pollution crap)     "      "        105,170.    "       5300
I read somewhere that to compensate for the lose of power on engines with the anti-pollution gear, the engines were tuned to produce their peak power at higher revs.
This would explain the anomoly.
Regards Robert

Hi Robert,

Happy New Year to you and all w116's.  Hmmm, that's interesting, because the gearing is the same for the EU and Australian cars.  So the red line marks are different on your two 6.9's?  As the 6.9 seems willing to pull to the red line in top, that makes the Australian version the fastest?  Seems odd. 

Are you around in January?  I'd like to make a trip to see you!

Regards,

Carl.

oscar

Quote from: Carl Jones on 21 December 2006, 12:33 AM
The 126 is significantly better in terms of noise insulation and having a much lower Cd and Cx over the 116 allows superior fuel consumption figures, not to mention top speeds. 

Hi Carl,

Throwing a quote in from the first page.  Firstly "ill -informed" Absolutely  :D  I'll admit, W116 bias and prejudice against other MB variants is a developing trait in me ;D I can't help it.  It would be entertaining to see the comments on the same topic in a W126 forum.

Nonetheless, I was reading over this thread again for some info and wondered what "Cd and Cx" means?
Cheers,
Simon
1973 350SE, my first & fave

carl888

Hi Simon,

The Cx and Cd are really the same thing, the coefficient of drag, the Americans tend to use Cd, the Europeans Cx.  This is quite a good blurb about aerodynamics, have a read here:

http://www.citroen.mb.ca/cItROeNet/miscellaneous/aero/aero01.html

Regards,

Carl.

robertd

G'Day Carl,
I am on annual leave for the next couple of weeks, with some sort day trips here and there. It would be great to catch up, I look forward to hearing from you. I'd better go and tidy the shed.
Regards Robert
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

oscar

Thanks Carl, that's a great in depth article and a great read even if the formulas go over my head.  Disregarding the concept cars, it's amazing  how production cars follow a trend, bring out something that you'd think can't be streamlined any further, yet the next model they do.  I posted a picture a long while back of a beautiful Citroen DS near Tocumwal that was on a drive with other Citroens.  Sometimes I see new cars designed with aerodynamics in mind that seem to sacrifice looks.  The DS IMO is one of those older cars that retains style and still achieves an aerodynamic design.  It's interesting to see the lengths the manufacturers will go to to determine drag.  I also learned a new term for spoilers - corrective adjuncts!

Robertd, I was just catching up on newer photos on the gallery and saw your shed and cars.  Very, very nice. :) Have you typed a complete list of cars elsewhere that I've missed? Just curious on what the 108/109's are and the stripped 116. Cheers.
1973 350SE, my first & fave