Anyone know this Australian 450 SEL for sale in Northern NSW?

Started by carl888, 25 July 2006, 04:39 AM

carl888

I've been keeping an eye on this ad for a while and just emailed the seller for more info.  Question, does anyone know this car at all?  Just like to find out as much as possible before I make the effort to check it out.

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2486850

Regards,

Carl.

oscar

Carl, I thought you already took the plunge.  Are you still looking?  I haven't got any suggestions as I think everything I've seen you've seen too.  However I do like that red with cream and lambswool interior 450se in Harkaway, Vic. http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=3082890&current_rec=3&used_rec=1&total_rec=9&sort_type=&total_rec=9&sort_type=&make_id=12&model_id=460  Shame there's no pic of the dash. 

I agree with BigR as far as doing a car up.  I'd rather buy a cheapy and do the work rather than relying on reciepts to prove what has been done by mechanics I don't know.  For that sort of price I'd expect a fully optioned 450sel, even a 6.9.  From memory it's missing a few things that some 280sel's have.   He does say he's willing to drop the price though.  The story does make it a unique 450.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

oscar

Yeah, I had a rethink about how much my 350's costing after I posted that.  About 2 years ownership, $4000 in repairs, not including the bits and pieces collected along the way. 
Just the spoiler, 3 steering wheels, becker radio, 5 bottles of hydraulic oil and chrome arches total another $1200.  Plus there's more replacement parts, bumpers, grill, lights etc

Now, considering I need a bare metal respray,  upholstery all seats, windsceen, front bushes, AT serviced, all door and glass rubbers replaced....  We're looking at one expensive 116. Boy,,,,what to say. 

I'm a tool!   :D :D :D

Ha! Seriously though, I love my car.  I'm not loaded but I'd never sell to cut my losses, so to speak, to get another.
Let me just say that picking a cheap fixer-upper is an art form.  So too, finding the best value for money at any level of finish. 

Carl, any response from the seller?  With its awards someone should know what it's like.  Perhaps you should try posting on the NSW MB club site forum.  There's bound to be someone there that knows the car or actually awarded the trophies.

carl888

Quote from: oscar on 28 July 2006, 03:12 AM
Carl, I thought you already took the plunge.  Are you still looking?  I haven't got any suggestions as I think everything I've seen you've seen too.  However I do like that red with cream and lambswool interior 450se in Harkaway, Vic. http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=3082890&current_rec=3&used_rec=1&total_rec=9&sort_type=&total_rec=9&sort_type=&make_id=12&model_id=460  Shame there's no pic of the dash. 

I agree with BigR as far as doing a car up.  I'd rather buy a cheapy and do the work rather than relying on reciepts to prove what has been done by mechanics I don't know.  For that sort of price I'd expect a fully optioned 450sel, even a 6.9.  From memory it's missing a few things that some 280sel's have.   He does say he's willing to drop the price though.  The story does make it a unique 450.

Hi Oscar,

Thanks for the note, and no, I don't have a car yet.  Also, I just don't like red cars, although I suffer the misfortune of having two already I couldn't possibly entertain the notion of a third.

I understand completely what you say about a car that you can play with.  My situation is that I would like a car that's ready to go pretty much, save for possible some deferred maintenace issues.  The reason, I now have three automotive projects on the run at once.  One car I am re-building the transmission, the other, the engine and transmission, the third is a ground up restoration.  I do all my own work on my cars so as I'm working full time, I just can't see myself attending to another project, that simple!  Having said that, I would be only too happy to have a project if it were my only car.

No response from the seller BTW, which doesn't surprise me.  These w116 sellers seem a pretty unmotivated lot I have to say.  Thanks for the tip about the MBCNSW forum, I'll have a look now.

I had to laugh about Styria's comments about rusty 107's.  Golly I've seen a lot, much more so than 116's for some reason and a bad one will finacially bury you. 

Regards,

Carl.

Cletus

Bit off topic but kinda related, I'm about to have a look at a 1979 450SEL to buy and am wondering what things to look for when inspecting the car. Do they have any faults with age that I should look out for? It has done around 147000 miles.

Cheers

Cletus

Thanks for the reply.

I've been interested in the W116 for some time now after seeing the 6.9 in Ronin, but not seriously looking at one till I saw this advertised on a notice board at the local supermarket. This is relatively cheap ($2500) and with fuel prices the 6.9 is a bit absurd to own for a 21yo on not-very-much-at-all a year. It won't be a daily driver for me, and will be kept undercover as much as possible.

I went and saw it this arvo, and it's in decent nick. The only rust is a small amount in the lip of the bonnet. The driver's side window doesn't work, which is a hassle but i'm willing to put up with it. The dash is perfect, but the lighting of the instruments is dodgy, and pretty hard to fix from what I've heard. The other problem is the lack of a decent mechanic for Euro cars where I am (smack back in between Cairns and Townsville), and I may have to rely on the RACQ for doing the check.

Geez it goes like a rocket though when you strech its legs...

oscar

Hi cletus,

This car sounds interesting.  Is it a 6.9L or 4.5L, or have I misread what you've posted?  Sounds pretty cheap for a 6.9 but then again, there's an absolute bomb of a 6.9 I see occasionally where I live and I'm just waiting to one day see it advertised on the side of the road so I can put in an offer.  Judging by its looks there's no way I'd go over $2.5k.  It'd be one that I'd put away for another day.

I sympathise with your distance to a decent mechanic.  My closest (non-dealership) merc mechanic is 200km away.  I don't know how RACQ would assess the car due to its age and unique systems.  Put it this way, I wouldn't trust an NRMA inspection entirely.  They'd pick a few faults but not be as thorough as an owner that works on they're own car, or a "good" mechanic familiar with old mercs.  It's a start though.

Take it for a couple more runs.  Make sure the car has been standing overnight and try and start it cold.  Better still get the owner to start it whilst you watch the exhaust for smoke.  Keep watching for smoke whilst you drive, bursts of sustained acceleration and deceleration to indicate condition of rings and valve seals and guides.  Brake firmly without skidding to see if the car maintains its line.  Take your foot off the brake quickly to see if you hear a thud that may indicate worn bushes.  Don't know about the instrument lights, do they flicker or just don't work?  Cosmetics are one thing and can be relatively easy to fix if it's virtually rust free.  If the motor and drivetrain behaves you could be onto a good deal.  What's your gut feeling about the car?  BTW, I still haven't seen Ronin.  That's blasphemy!

Good luck with it.  Feel free to ask any questions.  There's plenty of knowledge on this site that will be able to help.

Cletus

It's a 4.5, my post just made it confusing.

Motor and drivetrain seem fine, nice fluid gear changes and little delay when selecting between Drive, Park and Reverse.
The A/C works but for 'some reason' wasn't working when I was there, if it's not working I doubt i'll get it due to the apparent high cost of repairing and the fact the drivers window doesnt move.

Argh, it's only $2500, I think i'm gonna bite the bullet...

Cletus

Just got the Saftey Certificate Inspection done (QLD equivalent of RWC) and there is major rust in the body which is a real bummer, was looking to drive my new 450 SEL up to Cairns for the weekend...

Now looks like it's destined to never happen. Ah well there's till a few 450SEL creeping around Queensland...

oscar

That's a shame cletus.  But it's not the one you want ie: with major rust.  Have you checked out carpoint and carsales.  Most 450's I see advertised that I think are worth a look are either in Vic or QLD and miles from me. Whilst you're in Cairns check out the 6.9 there.   It's not the best out there cosmetically but if all the mechanics are sorted it out it'd be worth a test drive.

BTW where was the rust? 

Cletus

Yeah it's a bummer, checked carpoint and that 6.9 did catch my eye and I was thinking of checking it out this weekend, just to get an idea. There's also a pretty nice 450SEL on the Sunny coast for under 4 grand.

The rust is in the front driver and passenger door, passenger side rear tyre well and "extensive body rust".
The mechanic also recommended replacing the muffler, lower and upper control arm bushes need to be replaced, rear sway bar D bushes to be replaced, rear shock absorbs replaced, but apart from that it's fine! The only real problem that's stopping me from buying it is the rust, and the mechanic advised against purchase. There's plenty of W116's there, I just want one now!